Sony MDR-1000X
Sep 13, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #2,311 of 2,709
I have contacted Sony and they have confirmed the issue and that mine fall in the serial # range of affected units. So if mine do crack I guess I'm good, other than probably being without them for several weeks.

I'm more worried about creaks right now as that would be show-stopper for me, touch wood mine are fine so far.

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #2,312 of 2,709
Just got the M2s about an hour ago, quickie impressions to follow:

- these sound pretty much the same as the originals. Perhaps the bass is a touch bloomier? Even then, it's just a smidgen more. Otherwise vocals are similar. The M2s handle pop and jazz with aplomb, but they couldn't quite cut it on the new Queens Of The Stone Age album. That might not be a dealbreaker just yet though, the M2s have a companion app which lets you adjust EQ.

- Sony must have done something to the physical construction of the headset because these are much more comfortable on the head. Both headsets are 275g but the M2s don't clamp as hard and the earpads are more plush. Good improvement there

-Tech-wise, the M2s have gotten a massive upgrade. If the OG 1000xs led the field with its featureset, the M2s just made yet another leap, leaving everybody else even further behind. I obviously wasn't able to test atmospheric calibration, but the Adaptive Sound Whatchamallit is the real deal. It'll now filter out voice, which worked brilliantly on a crowded bus ride.

Pics below, OG is on the left, M2 on the right. Only physical differences I can see are the textured cups and the Sony branding on the side
DSCPDC_0002_BURST20170919203223325.JPG DSC_0050.JPG DSC_0047.JPG DSC_0048.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #2,315 of 2,709
i got these yesterday and had a question for owners: I know this is not a true multipoint headset, which could seamlessly switch between two devices. However I was under the impression that I could disconnect from one device and then connect to another. But when I try to do that between my iphone and ipad it doesn't work; I have to turn off the bluetooth radio for the headset to fully disconnect before connecting to the other device.

Also it doenst help that the Sony headphone app is only available for the iphone and not the ipad.

Am I doing something wrong?

thanks!

Sep 19, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #2,316 of 2,709
I picked up the WH-1000XM2 model today. My last pair of ANC headphones were the QC25's. I was really hoping the surround effects these headphones offered would be a suitable substitute for crossfeed, or the Surround->Studio setting on my NW-ZX2, which fairly subtly simulates a HiFi 2 speaker setup. This can be great for extreme stereo separation albums, such as the Beatles stereo remasters.

Sadly, the surround effects on the WH-1000XM2 are HORRIBLE. They are limited to Arena, Club, Outdoor Stage, and Concert Hall. These are all an echoey mess, instead of something actually useful. I just wanted to give anyone who was interested in these virtual surround effects a heads up. They are absolutely useless, and not a substitute at all for a simple crossfeed algorithm or the Studio Surround option on Sony's high end Walkman series.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #2,318 of 2,709
I have contacted Sony and they have confirmed the issue and that mine fall in the serial # range of affected units. So if mine do crack I guess I'm good, other than probably being without them for several weeks.

I'm more worried about creaks right now as that would be show-stopper for me, touch wood mine are fine so far.
Could you please share the serial # range of affected units?
I want to check if mine is affected or not.
Much appreciated.

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #2,320 of 2,709
To the new model owners:
1) Is the mic still mediocre for calls ? Sometimes people can't hear me on noisy environment with old 1000x
2) Is the app of any use ? no really, I mean, after you played enough with it, are you gonna use it in real life every day ? or is It more or less fire-and-forget thing ? ( Like my nwz615 has an app with eq and more stuff, however, I used it for 3 or 4 times in 2 years. ( even the app and eq can't save them for their awful sound, but I keep em and love em for water/heat resistance, its the only hp you can use in the sauna and in the pool)
3) Was Multipoint added/fixed ?
Thanks in advance.
As for the creaks, cracks, my previous model ( It was produced in the beginning of production cycle) had it all, and died eventually from right ear electronics defect
The replacement pair, on the other hand is perfect, not as tight, sits very comfortably, no creaks, cracks as of yet.
(The replacement is not correct technically, since they leave your ear pads and touch sensor pads and replace the rest)

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #2,321 of 2,709
well, I have bad news for you guys: It seems that I'm just keeping the old ones :)
Damn, SONY, why make the best NC cans and use really crappy plastic ?
My other Sony HPs proven the most durable of all other brands.
This just doesnt make any sense :)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #2,323 of 2,709
Just got the M2s about an hour ago, quickie impressions to follow:

- these sound pretty much the same as the originals. Perhaps the bass is a touch bloomier? Even then, it's just a smidgen more. Otherwise vocals are similar. The M2s handle pop and jazz with aplomb, but they couldn't quite cut it on the new Queens Of The Stone Age album. That might not be a dealbreaker just yet though, the M2s have a companion app which lets you adjust EQ.

