Sony MDR-1000X
Aug 27, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #2,221 of 2,709
Amazon has these for $229.99. Best buy had them as well for this price but the price just went back up to $299. So you better hurry if you want them because I'm sure Amazon will raise the price back up once they realize best buy did.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KHZ4ZYY?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=e235d5128b4511e79b29362f91a0a8f90INT
They are priced at $229 and featured in Best Buy's Weekly Ad so they will remain at that price for the duration of the Ad regardless of Best Buy's Online Price (may just be an error). Just purchased my pair and they are tagged on the shelf at $229 as well. There were 2 Pairs available and both Serial #'s were > 5,256,984. Amazon is out of stock until the 31st. ***Update*** Amazon is now showing out of stock for 1 - 2 Months. ***Update #2*** Now showing $299 within the Weekly Ad on .com. May want to see if you can find a Paper Copy if you want to have Best Buy Price Match.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #2,222 of 2,709
Aug 27, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #2,225 of 2,709
best buy might have had a price mistake. they're showing as $299 in the weekly ad.
Just changed to $299 on the .com Weekly Ad. May want to see if you can find a Paper Copy.

Aug 27, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #2,228 of 2,709
I wanted to like these soooo bad. I have wanted some nice noise cancelling headphones for a while now and I don't usually splurge on things like $400(+tax) headphones. I watched what seemed like a hundred different YouTube reviews and decided to take a risk last week and buy these Sony MDR-1000X headphones. What a huge disappointment for me. They have some really cool features but they fall flat in several other areas.
4) If the battery runs low you can't connect them to an iPhone 7 because there is no lightning connector cable. It only comes with a 3.5mm cable. I contacted Sony and they sent me a link for their parts affiliate called Encompass for a $50 cable (!!!) named "Sony Cable (with Plug)" and that's it. No description of what it is. No picture of the product. Nothing. Oh, and it shows it's out of stock for the next 3 months! Yay! (this) All the ones on Amazon have terrible reviews so there's just no option to connect the headphones to the most popular phone on the market? Lame. Lame. Lame. These are getting returned tomorrow.

(edit: I contacted Encompass about the details of that cable and that's actually just the 3.5mm > 3.5mm replacement cable for $50. Not even a Lightning cable. Apparently they don't make/offer a 3.5mm > Lightning cable. So your only options are the cheap sketchy cables on Amazon/eBay.)

The adapter Apple provides is surprisingly absolute junk. Or maybe I just got a bad one. I use it with my earbuds at times and it very frequently stops working. As in the music starts playing loudly out of my phone and not my earbuds. This happens so regularly that I simply dont trust it. I won't even try to play music using it if I'm in public for fear it won't work and I'll look like an ass blaring music out of my phone.

I must say, these two posts triggered me pretty badly. I bought the iPhone 7+, but sold it when I realized I couldn't live without the 3.5mm headphone jack. I ended up buying an iPhone 6s+ that I'm very happy with. I will never buy another Apple iPhone as long as it lacks the 3.5mm headphone jack.

And yet here we have a classic example of someone who cares about wired audio so much, and yet blames Sony for not making a proprietary connector for the stupid iPhone 7. If you cared about wired audio so much, why did you GIVE Apple money for getting rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack?? Vote with your wallet, not blame everyone else when Apple takes something useful away.

Today's consumers are just so passive and iSheep like... anything Apple or the manufacturers do to screw them over, like getting rid of replaceable batteries, extended storage options, or headphone jack, they just blindly accept and will even DEFEND online!!! This blows me away.

I will never buy a smartphone without a 3.5mm headphone jack, no matter how much or how little I use it. It's a matter of principle. I'm already conceding on user replaceable battery, enough already!!!

Aug 27, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #2,229 of 2,709
I must say, these two posts triggered me pretty badly. I bought the iPhone 7+, but sold it when I realized I couldn't live without the 3.5mm headphone jack. I ended up buying an iPhone 6s+ that I'm very happy with. I will never buy another Apple iPhone as long as it lacks the 3.5mm headphone jack.

And yet here we have a classic example of someone who cares about wired audio so much, and yet blames Sony for not making a proprietary connector for the stupid iPhone 7. If you cared about wired audio so much, why did you GIVE Apple money for getting rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack?? Vote with your wallet, not blame everyone else when Apple takes something useful away.

Today's consumers are just so passive and iSheep like... anything Apple or the manufacturers do to screw them over, like getting rid of replaceable batteries, extended storage options, or headphone jack, they just blindly accept and will even DEFEND online!!! This blows me away.

I will never buy a smartphone without a 3.5mm headphone jack, no matter how much or how little I use it. It's a matter of principle. I'm already conceding on user replaceable battery, enough already!!!

Never is a long time. I'm guessing it will not be long before everyone is making phones with no headphone jacks. Wireless is the future and us audiophile types who hang out here are not big enough to change anything.

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #2,230 of 2,709

I didn't "give Apple money for getting rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack". That's just an absurd statement. I gave them money for an iPhone 7 because I use my smartphone for a mountain of various tasks that doesn't involve a 3.5mm jack or audio over headphones in any way. Listening to headphones with my phone comprises probably 1% of my phone use. Why in the world would I choose a phone based on that?

And I'm rolling my eyes hard over the "passive buyer" and "iSheep" comments. Get ahold of yourself. Get rid of replaceable batteries? iPhones never had them so nothing to get rid of. I've been using iPhones since the very first one in 2007 and I've yet to need to replace one. Maybe the other guys have the option because they're inferior devices. Extended storage options? You mean like sd cards? Never needed one. I have a free dropbox account that has 25GB as well as a Google Drive account with another 25GB. I have never one single time wished I had removable storage. Ever.

If you like Androids, great. I hate them. I tried a GS3 out of curiosity when it came out and didn't last but about a month. I hated every single thing about it. But I didn't go online and call people petty names or insult their choices; I just went back to the device I liked.

Aug 28, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #2,231 of 2,709
I went to my local best buy the flyers were there and the manager honored the $229.00 price

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #2,232 of 2,709
Awful news... I'm returning my third pair of MDR-1000X now.

First pair: Headband crack at 4 months.
Second pair: DOA, would charge but could not be turned on.
Third pair: Non-stop crackling/static noise in left ear that kicks in after about 3-4 minutes.

I'm glad I bought a backup pair of QC35 two weeks ago. They just work (though admittedly they're not as good as the Sony).

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #2,233 of 2,709
Awful news... I'm returning my third pair of MDR-1000X now.

First pair: Headband crack at 4 months.
Second pair: DOA, would charge but could not be turned on.
Third pair: Non-stop crackling/static noise in left ear that kicks in after about 3-4 minutes.

I'm glad I bought a backup pair of QC35 two weeks ago. They just work (though admittedly they're not as good as the Sony).
They will announce a new Mark 2 version tomorrow anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back