Sony MDR-1000X
Sep 4, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #2,266 of 2,709
After my first pair's headband cracked after 2 months, the replacement just started developing the same cracks after only 3 weeks. The replacement has a serial of 5309623, which is outside of the range Sony claim is affected. It is a 4 month wait until the WH-1000XM2 are available here in the UK, and I have no confidence that they have actually fixed the issue, so I guess I'm going to have to look elsewhere.
crap like this is why I decided against the sony's. Sigh...

Sep 5, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #2,267 of 2,709
You're gambling that $230. What's the point of a "good deal" if the headphone ends up breaking after a bit and Sony acts like a pain in the ass when you try to get em fixed? I'd much rather wait for the 2nd version and then consider buy a pair of those.

Mine cracked and I did a warranty claim for it. I had a crack along the joint and my serial number was in that range They sent me a prepaid label fedex ground I just got my 1000x today. A brand new set sealed in box. It was the wrong color and me serial number is in the 5355 range.

Sep 5, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #2,268 of 2,709
Mine are still flawless. But I use them mostly at home and sometimes at the office. With a few travel experiences here and there.
I think I'm careful with them, so I'm assuming all these cracked units are from people who use them daily to commute, with a lot of mechanical stress.

Anyway, it's good that Sony seems to be taking care of those cases under warranty.

Sep 5, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #2,269 of 2,709
If I am not wrong, cracking was already defined in some serial numbers, so it could be easy to identify
Mines are ok by now (crossing fingers)

Regarding the sound asked some posts ago, they would fit ok for soft rock and edm, but as I mentioned, with extreme metal sound sometimes get a little confusing/distorted during most exigent parts when volume is around 90%, although it can be due to my Xperia Z3 who doesn't deliver power enough. Maybe somebody using a better source can confirm
I ended up returning them. I wasn't worth the gamble. Now I need to find a good pair of headphones as my VModas don't sound as good as the 1000xs!

Sep 6, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #2,270 of 2,709
Been catching lots of email updates but seen a lot of chat about the headphones not working and wanting alternatives - and no mention of the Definitive Technology Symphony 1s.

I need to update this ANC wireless headphones summary with the Sonys:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...quick-guide-comparison-and-discussion.761894/

The Definitive Technology 1s like the Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless, and the Sennheiser PXC550 can be plugged in via USB to listen through the internal DAC.
USB passthrough or whatever you'd like to call it.

Here's a thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/definitive-technology-deftech-symphony-1.749908/

I'd put a camelcamelcamel price drop alert on them, as in the UK at least they dropped to half price at the end of last year - they were around £160 briefly - a total bargain.

I got them imported from from the US from Amazon.com when they weren't available in the UK.

I use them daily and they're showing wear (the leather is synthetic), and the arms should be longer (I have to fully extend them and pull them out), but they're very good.

Sep 6, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #2,271 of 2,709
Just a remark/tip on noise cancellation (NC)

I have found that the recalibration function notably improves the NC. I already habitually push the recalibration button when getting on a train or aircraft. That few seconds are totally worth it.

If I had a flight on a jet and the next flight is on a turboprop, the difference is really remarkable using the 1000X on the turboprop first without calibration and then (re)calibrating.

Sep 6, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #2,272 of 2,709
Just a remark/tip on noise cancellation (NC)

I have found that the recalibration function notably improves the NC. I already habitually push the recalibration button when getting on a train or aircraft. That few seconds are totally worth it.

If I had a flight on a jet and the next flight is on a turboprop, the difference is really remarkable using the 1000X on the turboprop first without calibration and then (re)calibrating.

I'm surprised you liked the recalibration function. First time I accidentally stumble across it, I introduced a weird hum/whoosh sound that wouldn't go away, even after successive recalibration. I lost that silence I had prior to recalibration. Never did get total silence back, but did get close to having it back to normal after subsequent recalibrations.

Sep 7, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #2,276 of 2,709
Right, when there is a problem with some item, usually the bad news spread in the Web faster than good news.
Luckily mines are ok using them around 2hours per day since a month ago.

I hope the faux leather doesn't break easily, as I have a sofa at home only 4
years old that looks like if just returned from fighting in Irak and Afghanistan at same fine

I'm seriously thinking about buying the nw-zx100 for trying to get some more juice. Has anyone tried? I searched info, but only a few opinions around

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #2,277 of 2,709
I'm surprised you liked the recalibration function. First time I accidentally stumble across it, I introduced a weird hum/whoosh sound that wouldn't go away, even after successive recalibration. I lost that silence I had prior to recalibration. Never did get total silence back, but did get close to having it back to normal after subsequent recalibrations.

Calibration does work. I though it was a gimmick initially but after some use noticed it does improve cancellation depending on the type of background hum. The jet/turboprop difference actually aligns with that I've noticed with different types of repetitive background noises.

In certain cases the adjustment might bake the hiss more noticeable, but it will always depend. I use it when I change environment tho, it's worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back