Sony Linkbuds S Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #137 of 176
Actualicé y la conexión bluetooth se ha vuelto bastante inestable (como hace dos actualizaciones de firmware, si alguien tuvo problemas similares). Muchos cortes muy cortos, ambos lados. Debería haberme quedado con la versión de firmware anterior...
I am also experiencing cuts, when I am listening to music or video there are times when the connection is lost, I have to put the headphones back in the box and put them back on for them to work.

Apr 11, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #138 of 176
Hey! I'm on my second pair of linkbuds and love them but I'm having issues with the noise cancelling.

My first pair experienced the common popping/white noise sound whenever noise cancelling was enabled after a few weeks. Now my replacement pair - which I've had about a month - seem to be leaking sound through the ANC.

Whenever I have the noise cancelling turned on I can still hear significant surrounding noise e.g. someone at the other end of a train carridge speaking, keyboard typing sounds etc. that I would expect to be cancelled out. Recently my partner was on a call next to me and I could hear the person on the other end of the phone speaking through the linkbud's noise cancelling.

If I have loud or deep music on it mostly covers the sound, but the moment the music is quiet or thinner in sound I can hear everything pretty much as if the ANC was turned off.

I don't remember the first pair being like this before they broke - does it sound like I've got another faulty pair or is this just what the linkbuds are like?

Apr 11, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #139 of 176
Hey! I'm on my second pair of linkbuds and love them but I'm having issues with the noise cancelling.

My first pair experienced the common popping/white noise sound whenever noise cancelling was enabled after a few weeks. Now my replacement pair - which I've had about a month - seem to be leaking sound through the ANC.

Whenever I have the noise cancelling turned on I can still hear significant surrounding noise e.g. someone at the other end of a train carridge speaking, keyboard typing sounds etc. that I would expect to be cancelled out. Recently my partner was on a call next to me and I could hear the person on the other end of the phone speaking through the linkbud's noise cancelling.

If I have loud or deep music on it mostly covers the sound, but the moment the music is quiet or thinner in sound I can hear everything pretty much as if the ANC was turned off.

I don't remember the first pair being like this before they broke - does it sound like I've got another faulty pair or is this just what the linkbuds are like?
You sure you are on anc and not on ambient mode ?

And have you checked that you have a propper seal ?

Anc is never going to completely eliminate voices and the like, it is mainly aimed towards lower frequencies and constant droning noise like engines and so on

Apr 11, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #140 of 176
You sure you are on anc and not on ambient mode ?

And have you checked that you have a propper seal ?

Anc is never going to completely eliminate voices and the like, it is mainly aimed towards lower frequencies and constant droning noise like engines and so on
Yes, definitely on ANC and the largest size tips possible before they start to pop out of my ears!

It still does a decent sized job of taking out low frequencies but for anything else the ANC is no better than the PNC on my £10 skullcandy earphones, which is a bit disapointing if this is just how the linkbuds function.
Mainly questioning it because I don't remember noticing my first pair letting voices etc. through like this pair are doing so wondered if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #141 of 176
Yes, definitely on ANC and the largest size tips possible before they start to pop out of my ears!

It still does a decent sized job of taking out low frequencies but for anything else the ANC is no better than the PNC on my £10 skullcandy earphones, which is a bit disapointing if this is just how the linkbuds function.
Mainly questioning it because I don't remember noticing my first pair letting voices etc. through like this pair are doing so wondered if anyone else has experienced something similar.
Have you run the actual test in the app to check seal ?

I get voices and other higher frequency noise getting through to some extent on all anc iems and headphones I own or have tried.

Apr 12, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #142 of 176
Have you run the actual test in the app to check seal ?

I get voices and other higher frequency noise getting through to some extent on all anc iems and headphones I own or have tried.
Thanks, didn't realise I could check it in the app so that was a helpful prompt! But it's saying that they're air tight so maybe the ANC is just not as good as I expected it would be.

