Sony Linkbuds S Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2022 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 175

dweaver

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't think these new Linkbuds S are getting the attention they deserve! :xf_cool:

I took a gamble on a pair of these, doing something I rarely do especially on Sony gear... I paid full retail!

My reasoning was pretty simple, all the reviews I read or watched showed a microphone that was clearly better than the WF-1000XM4, a size that was clearly smaller and obviously more comfortable. They were better priced (MSRP to MSRP) and they had MOST of the technical bells and whistles of the WF-1000XM4. The reviews almost all said the WF-1000XM4 was better, being more "dynamic" or some other fluffy vague term. This actually had me hoping the Linkbuds S would be more balanced, something I had started to really dislike about Sony's BT headphone/IEM's over the past few years.

My biggest concerns and gripes after buying them were around Sony deliberately neutering of some of the features to ensure this were below the WF-1000XM4 such as dropping the wind setting for ANC, and losing wireless charging. The first concern I really hope Sony reconsiders and adds in with a firmware update, the second is not fixable but also one that I can live without personally. But sad Sony went that route...

But I actually think they neutered these because they were afraid they would eclipse the WF-1000XM4 making it harder to sell the old model.

In this vein I think they had good reason to be afraid. In my opinion the Linkbuds S are Sony's BEST SOUNDING true wireless product to date! YES these do not sound like the WF-1000XM3 and by extension will be considerably less bass oriented and dark sounding than the WF-1000XM4! But this is a WELCOME return to form for Sony in my opinion!

I also am very impressed with the Adaptive Sound Control and ability to set location based settings. The ANC may not be quite as good the WF-1000XM4 but it is still darn good, as good or better than my other flagship ANC products I own such as Technics AZ60 and the ability to control the ambient level by activity or location is great. The microphone is the best TWS mic I have personally owned.

The only other issue I have is battery life which is just on the right side of being OK. But I also get that this may have been a sacrifice needed to keep these so light and comfy.

I hope that Sony releases a new version in a year or 2 that improves on the complaints and keeps this wonderful sound signature intact! If they do I will be standing in line for that model too!

I will be doing a full review soon, but thought people who own these deserved a place to discuss them by themselves plus I thought I might be posting a bit to much about these in the TWS are we there yet thread.

Jul 13, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 175
Just received mine today. My main hopefull use case is for all night sleep buds to get rid of wires(I play audio books while I sleep). Hoping they are small enough to sleep on my side and that the battery without anc will last a full night. However Sony's claim that they are the smallest ever tws is not correct, my Earin M2 are still a fair bit smaller but only last 3 hours on a charge

C939BEA7-B1C2-4A8C-8B18-78EE90DC61BF.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 175
If you use SBC you might get a full night. Using AAC I get about 5-6hrs.

Jul 13, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 175
It’ll be aac but without anc so should give 8 hours

Jul 13, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #5 of 175
I listen to hires music which may be why the battery doesn't last all night. Hopefully you get better results.

Jul 13, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 175
I listen to hires music which may be why the battery doesn't last all night. Hopefully you get better results.
Yes I’m on iPhone and will be playing relatively low bit rate Audible audio books

Jul 14, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 175
They have plenty battery to last me a whole nights audio book listening and they are just about small enough to sleep on my side with minimal pain that probably goes away after a few weeks use but it would have been great if the size had been that of the Earin M2 but then the battery probably couldn't hold enough for all night

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #8 of 175
I realized mine were using transparent mode last night. Turned it off and they lasted all night with no alerts.

Agree about size just a smidge to deep for my ears as well.

Jul 14, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #9 of 175
These are considerable leaner/bass light/ more neutral than the XM4 and vocals seems to be more recessed and from my iPhone the actual volume is lower than the XM4 for the same volume setting

Jul 14, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #10 of 175
I have not owned the XM4 but compared to the XM3 which is even more bass light than the XM4 from everything I have read I find the Linkbuds S leaner on the bass than that model. The midrange to me is not recessed but cooler versus warmer. This would make these less lush sounding than the XM3 and by extension the XM4. a small tweak in the midbass might warm them up just a bit for you.

Jul 14, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #11 of 175
Since my primary use is audio books at night the tuning is perfectly fine but I would miss the fuller/thicker XM4 signature for music during commuting

Jul 14, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #12 of 175
I set the 400hz to +3 and 1000hz to +2 and that added some warmth to the midrange. Not quite sure it needs to 1000hz tweak though, will play some more and see. The 400hz tweak definitely warms things just a smidge.

Jul 16, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #13 of 175
Have been using them today out and about walking and bussing and the are perfectly acceptable with anc and a bit of eq. Not quite up to XM4 level but still very good. I have no problem with the size and fit of either XM4 or XM3 but the smaller size of these sure is nice. Will still be using the XM4 for normal commuting though. And even though they don’t have the anti wind noise feature they are virtually as good as the XM4 in this respect, possibly because the mic is closer to the skull

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #14 of 175
As I said in the wireless earbuds thread, these are the best wireless earbuds I have used.

I have previously used various iterations of Samsung Buds, and had issues with each of them. The Plus fitted well but the sound was merely ok, the Pro sounded good but did not fit well, and the 2 sounded decent but was very slippery with it's smooth pebble-like texture.

I was intrigued by the Linkbuds S, as I had seen various reviews online praising them. I chose to buy these rather than the slightly more expensive XM4 earbuds, as these are apparently smaller and more comfortable than those.

I bought these thinking that I would return them if I did not like them. However, I was not prepared for how good they are. The Linkbuds S are extremely good and have become my default earbuds for outdoors and chilling in the house listening to music.

The Linkbuds S sound very good, fit well and are extremely comfortable. Basically, this is what I want from a wireless earbud.

The sounds has been described in various reviews as "polite" and lacking excitement. I disagree with this assessment, because listening to music through these is a joy for me. The sound is well balanced and aligns perfectly with my preference.

This is a great wireless earbud, and definitely deserves your consideration if you are looking for a £200 wireless earbud.

Jul 17, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #15 of 175
Playing Audible audio books from my iPhone with dsee, eq and anc all disabled gives me about 10 hours play time on a charge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back