- Sony must have done something to the physical construction of the headset because these are much more comfortable on the head. Both headsets are 275g but the M2s don't clamp as hard and the earpads are more plush. Good improvement there

-Tech-wise, the M2s have gotten a massive upgrade. If the OG 1000xs led the field with its featureset, the M2s just made yet another leap, leaving everybody else even further behind. I obviously wasn't able to test atmospheric calibration, but the Adaptive Sound Whatchamallit is the real deal. It'll now filter out voice, which worked brilliantly on a crowded bus ride.

Pics below, OG is on the left, M2 on the right. Only physical differences I can see are the textured cups and the Sony branding on the side

Thanks for the review!

I didn't know the new model was available already because amazon UK said it would be ready for January 1st 2018 Af lead in the U.K.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #2,324 of 2,709
i got these yesterday and had a question for owners: I know this is not a true multipoint headset, which could seamlessly switch between two devices. However I was under the impression that I could disconnect from one device and then connect to another. But when I try to do that between my iphone and ipad it doesn't work; I have to turn off the bluetooth radio for the headset to fully disconnect before connecting to the other device.

Also it doenst help that the Sony headphone app is only available for the iphone and not the ipad.

Am I doing something wrong?

thanks!
You mean the M2 yes? The OG 1000xes don't work with the app. I don't think either sets have multipoint connectivity. To Bose's credit, multipoint was something the QC35 aboslutely nailed.

iPhone apps can also be downloaded for the iPad, you just have to expand the search options in the app store on your iPad to include iPhone apps.
To the new model owners:
1) Is the mic still mediocre for calls ? Sometimes people can't hear me on noisy environment with old 1000x
2) Is the app of any use ? no really, I mean, after you played enough with it, are you gonna use it in real life every day ? or is It more or less fire-and-forget thing ? ( Like my nwz615 has an app with eq and more stuff, however, I used it for 3 or 4 times in 2 years. ( even the app and eq can't save them for their awful sound, but I keep em and love em for water/heat resistance, its the only hp you can use in the sauna and in the pool)
3) Was Multipoint added/fixed ?
Thanks in advance.
As for the creaks, cracks, my previous model ( It was produced in the beginning of production cycle) had it all, and died eventually from right ear electronics defect
The replacement pair, on the other hand is perfect, not as tight, sits very comfortably, no creaks, cracks as of yet.
(The replacement is not correct technically, since they leave your ear pads and touch sensor pads and replace the rest)
1) I haven't used the mic in an outdoor environment yet, but I've just made a quick call in the office to the wife and she says it's clear enough? /shrugs
2) the app has a bunch of options and it's the only way you'll be able to control the adaptive sound, or most of the new stuff. Took a quick screengrab last night:
Screenshot_20170919-195104.png

well, I have bad news for you guys: It seems that I'm just keeping the old ones :)
Damn, SONY, why make the best NC cans and use really crappy plastic ?
My other Sony HPs proven the most durable of all other brands.
This just doesnt make any sense :)

This was taken from sirhendro's Youtube vid? there's some Reddit discussion already going on as well. I'm going to wait a few weeks to see if more people chime in with their M2s, but I find it incredible that Sony did absolutely nothing to address the cracking headband. If this is true, the M2 is already doomed, and we can forget about any discussion going forward. This thread went to absolute shyte with all the complaining about the 1000x; I get that the headband issue is real, but...damn.

Thanks for the review!

I didn't know the new model was available already because amazon UK said it would be ready for January 1st 2018 Af lead in the U.K.
These were just launched in Singapore on the 18th, I presume Asia gets the M2 early

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back