Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
May 6, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #676 of 2,667
  If you are using the 5S I would get the MDR-1A, its easier to drive and IMO a little more musical.

This is between these two headphones only IMO, YMMV
Highs: a little more forward on the MDR-1A, I think better balanced on the M50x
Mids: just right on the MDR-1A, a little recessed on the M50x compared to the MDR-1A
Lows: a little muddy on the MDR-1A until I did the bass mod, goes lower than M50x, M50x is a little loose, not as full compared to MDR-1A

Comfort: MDR-1A soft pads, can get warm after a while, M50x pads not as soft and gets warm after a while also.  If you change the M50x pads to Beyerdynamic velour ones it get more comfortable but it will alter the sound a little, highs get a little recessed but the bass gets a little tighter, more controlled IMO.

@dazzerfong, agree with you for on the go the MDR-1A is great.

Hmm, my ears are sensitive to treble and most EDM tracks are treble boosted, could be piercing :frowning2: 
How is the A1's bass speed compared to M50x ?

May 6, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #677 of 2,667
  Hmm, my ears are sensitive to treble and most EDM tracks are treble boosted, could be piercing :frowning2: 
How is the A1's bass speed compared to M50x ?

MDR-1A bass speed is not as fast as M50x without doing the bass mod and closing of part of the vent, after the mod the bass of the MDR-1A is much better, tight and controlled, getting close to my TH-600 IMO.

May 6, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #678 of 2,667
  I'm still wavering between this (MDR 1A) and ATH M50x.

My music is most of jpop (female vocalist), edm (somewhat basshead). I prefer deep, punchy, fast enough bass-speed which not overwhelming and beautiful/"sweet" mid-range because i listen to the most of female vocals. 

I could have the A1 for only ~$190 in my country and the M50x for ~$170.

I also have both, the ATH-M50x blue with normal pads and velours pads - I reach for the MDR1A most of the time - it's the more fun to listen to headphone. I didn't do the bass vent mod from @DavidA yet but plan to check it out since it's reversible. Just need to get bluetac. 

Overall, I think the more enjoyable headphone is the Sony, the ATh is too clinical for me and the mids do shine more with the Sony. Bass can be a bit flabby but I realized that it's only when I come from another headphone that I feel it like this. If I start with the Sony - it actually feels totally ok....

Cheers,
K

May 7, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #679 of 2,667

I also have both, the ATH-M50x blue with normal pads and velours pads - I reach for the MDR1A most of the time - it's the more fun to listen to headphone. I didn't do the bass vent mod from @DavidA yet but plan to check it out since it's reversible. Just need to get bluetac. 

Overall, I think the more enjoyable headphone is the Sony, the ATh is too clinical for me and the mids do shine more with the Sony. Bass can be a bit flabby but I realized that it's only when I come from another headphone that I feel it like this. If I start with the Sony - it actually feels totally ok....

Cheers,
K

Agree with you that if I go to the MDR-1A from any of my home headphones/amps then the bass is flabby.  Note: I don't use my MDR-1A and M50x much anymore, I found it easier on the go with a momentum over-ear and they are pretty cheap right now since the second generation has come out.

May 7, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #680 of 2,667
Agree with you that if I go to the MDR-1A from any of my home headphones/amps then the bass is flabby.  Note: I don't use my MDR-1A and M50x much anymore, I found it easier on the go with a momentum over-ear and they are pretty cheap right now since the second generation has come out.

Yes, the momentum is a classic. Still a very good sounding headphone. I have it too but didn't listen to it in a long time. Could indeed be very similar to the sony, indeed.

Cheers,
K

May 7, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #682 of 2,667
For those of you who find the bass a tad flabby, it is super effective to do some very modest EQ cuts at 125, 250, and 500hz. Once you trim these back modestly (-1.5db or even -1db) the bass becomes far more articulate sounding to my ears. Ideally you will have a parametric EQ as they are better in the sense that the width of the attenuation can be controlled. If you have a smartphone as your player I can't recommend Neutron enough, audiophile grade, has settings for dither, offers a parametric EQ and is only $7 last look. Not to mention, the developer constantly updates the program and updates are always free.

May 8, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #683 of 2,667
It feels like I maybe got rid of these headphones a bit too soon since that vent-mod had been so easy to try and it probably would have helped to bring some of that flabby bass response I found in better control. Ideally though I found the highs for my taste since I like to listen so that the bass part is fairly loud were slightly bit limiting my listening vol level, not much though but I'd really wanna avoid having to use any EQing since I don't have to with my Q40 and it makes it so much easier to use with any source without having to rely on software EQs and not to mention the software EQs from my experience do hamper sound quality slightly bit, it starts sounding more artificial, digital, less natural somehow, it's difficult to explain with words, I believe only hardware analog EQs would avoid that happening.

