Sony MDR-1000X
Aug 4, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #2,193 of 2,709
B&W P7 Wireless. Absolutely slamming bass, but nevertheless under control, and they go loud. Even on older tracks that were mastered before the loudness wars (typically -6dB without much use of a limiter) I’ve never pushed the volume beyond the 50% according to my iToys.

Oh, and they’re not just about the bass, they do the other stuff fantasically as well. I do love the MDR-1000X as it’s a rythmiclly fast headphone, but the B&W P7W brings more smiles to my face.

Bought the P7 Wireless today and Jesus, the bass impact and volume on these things are pretty nuts, yet the treble is crispy without being sibilant. Thanks for recommending these, so fun to listen to.

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #2,194 of 2,709
So what's the verdict on the cracking issue with these? I wanted to get ANC capable headphones for $350 and the mdr 1000x seemed like a perfect fit but I don't want to pay 300+ for a headphone that's just going to break after some light usage... I considered bose but you can't turn off the ANC while it's wireless which is just so stupid.

Are there other wireless/ANC headphones out there under <350 that are of similar quality (sans the breaking)?

Aug 5, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #2,195 of 2,709
Only had them for a day but they felt solid too me. No creaking on the joints or anything. I have a big head too lol.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #2,196 of 2,709
So what's the verdict on the cracking issue with these? I wanted to get ANC capable headphones for $350 and the mdr 1000x seemed like a perfect fit but I don't want to pay 300+ for a headphone that's just going to break after some light usage... I considered bose but you can't turn off the ANC while it's wireless which is just so stupid.

Are there other wireless/ANC headphones out there under <350 that are of similar quality (sans the breaking)?

Also looking for an answer to this, anybody had it for a few months that can give us an update?

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #2,197 of 2,709

I've owned them for a couple of months now....no creaks.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #2,199 of 2,709
How's your handling been with them? They apparently develop creaks from folding and putting back into the case, do you do this often?

Pretty much every work day.

I rotate QC20's in the morning when I don't want to mess up my waxed hair on my way to work, my Shockwave III's through my DAC / Amp at work and then my MDR-1000X after my last meeting of the day when I don't care about how my hair looks plus the commute home. I take each one out of their case and put them back in each day.

Aug 5, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #2,201 of 2,709
Does any wireless headphone beat the P7 on SQ?

Will be interesting once LDAC and Android O comes into play.

Aug 5, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #2,202 of 2,709
Does any wireless headphone beat the P7 on SQ?

Will be interesting once LDAC and Android O comes into play.
]DSR9BT ??

Ain't heard them but I see them recommended a lot, granted they cost an extra £200 over the P7W(£300 vs £499)

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #2,203 of 2,709
I had a listen to the ATH-DSR9BT against the 1000x and the Audio Technica to me tends toward more neutrality than the 1000x.

The 1000x sounds more mid-recessed by comparison. Of the two, if one wanted more neutral tones and prepared to sacrifice ANC, then IMHO give the Audio Technical a demo.

But if one wants more fun sounding and needs ANC, then the 1000x.

Personally for my needs & preferences, I'm sticking to my 1000x for awhile.

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #2,204 of 2,709
That's the DSR9BT off my list of sets I'd like to hear. Neutral isn't my cup of tea it seems.

Aug 17, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #2,205 of 2,709
I did a review about 5 months ago.

Since then the headband cracked. I didn't understand why because I just wear these from home to work and back and otherwise they rest on my sideboard. Nothing out of the ordinary!

I did a search and found lots of others have had them crack in exactly the same spot and that once it begins the earpiece will rapidly dislocate entirely. I sent them back for repair ($20 postage) and got new ones back 2 weeks later.

These ones are brand new but appear to be DOA; plugged them in to charge like normal, when they finished (a bit too fast, I think half an hour, maybe they were already quite charged) I unplugged them and they won't turn on. Tried a whole bunch of the different button combinations in the online manual to reset them and no go.

I'm giving them another shot to charge otherwise it looks like they'll be going back (another $20 postage) and another two weeks without headphones. It's so depressing - I really really wish I had bought the QC35 now.

(Also my old headset developed a LOT of creaking over time when you're walking or even swivelling on your chair at work. I'd factor that strongly into anyone else's purchasing choice because it became very annoying once it started and you begin to try to avoid moving your head too much which isn't healthy.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back