Apr 12, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #143 of 176
Thanks, didn't realise I could check it in the app so that was a helpful prompt! But it's saying that they're air tight so maybe the ANC is just not as good as I expected it would be.
I think many people have unrealistic expectations as to how much and what ambient sound anc can eliminate, it is never going to be a bubble of silence

Apr 12, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #144 of 176

You may need to use foam ear tips to increase passive noise isolation + ANC for near total noise cancelling. I'm using the small foam tips supplied with the WF-1000XM4. Here's links to the foams from Sony Encompass which unfortunately is only for purchase in the USA. Maybe you can find a source for UK / EU purchase? The tips may change the sound signature of the LinkBuds S, as always with these type of suggestions, YMMV.

Just one more thing, for those purchasing from the encompass site, the tips do not ship as pairs. Quantity 1 is just that, you'll receive only one ear tip not a pair of tips.

Large tips 5-025-921-02
Medium tips 5-025-919-02
Small tips 5-025-918-02

Apr 21, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #145 of 176
I'm considering getting a second pair of these (for me wifey). In Japanese yen, Amazon has them for 21,800 plus 1100 (22,900 total) for a 5 year extended warranty that only covers defects of the item. Lose any buds, screwed.

But, Sony has theirs 28,710 which include a 5 year warranty that covers even damage due to clumsiness or weather disasters as well as replacing a lost earbud for free (2 years warranty for the lost earbud, but included). Which route would you guys take? I love the Linkbuds S. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

Apr 24, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #146 of 176
I guess no advice. A person can ask 🤷🏻‍♂️

Apr 24, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #147 of 176
I guess no advice. A person can ask 🤷🏻‍♂️
Happens to me regularly, participate on threads for years, ask a question and no reply.......⤵️
There are people who always lose things and their phone screens are always cracked - is she one of those people that might benefit from the warranty? Would you be likely to keep for 5 years? Usually battery capacity lessens around 3+ years. Also, new models with new tech come out after a couple of years that might make an upgrade worth it. They generally replace with refurbished ones unless stated that they'll replace with new. As new models come out the price of the old ones can drop, so it depends if you see value in that extra money.

Apr 24, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #148 of 176
Happens to me regularly, participate on threads for years, ask a question and no reply.......⤵️
There are people who always lose things and their phone screens are always cracked - is she one of those people that might benefit from the warranty? Would you be likely to keep for 5 years? Usually battery capacity lessens around 3+ years. Also, new models with new tech come out after a couple of years that might make an upgrade worth it. They generally replace with refurbished ones unless stated that they'll replace with new. As new models come out the price of the old ones can drop, so it depends if you see value in that extra money.
I have a general electrical goods insurance with my normal insurance company that covers most general issues with most items so never bother with taking out additional coverage for individual items unless it is something very special and expensive that my general insurance wont cover sufficiently

Apr 24, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #149 of 176
She's not clumsy. But things are out of my control. My XM3 overear cans had their better not work in cold and hot temperatures after 4 years, and the long term warranty replaced them along with fresh new earpads. So far, it has helped. Ok, so now that I'm answering this after getting some feedback, it makes more sense now. Thanks, guys. Sometimes asking just helps narrow the reasons why and thing I can make my choice.

Apr 24, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #150 of 176
I'm considering getting a second pair of these (for me wifey). In Japanese yen, Amazon has them for 21,800 plus 1100 (22,900 total) for a 5 year extended warranty that only covers defects of the item. Lose any buds, screwed.

But, Sony has theirs 28,710 which include a 5 year warranty that covers even damage due to clumsiness or weather disasters as well as replacing a lost earbud for free (2 years warranty for the lost earbud, but included). Which route would you guys take? I love the Linkbuds S. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers.
I have purchased 3 pair; one as a backup and another as a gift. Love these and can sleep with them in. My first pair had over 2500 hours on them in 9 mo and the left bud started acting up. Sony replaced them for no cost. Seriously I used the hell out of that pair and tortured them. Washer, left out in 100f heat. I wouldn't make your decision on five year warranty. By then Sony will have better buds for likely the same out of pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back