May 10, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #684 of 2,667
Hey guys/girls would you recommend the MDR-1A? I listen to things like Two Steps From Hell (Upbeat Instrumentals/Trailer music). I want to be able to hear the minute details in the highs, also does the bass overpower the upper ends? Like it does with most lower cost headphones? I have a Z3 compact which I'll be using to play Flac's. Thanks.

May 14, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #685 of 2,667

Oh yeah, of course the L and R grounds are merged in the end. After all, as you said, there's only a TRS termination on the end of it. Problem isn't that: the problem is that the TRS order is mixed up, or at least what I thought was. Bringing out the multimeter, I verified that the tip was L, 1st ring was R, and the remaining R and sleeve were ground.

Apologies for the mixup: jumped the gun there. Now, going to find out why the cable doesn't work, or not. I kinda like the cable right now: perfect for portable use. If I wanted a 3m monster, I'll just dish out my HD700 instead.

Thanks for the help mate.

So you are saying the TRRS to the headphone goes:
L+ (Tip)   |   R+  (1st Ring)    |   Ground  (2nd Ring)   | Ground (Sleeve) 

The 2nd ring and sleeve are a common ground? Anyone know what that would mean for trying to go balanced without buying the expensive Sony cable?

May 15, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #686 of 2,667
HI GUYS :) i'm really interested in this pair of headphones. I read that they are very comfortable, and that's a very important thing for me.
I need to ask some question:
1) how is the isolation? it's active,passive?
2) how about the bass? I tryed some other pair of sony's headphone, and for what i heard they have near 0 bass. I like them, so i'm a little worried :frowning2: for example, now i have a sennheiser hd439, i like theyr bass

thanks now for all the answers :)

May 15, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #687 of 2,667
  HI GUYS :) i'm really interested in this pair of headphones. I read that they are very comfortable, and that's a very important thing for me.
I need to ask some question:
1) how is the isolation? it's active,passive?
2) how about the bass? I tryed some other pair of sony's headphone, and for what i heard they have near 0 bass. I like them, so i'm a little worried :frowning2: for example, now i have a sennheiser hd439, i like theyr bass

thanks now for all the answers :)

1) Isolation is 'Ok', not as great as more clamping headphones from Ultrasone, Monster, etc. It's passive.
2) Oh no, these have quite a good amount of bass, a bit loose but it's there.

And yes, it's one of the most comfortable headphones out there.

May 15, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #688 of 2,667

1) Isolation is 'Ok', not as great as more clamping headphones from Ultrasone, Monster, etc. It's passive.

1) thanks :) compared to headphone like sennheiser momentum, akg k550, which one is the best for the isolation?
2) thanks! this is a really good news :)

I listen for the most epic,gothic,power metal, and some other genres like ost of games,punk,rock. Do you think that this headphones are ok with this genres? :)
There is some other sony's headphone with active isolation and with a sound at least good as this one?

May 15, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #689 of 2,667

1) thanks :) compared to headphone like sennheiser momentum, akg k550, which one is the best for the isolation?
2) thanks! this is a really good news :)

I listen for the most epic,gothic,power metal, and some other genres like ost of games,punk,rock. Do you think that this headphones are ok with this genres? :)
There is some other sony's headphone with active isolation and with a sound at least good as this one?

1) Momentum (1st version) never had isolation for me because they didn't fit right! (pads too small). Their updated version (Momentum 2.0) have bigger earpads. Isolation is similar though. Had the K551s (basically the same as the K550) and their fit it's a bit loose for my head shape, so again, isolation suffered as well as bass response... (i.e. they sounded bright and without "ooommpphh" but this will vary with fit)

I listen to OST, punk, emo, etc. and they do well. The MDR-1As are one of my favorite overall closed-backs and I have tried lots of them. Not necessarily because of their sound reproduction (which is good, just not excellent), but because they don't leak too much sound unless you are blowing up your ears, they isolate "ok", and they are comfortable and light as heck!

I don't really like ANY stuff in my headphones, so I haven't tried any active isolation/wireless/dsp's etc. gadget-having-headphone in a while. Not sure how those Sony's would sound.

May 15, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #690 of 2,667

Ditto comfort and bass. Plenty of both. The loose bass can tighten up with some EQ cuts and I found they tighten up nicely doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back