SONY IER-Z1R
Dec 13, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #14,806 of 15,290
if the current topic on Z1R thread is about eartips again, I will repeat again "Pentaconn Coreir"
Yeah I'm not putting corroding material on my ears thanks.

Where did you buy those tips?
I used to import them from Japan. But they're too expensive now and the new version (EP-NI1010) is not that good anymore.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #14,809 of 15,290
Yeah I'm not putting corroding material on my ears thanks.

I used to import them from Japan. But they're too expensive now and the new version (EP-NI1010) is not that good anymore.
Well the brass is encased in silicone so it’s not touching any part of the ear

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #14,810 of 15,290
Well the brass is encased in silicone so it’s not touching any part of the ear
Well they will still look like your profile picture in a matter of months.

Dec 13, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #14,811 of 15,290
Well they will still look like your profile picture in a matter of months.
I’ve used them daily for 3 months now and no hint of tarnishing or corrosion so far and by far the best I’ve heard for sound on the Z1R

Dec 13, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #14,812 of 15,290
I'd like to try the Coreir tips but really not sure about the sizing
I tend to need either medium or large for my ears, seems a big expense if fit is wrong, especially importing to the UK

Dec 13, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #14,813 of 15,290
Anyone interested in a Plussound cable? Just got it in and it’s still sealed. Ran me around $280 and would let it go for a deal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Dec 15, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #14,814 of 15,290
Feaulle H570 latex tips are almost as tacky but last much longer (do not seem to degrade at all, in use for over 2 months now)
About the same sound profile
I highly recommend them!
Yeah i have them all, Im one of the first H570 adopter here along with @AmericanSpirit

I rated them A, they are great but prefer pentaconn coreir still (the only S grade eartips for me)
I'd like to try the Coreir tips but really not sure about the sizing
I tend to need either medium or large for my ears, seems a big expense if fit is wrong, especially importing to the UK
Try to pick larger size compared to your usual size, the diameter measurement on pentaconn coreir is on the end of the latex but the actual fit is on the middle of the latex so will be smaller than written diameter length. If you are using M or ML usually, just get L, if you're an S size user, get M.

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #14,815 of 15,290
If you have the chance to, try out a new orchestral album by the composer Evan Call for the anime series ‘Frieren’, the official release is on Apple Music yt etc with Apple Music having the lossless version. (Very lord of the rings inspired I feel)

The Z1R with Tazzy on this recording is just magical. It’s so well recorded and emotive. (Try track 1,5,10 &11 for the most impact)

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #14,817 of 15,290
I can comment on the comfort on these, but be aware that YMMV.

The first day or so I wore them I felt severe pain at the back of my ear after about half an hour to an hour.
This was due to the pointy edge bit pressing against a spot that it really shouldn't.
I thought to order a silicon case from aliexpress to prevent this from happening.

Then I thought, why not google "how to wear these".
I did and found some review videos where people had them on with a clear sideview and lo and behold:
I was wearing them wrong.
I put the entire IEM inside of my ear tightly up to the top, where it would sit very securely but cause pain.
I should've left the outside bit more relaxed and down(the sort of edge at the back), as they definitely won't fall out due to being inserted fairly deeply into the canal and obviously having the cable go around the top.

Now they're VERY comfortable to wear with stock medium silicone tips, haven't even tried tip rolling at all even though I have many a variety lying around here now that aren't even Sony's own (Final E and some others people mentioned).

The Blessing 2: Dusks were my first "serious" pair, and I was wearing them all day while I was travelling as part of my portable setup, these eventually caused a bit of pain or fatigue at the end of a long session, and I think that was also due to me not being used to IEMs.
But I would say the Sonys are very similar in that regard for me, as an IEM noob.

I can now spend a long time on these without pain, and while I think that the Blessings are probably more comfortable for longer for a majority of people, if you insert these properly you can get away with wearing them for just as long IF you don't have extremely small ears.
I'm lucky in that regard to have standard sized ones.

I have read though that many people went on to sell these because of fit issues, this is probably a very common issue.
Can you share any reference pics or video I can refer to, to see how to wear them properly?

I checked crinacle's video on them, and he seems to insert them quite deep which would not be possible for my ears.

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #14,818 of 15,290
Can you share any reference pics or video I can refer to, to see how to wear them properly?

I checked crinacle's video on them, and he seems to insert them quite deep which would not be possible for my ears.
For me, I just wrap my left hand behind my head to pull my right ears back to open up the opening and canal, then use my right hand to simply slot the Z1R in all the way, then release my left hand. Vice versa for left ear.

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #14,819 of 15,290

I just ram them in and deep but I have huge ear holes

Dec 25, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #14,820 of 15,290

Use the smallest tips possible (I recommend just using the stock silicon) and like other users said pull your ear back/open your mouth as you insert them deeply, but if even then they are still too large to fit in your ears you may simply not have the anatomy for the z1r (which is unfortunate but really Sony’s fault for designing such an unergonomic iem).

I would like to think one could use the z1r without a deep fit but the treble response is highly dependent on a deep fit (and I mean that, when I figured out the right eartip/insertion depth for my ear anatomy the treble of the z1r went from ‘that’s pretty good’ to ‘I am in the studio as the band records this song’)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back