Sony MDR-1000X
Sep 1, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #2,251 of 2,709
I just got the 1000x for about $230 recently, but now that the new version is out, I don't know whether I should keep the 1000x or return them (and wait for the new model to drop in price). In the meantime, I can keep using my Bose QC15.

Amazon has a trade in for the QC15 at $115 (or $70, depending on which listing is used, lol), but I might opt to keep the pair even if I end up with a Sony.

Besides the 10 hour increase in battery life of the new 1000x, is it really worth the premium? I don't see any other different features.

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #2,253 of 2,709
Here's my experience:
Bought my pair at Seoul Airport for a whooping $370 but here in Korea you can buy used only for less, enjoyed for a few weeks in Philippines, through thick and thin traveling by boats, speed boats, ferry, not to mention cars, etc.
Got creaking since day 1, after 2 weeks popping sounds started in the right ear, which would go away with ANC turned off.
Got cracks on both sides,btw
Returned to Seoul, went to Sony store/service center.

Wow, they immediately replaced it, it took them 20 minutes (basically they give you new headphones, with the exception of ear pads, cloth inside and a plastic cups outside ( the ones with the sensor)

Well, almost no creaks in a new pair. Lets see how long it will survive without the cracks.

Pretty much impressed with Sony Korea, a little disappointed with the purchase, since the new version came out so soon, could`ve bought the new one.
But then again, who knows if there are other undiscovered defects in the new model...

Overall,ANC cans are really tech loaded and quite fragile, so I would not dare getting it without warranty. (speaking of Bose,I replaced my qc20 4times, until they gave me a flawless unit.
The sound is tolerable, much preferred my ATH-MSR7, but I have found myself using it less and less since its not wireless, so sold `em.
Basically, MDR-1000X are good all-in-one cans, for those who want it all, anc, bt, ldac, etc.
Now thinking if I should get a cheap Sony mobile for LDAC or wait until Oreo is ported to my Moto z play.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #2,257 of 2,709
Not available until 2018 in uk ☹

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #2,259 of 2,709
Hi guys, how are these headphones for classical and rock music? Anything should I consider instead in this category and price range?
best for techno/electronics. Classical is fine, rock is ok. Nothing to write home about. Basically, these are jack-of-all trades cans. ( wireless/wired/ANC) You can't expect anything special from how they sound.
Well, what can I say, a multi k$ Sony AMP drove it very nice. in fact, I listened to
Z1R Premium Headphones and my mdr1000x hooked to that amp + $2000 DAP from sony as a source playing 192kHz flacs at Sony store.
Funny to say, the Z1R were just a tad better in the highs :)
So all In all I would not call its sound remarkable, but its good.
I would love to compare it to oppo PM3 somehow...

Invest a little time and listen to it yourself with your tracks and gear, easily available demo units all over the world.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #2,260 of 2,709
Any word on whether the 1000X Mark II's will improve on the creaking that a lot of users have? Can't tell if they changed the materials at all but the mechanism looks the same which gives me a little worry.

Also anyone know yet whether these will be able to connect the two devices at once without disconnecting the other which the originals couldn't do?

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #2,262 of 2,709
For $230 would you let the hinge issue deter you from buying these? I picked up a pair and like them, but I'm uneasy about the hinge issue.
You're gambling that $230. What's the point of a "good deal" if the headphone ends up breaking after a bit and Sony acts like a pain in the ass when you try to get em fixed? I'd much rather wait for the 2nd version and then consider buy a pair of those.

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #2,264 of 2,709
If I am not wrong, cracking was already defined in some serial numbers, so it could be easy to identify
Mines are ok by now (crossing fingers)

Regarding the sound asked some posts ago, they would fit ok for soft rock and edm, but as I mentioned, with extreme metal sound sometimes get a little confusing/distorted during most exigent parts when volume is around 90%, although it can be due to my Xperia Z3 who doesn't deliver power enough. Maybe somebody using a better source can confirm

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #2,265 of 2,709
After my first pair's headband cracked after 2 months, the replacement just started developing the same cracks after only 3 weeks. The replacement has a serial of 5309623, which is outside of the range Sony claim is affected. It is a 4 month wait until the WH-1000XM2 are available here in the UK, and I have no confidence that they have actually fixed the issue, so I guess I'm going to have to look elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back