Sony MDR-1000X
Aug 31, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #2,237 of 2,709
Do you know if the DSEE HX treatment is enabled also with a wired connection (when MDR-1000X is ON) or just during bluetooth transmission?

All features work with wired except the touch controls on the right headphone are only for bt

Aug 31, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #2,239 of 2,709
In fact on mine, even wired you can still listen to the outside world when you cover the right side with your hand

Aug 31, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #2,240 of 2,709
In fact on mine, even wired you can still listen to the outside world when you cover the right side with your hand
That's true the touch to listen feature is really useful

Aug 31, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #2,241 of 2,709
I've been using 1000X's for flights from Miami to Seattle and back. After looking at all the options for travel headphones these were hands down winners for me. For me, the convenience of keeping on my headphones on from the time I pass security until I land is awesome. While I'm waiting for my flight I can hear all the announcements with ambient mode on and then once I'm on the flight the ANC is activated while I enjoy whatever I'm listening to. The 1000X's do lack some bass and there are probably better sounding headphones but the entire package for travel is hard to beat.

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #2,242 of 2,709
I've been using 1000X's for flights from Miami to Seattle and back. After looking at all the options for travel headphones these were hands down winners for me. For me, the convenience of keeping on my headphones on from the time I pass security until I land is awesome. While I'm waiting for my flight I can hear all the announcements with ambient mode on and then once I'm on the flight the ANC is activated while I enjoy whatever I'm listening to. The 1000X's do lack some bass and there are probably better sounding headphones but the entire package for travel is hard to beat.
I think the Bass is in proportion to the other frequencies, just enough for me.

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #2,243 of 2,709
I think the Bass is in proportion to the other frequencies, just enough for me.

That is probably true but I prefer more bass just as personal preference. As reference I have the Mr. Speakers Aeons and would prefer more bass and tone down the treble a little. I have to use the inserts with the Aeons or the treble almost hurts my ears.

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #2,244 of 2,709
That is probably true but I prefer more bass just as personal preference. As reference I have the Mr. Speakers Aeons and would prefer more bass and tone down the treble a little. I have to use the inserts with the Aeons or the treble almost hurts my ears.
Bose QC35 probably have a better sound signature for you.

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #2,247 of 2,709
Bose QC35 probably have a better sound signature for you.
I had the qc35 and returned them as I thought they sounded harsh with limited volume levels also

Sep 1, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #2,248 of 2,709
My pair are still going strong - no creaks, no cracks - serial number 5026657.

Sep 1, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #2,249 of 2,709
I have my own MDR-1000X since 15 days ago and considering these are my first pair of "expensive" HP (I was using Senn ie80 as my best set until receiving these), I don't know how to feel, they don't sound bad, I like them, but maybe was expecting something more spectacular.
As you can imagine, I am only introducing my nose in the good sounding music world, getting some Hi-res albums that I play on my Xperia Z3, as it was considered a very good sounding phone when released (for the mass at least, maybe not in a audiophile point of view)
I mainly listen to extreme metal (death, black, grindcore,...) and also some classical, jazz, folk.
Can be the Z3 the reason of this lack of clarity/tad distortion I feel sometimes? (when metal gets into fast & furious parts) or just a limitation of these headphones?

I have been thinking in trying a better DAP, maybe MW-ZX100 to take advantage of LDAC, although reading some reviews and considering to improve my gear in the future go for AK70 or Onkyo DP-X1, although maybe MDR-1000X can't get the best of these

Sep 1, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #2,250 of 2,709
I have my own MDR-1000X since 15 days ago and considering these are my first pair of "expensive" HP (I was using Senn ie80 as my best set until receiving these), I don't know how to feel, they don't sound bad, I like them, but maybe was expecting something more spectacular.
As you can imagine, I am only introducing my nose in the good sounding music world, getting some Hi-res albums that I play on my Xperia Z3, as it was considered a very good sounding phone when released (for the mass at least, maybe not in a audiophile point of view)
I mainly listen to extreme metal (death, black, grindcore,...) and also some classical, jazz, folk.
Can be the Z3 the reason of this lack of clarity/tad distortion I feel sometimes? (when metal gets into fast & furious parts) or just a limitation of these headphones?

I have been thinking in trying a better DAP, maybe MW-ZX100 to take advantage of LDAC, although reading some reviews and considering to improve my gear in the future go for AK70 or Onkyo DP-X1, although maybe MDR-1000X can't get the best of these

I would like to add, that most of my music library is mp3 @ 320k and some FLAC, because unfortunately extreme metal is hard to find in Hi-res, but I'm listening right now to Gojira - Magma bought in Hdtracks and I feel the above-mentioned sutile lack of clarity/minimum distortion in the heaviest parts at 80% of volume, wired and ANC on

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back