Sony MDR-1000X
Sep 8, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #2,281 of 2,709
I mean, it was high enough for sony to push out a version 2 of it. If a company's willing to sink in money to only slightly modify their product and pretty much destroy the market for their previous version, it's abnormally high.

Maybe, but maybe Sony also realised that the MDR-1000X really only pulled level with the QC35, which is the main competition in this market segment, and felt the need for a new model that could pull ahead on marketable features.

I've had the MDR-1000X for around 3 months now, and they're used daily on my commute. They get folded up and unfolded around 4 times a day and still no signs of creaks or cracks in the headband, so I'm guessing that while there may be a problem, it's not as widespread as the internet would have you believe.

Sep 8, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #2,282 of 2,709
It is easier to return something unopened so given that a lot of people have reported that the creaking only developed after a few days I guess I am weighing up if I can be bothered to test them. Once you have opened and tested something for a few days returning them becomes more complicated. Amazon seem to be getting quite fussy about returns and despite only returning a few things for genuine reasons I recently got a warning email from them (but that's another story!)

Sep 8, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #2,283 of 2,709
I mean, it was high enough for sony to push out a version 2 of it. If a company's willing to sink in money to only slightly modify their product and pretty much destroy the market for their previous version, it's abnormally high.
Didn't realise companies were only allowed to release new products if the previous ones were defective.

Sep 8, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #2,284 of 2,709
It is easier to return something unopened so given that a lot of people have reported that the creaking only developed after a few days I guess I am weighing up if I can be bothered to test them. Once you have opened and tested something for a few days returning them becomes more complicated. Amazon seem to be getting quite fussy about returns and despite only returning a few things for genuine reasons I recently got a warning email from them (but that's another story!)

I'm actually interested in your amazon story. I buy a lot of my things from there and return items as needed as well.

Sep 8, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #2,285 of 2,709
I have returned a few things over the last couple of years, usually high value items such as phones some headphones (H5 wireless due to microphonics) etc all had been opened and tested and whilst returned within the terms of their policy I think they consider an opened item as one that they cannot easily re-sell and then just look at the value of your orders vs. items returned. If the sums do not add up then they will warn you and eventually shut your account.

If you google it there are numerous cases of people having their accounts closed, It is not really fair imo as they should sign-post it better in their T&Cs, the upshot of it is though that Amazon are no longer my go-to place for electronics or anything that I would normally look to try before I buy.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #2,287 of 2,709
Maybe, but maybe Sony also realised that the MDR-1000X really only pulled level with the QC35, which is the main competition in this market segment, and felt the need for a new model that could pull ahead on marketable features.

I've had the MDR-1000X for around 3 months now, and they're used daily on my commute. They get folded up and unfolded around 4 times a day and still no signs of creaks or cracks in the headband, so I'm guessing that while there may be a problem, it's not as widespread as the internet would have you believe.
I think the 1000x sounds better and has slightly better NC than the Bose. The Bose are, however, lighter and more comfortable.

Sep 8, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #2,288 of 2,709
The Sony's just arrived...

Good news they are still sealed as advertised

Bad news serial number is 516XXXXXX which is bang in the middle of the range identified as crack-prone!

Not opened them yet.....

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #2,289 of 2,709

I mean, good for you but have you heard the QC35s? I don't think you could ever say that the Bose's are better or even equal in sound quality. The Sony's pretty much crushes them in that respect. The MDR-1000X was THE headphone to get if you wanted ANC on a similar level to the Bose's but better sound quality. It also had tons more features than the Bose's did. The only thing that the Bose's has a slight edge on was comfort and I have some serious doubts that this is going to change on a single year iteration of a product.

Didn't realise companies were only allowed to release new products if the previous ones were defective.

Didn't realize Sony fanboys were worse than apple ones.

It's been a YEAR since the original MDR-1000X was available for PRE-ORDER. A single year. This isn't a goddamn phone, it's a headphone. The average consumer doesn't get a new pair of cans every single year. So yes, most sane companies with a decent grasp of business and the headphone market would not be pushing out a version two. Especially when that version two looks the same, feels the same, has mostly the same features, and can only boast longer battery life as the main difference. I have some serious doubts that one year of sales was enough to clear out their inventory and recoup their development/marketing costs.

Btw this is all coming from a guy who regretfully decided on the QC35 over the MDR-1000X because I absolutely needed the strong ANC due to my work but also wasn't willing to gamble $300 on plastic hinges. I'd happily return my Bose's and get the new Sony's if they release it fast enough and it doesn't have that issue.

Sep 8, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #2,290 of 2,709
Don't sony release the mk2 version because of their strategy in new ANC product line up?

They removed the 1000X from the MDR headphone lineup and now all ANC phone re-named as 1000X.(WF-1000X, WI-1000X, WH-1000X)
At the same time, they now added an app to control or fine tune all 1000X products with your smartphone.

Don't think sony release the 1000X mk2 just for the crack issue. More like a restart of their ANC product line with some improvement.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #2,291 of 2,709
I will probably sell off my 1000X for the next iteration of Bose QC Over-ears. The comfort difference is too large on commuting headphones for me.

Sep 10, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #2,294 of 2,709
Does anyone know which serial number range that is known for the cracking problems? i think at 255 Euro on amazon it is hard not to consider it!
Was a Wharehouse deal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back