Sony MDR-1000X
Sep 19, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #2,326 of 2,709
Well, as in my previous post, my replacement pair is good, no creaking or cracking.
Using it folding every day, etc. So by the end of production cycle they got it right I guess.
Although I heard, the replacement process in other countries is not that easy, as the one I experienced in Korea (15 min)
Thats real shame.
Bose exchanges the HP if you have even slightest concern, but if you have to fight to replace the cracked cans, thats no go.

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #2,328 of 2,709
The "affected range" is meaningless. It is all of them.

I have had 2 with cracked headbands that are outside the serial range, so you cannot assume you are safe just because you are out of that range.

Sep 20, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #2,329 of 2,709
In the UK the 1000xm2 is available at Currys and John Lewis online, they went live last week (i am not sure why Amazon says 1 Jan 2018). I collected a pair from Currys last weekend, i also picked up some QC 35s, as from reading online i decided it was best to grab both and see which i prefer.

The band issue is worrying but i would have thought Sony have at least tried to fix it for the xm2. I am not convinced by the YouTube video posted above showing the issue with the xm2, to me it looks like a scratch rather than a hairline crack.

Anyway, i was hoping someone here could advise, as this is my first experience of noise cancelling headphones, which i have decided to purchase as i have many flights/long journeys upcoming. When no sound is playing, and the NC is activated, in the QC35s i just have complete silence whereas with the xm2s there is a noise present - like listening to a faint breeze. Is this normal for the Sony's?

I am on the fence about which pair to keep, both have pros and cons.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #2,330 of 2,709
Anyway, i was hoping someone here could advise, as this is my first experience of noise cancelling headphones, which i have decided to purchase as i have many flights/long journeys upcoming. When no sound is playing, and the NC is activated, in the QC35s i just have complete silence whereas with the xm2s there is a noise present - like listening to a faint breeze. Is this normal for the Sony's?
Yep, normal.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #2,331 of 2,709
I’m not saying that the NC on the QC35 is better but I do think it is more powerful.

I actually prefer the bose overall tbh although the Sony’s so sound better. I just had audio drop outs with the 2 sets I tried when moving.

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #2,332 of 2,709
Believe It is 5000001-5256984. Mine are 516xxxx
Thanks for the info.

Did you get the replacement?

Mine looks fine now and I'm very cautious when folding the headphones. Please don't crack after one-year warranty...

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #2,333 of 2,709
Thanks for the info.

Did you get the replacement?

Mine looks fine now and I'm very cautious when folding the headphones. Please don't crack after one-year warranty...

I got my replacement a brand new pair sealed in box. They did send the wrong color I had black. I got the beige one. In all honesty I've only seen cracks in the black ones.

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #2,334 of 2,709
You mean the M2 yes? The OG 1000xes don't work with the app. I don't think either sets have multipoint connectivity. To Bose's credit, multipoint was something the QC35 aboslutely nailed.

iPhone apps can also be downloaded for the iPad, you just have to expand the search options in the app store on your iPad to include iPhone apps.

Correct I meant the M2. I did get the Sony app on both the iphone and Ipad thanks for the tip. However, even with the app installed, it's still the same problem: I have to manually disconnect my headphones from the bluetooth menu of one device before connecting to another. Unless I'm missing something (and I really hope I am), this is such a dumb way to handle multiple connections. Even a $20 pair of knock off Bluetooth headphones with no multipoint automatically disconnect the previous device when connecting to a new one...[/QUOTE]

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #2,335 of 2,709
I got my replacement a brand new pair sealed in box. They did send the wrong color I had black. I got the beige one. In all honesty I've only seen cracks in the black ones.
My unit is black. It was purchased in January but I'm not using it that much. Hope SONY will acknowledge the issue if it does crack after warranty...

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #2,337 of 2,709
You mean the M2 yes? The OG 1000xes don't work with the app. I don't think either sets have multipoint connectivity. To Bose's credit, multipoint was something the QC35 aboslutely nailed.

iPhone apps can also be downloaded for the iPad, you just have to expand the search options in the app store on your iPad to include iPhone apps.

Correct I meant the M2. I did get the Sony app on both the iphone and Ipad thanks for the tip. However, even with the app installed, it's still the same problem: I have to manually disconnect my headphones from the bluetooth menu of one device before connecting to another. Unless I'm missing something (and I really hope I am), this is such a dumb way to handle multiple connections. Even a $20 pair of knock off Bluetooth headphones with no multipoint automatically disconnect the previous device when connecting to a new one...
I can't believe Sony couldn' get this feature done when packing so many other "smart" features. It is so annoying when 1000x automatically connects to a device then you have to physically locate the device and disconnect from it...

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #2,338 of 2,709
I can't believe Sony couldn' get this feature done when packing so many other "smart" features. It is so annoying when 1000x automatically connects to a device then you have to physically locate the device and disconnect from it...

So I'm not crazy? This is how they work? No way to easily connect/disconnect between two devices?

I never owned the first ones so I had no idea this was the case. I'm actually VERY surprised that none of the reviewers mention this and that it got such high marks. Yes it sounds great, but switching between multiple devices is such a basic, essential thing. I will be returning them asap.

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #2,340 of 2,709
I've gotten into the habit of holding down the power button when I turn them on to put them into pairing mode (which disconnects them from the previous device).

I see. Good idea hadnt thought of that. Still a pain though to have to go through all these hoops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back