SONY IER-Z1R
Dec 28, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #14,836 of 15,275
2024 coming in few days, wow to this amazing HALL of FAME iem still amazed me everyday to this journey of life and music, many new iems out this year and Z1R still belong legit to this level of satisfy, less foam open up mids and improve liquid sub-bass, coreir tips open nice deep soundstage, Xe6 cable is just synergy perfect pair with wm1z
cheer

Z!R.jpg

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #14,837 of 15,275
Isn't FH7 a 2021 product? Have only heard FH5, but most reviews/impressions I've heard or read won't even rate them that well in the sub 500 category. But, hey, if it works for you nothing like it. Stating that you couldn't hear any difference and found FH7 better is completely fine, but I think your tone definitely comes across as condescending.

Z1R is one of the very few IEMs which have really stood the test of time (5 years in IEM world especially considering the huge improvements witnessed in budget fi and mid fi). I just hope it was more ergonomic for my ears :/
Talking about long lasting, I still use and love my nearly 14 year old original JH13 ciem, probably the best purchase I’ve ever made in this hobby and to my mind still up there to this day

Dec 29, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #14,838 of 15,275
I had FH7 before and for me they're not in the same class. I love Fiio (even my DAP is M17) but the IEMs they are producing isn't up to TOTL yet. The FH7 is more like sony IER-M9 characteristic rather than Z1R with thick and bold mids but the imaging isn't on par with M9. I forgot about sub bass, maybe FH7 have more subbass impact but M9 is more agile, tactile and controlled.
Do I read it correctly between the lines that FH7 is comparable rather to IER-M7?

Dec 30, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #14,839 of 15,275
Do I read it correctly between the lines that FH7 is comparable rather to IER-M7?
Well sort of, I don't have the FH7 anymore for long time so can't compare them side by side but roughly yes they are.

Dec 30, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #14,840 of 15,275
Again... the FH7 has a really big 13. 6mm berilium plated DD. Despite the fact that it's a hybrid i see it as a super DD iem with its treble and imaging enhanced by 4 BAs. My guess is FiiO was inspired by the z1r when they designed it and it was meant to be a z1r alternative.
Its bass is well behaved and probably delivers a bit less quantity compared to the z1r but i can't see how it can sound more similar to all ba iems.

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #14,841 of 15,275
FH7 has a really big 13. 6mm berilium plated DD
FH7 is the only set I've sold (gave away Blon 03 to step daughter and og Timeless to HFGF member) it FH7 had a terrible timbre no matter how much I faffed with all those filters it remained horrible....I found Timeless when driven by a hybrid tube source became a baby Z1R especially in the bass department and glide into the mids 👍
Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 12.19.35.png

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #14,842 of 15,275
FH7 is the only set I've sold (gave away Blon 03 to step daughter and og Timeless to HFGF member) it FH7 had a terrible timbre no matter how much I faffed with all those filters it remained horrible....I found Timeless when driven by a hybrid tube source became a baby Z1R especially in the bass department and glide into the mids 👍
Similar opinion here. It was still early in my IEM journey but I'd already found 'my sound' with the FH5, which I still remember fondly for its warm, lush and punchy sound, and was very much looking forward to the FH7 'flagship' when it was announced. Sadly it ended up being a disappointment for me, a step down in terms of tonal richness and bass delivery compared to FH5, and a switch to a more neutral, 'analytical' sound from FiiO. A few years later when I finally got the Z1R it reminded me more of the FH5 than the FH7, only significantly better and more refined than both. It was, and remains, my favourite IEM of all time.

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #14,843 of 15,275
When i first got my FH7 with the black filters on i was a bit disappointed also,i found it shouty. Once i got the red filters on...bam!...shoutiness totally gone,bass was better also .
I find it a monument of coherence, with gorgeous bass and wide and very tall stage,very sharp imaging but not very holographic or deep...rather 2d/panoramic. These attributes are rather typical for premium single DD iems .

Dec 30, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #14,844 of 15,275
I went to e earphone in Akihabara yesterday, my focus was on a little A306 for daily out and about use, and another iem (secondhand). I always get a little anxious making a decision based on an instore demo, as with background music and other external factors it isn't until you get home and spend more time that you may notice a frequency that might not agree.
I must have tried 20-30 iems, including the Fiio models (or S versions) mentioned above. There were others that appealed to my ears, but from memory the Mext and the IER-M9 stood out.
The M9 for me is a safe easy choice because of it's sweet Sony tuning, but as well as it does the bass, my ears are stubborn old-school XBA-Z5/N3 dynamic fans and I worry I wish I'd gone dynamic/hybrid. To the people that own both, what would be the times you use, or the music you choose for either?

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #14,845 of 15,275
I have the Timeless AE, not sure how different the tuning is to the regular one but for the price I can seem the similarities to my Z1R which is why I haven't let them go yet, also use them as my travel pair as I don't like to move around with my main babies

Dec 31, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #14,846 of 15,275
Timeless for me went pretty quickly from really impressive at first to something I only use when traveling and not minding if it breaks. It can really fool you but the more you use it the more its issues become apparent specially with less busy genres. All that glitters is not gold. I would never compare it to Z1R.

Dec 31, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #14,847 of 15,275
The M9 for me is a safe easy choice because of it's sweet Sony tuning, but as well as it does the bass, my ears are stubborn old-school XBA-Z5/N3 dynamic fans and I worry I wish I'd gone dynamic/hybrid.
I love both the N3 and the M9. The latter is my favorite IEM these days.

The thing with BAs is that they usually fail at giving you the decay and thump that a dynamic driver can provide. They sound like a camera shooting on max ISO all the time.

Sony got the decay part right (IMO superior to hearing aid BA and DD) but you will be missing that thump and physicality only DDs can do. It gets maybe 60% there and 80% if you use foams.

But comes with the best mids and treble and one of the best crossovers I’ve heard so I will happily compromise most days.

Dec 31, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #14,848 of 15,275
Timeless for me went pretty quickly from really impressive at first to something I only use when traveling and not minding if it breaks. It can really fool you but the more you use it the more its issues become apparent specially with less busy genres. All that glitters is not gold. I would never compare it to Z1R.
I use my Timeless OG with daps (mostly ZX300) for travel and keep the Z1R at home with the Tazzy and for that use I find the Timeless very good

Dec 31, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #14,849 of 15,275
I love both the N3 and the M9. The latter is my favorite IEM these days.

The thing with BAs is that they usually fail at giving you the decay and thump that a dynamic driver can provide. They sound like a camera shooting on max ISO all the time.

Sony got the decay part right (IMO superior to hearing aid BA and DD) but you will be missing that thump and physicality only DDs can do. It gets maybe 60% there and 80% if you use foams.

But comes with the best mids and treble and one of the best crossovers I’ve heard so I will happily compromise most days.
Because of the high praise for the M9, and the fact that for the most part they are an ideal tuning to my ears, I am open to stepping out of my usual self and purchasing them.
As my IER-Z1R stay at home, I'm undecided whether to get something with a similar tuning for out and about or go for something a bit different.

Dec 31, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #14,850 of 15,275
Because of the high praise for the M9, and the fact that for the most part they are an ideal tuning to my ears, I am open to stepping out of my usual self and purchasing them.
As my IER-Z1R stay at home, I'm undecided whether to get something with a similar tuning for out and about or go for something a bit different.
I recently got the Sennheiser IE900 during the sales to bring with me to work. They're still a bit expensive to take outside though. Sound wise they're also a bass & treble focused IEM, a bit more v shaped than Z1R. Very good set, they don't sound wide and big like Z1R, but they have the comfort. Z1R and M9 are my main IEMs at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back