SONY IER-Z1R
Sep 15, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #14,551 of 15,279
If you're ordering direct from CFA, ask them about sizes. It could be that the newer bags are just made bigger than the older ones. I got a 5-pack recently and all fit the Z1R comfortably.
Does anybody know how to get such mesh mags for each side?

1694809329640.png

Sep 18, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #14,557 of 15,279
My closest to endgame are Mest and Z1R too, with Monarch MkII for mids

The way you described them is really similar to my impressions although mine is Mest OG, where Mest OG is having slightly more resolution and sharper imaging with the trade of more unnaturally approach, zings and sibilances are more pronounced on Mest OG than Mest MkII, they are more like sidegrades to each other.
And coincidentally my genre also JPOP.
Z1R like you said win on timbre definitely, soundstage absolutely, the detail but non harsh forwarded trebles, where Mest have forwarded mids, and clarity and technicalities.
The Mest imaging is one of the best I ever heard, so special, similar to M9 and u12t or maybe just hairline sharper, all still above Z1R.
About the bass, Z1R have best bass I ever have/try on an IEM, I rated it 9.5/10, where other still nowhere touching 9 score except IE900 and Mest MkII bass, and Mest OG (lower bass quantity than MkII) at 8.5/10. My Monarch MkII bass is on 6/10 but Im very critical about bass quality so my 6 score bass maybe can satisfied others.
The only last 0.5 score bass that prevent me to give full 10/10 mark on Z1R is because of the tuning, a slight mids bass bleed on 100-300hz range although they are tight, so clearly on tuning wise is the last stretch of improvement I want from Z1R bass. on other side, I agree the bass shelf tuning on Mest is better to you and me, but the Impact, the driver quality, the moving air feeling of Z1R is hard to beat, even for Mest.

last month, I tried the Pentaconn Courier Brass eartips, they give more tighter bass, so perceived like less mid bass bleed, with great texture and timbre. And improve the technicalities of Z1R, like having Mest / M9 / u12t imaging on Z1R soundstage imagine how great is that, making a way to my only IEM that almost, very very close to my ideal perfect endgame IEM. the mids also become clearer and little bit forward, but one note the 6khz of lower treble become more open too, made them slightly more intense but in smooth, non harsh presentation (if that an excuse) and also the downside of this eartips is the pricey price tag and earwax magnet, just like xelastec.
They are tacky but not as tacky as xelastec, more like latex H570, although they are little bit easy to pull out from the Z1R shell, but they are sealed greatly.
Yes I have tried a lot of eartips, name it all (my eartips collections are much more than my IEMs) azla any type Crystal, xelastec, sedna max, standard, light, all variants with standard or TWS cariants, spiral dots all variants the OG, the ++ the half one, radius, all spinfits type, dekoni, comply, etc.
For me this Pentaconn Courier beat them all sonically, especially the technicalities. if Spinfit W1, Azla Crystal, Feaulle H570, Moondrop Springs are A rank eartips for me, The Pentaconn Courier is a definite S rank eartips, and the only one making way to the S rank.

Seriously for Z1R user, it is worth a try, especially if compared to hundreds or thousand bucks cables out there, this Pentaconn Courier maybe have more audible improvement over them, and maybe your end game ticket along with your Z1R. Considering selling my Mest and Monarch MkII now.

20230905_101641.jpg
Would you say the Courier brass tips sounds closer to the final type e or spiral dots? Spiral dots has almost been my go to but I feel for the z1r it makes the mids a bit more distant than I like and the Final type e brings the mids more forward.

It's expensive but if it helps with more mids forward I'll probably end up getting it.

Thanks

Sep 18, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #14,558 of 15,279
Would you say the Courier brass tips sounds closer to the final type e or spiral dots? Spiral dots has almost been my go to but I feel for the z1r it makes the mids a bit more distant than I like and the Final type e brings the mids more forward.

It's expensive but if it helps with more mids forward I'll probably end up getting it.

Thanks
The original spiral dot cant fit right with Z1R, the spiral dot is wide bore, and the Z1R nozzles are small. They may loose the perfect seal, the spiral dot++ otherwise still can fit the Z1R but not so tight.
Soundwise the spiral dot will open up lower treble 5-7khz more than smaller bore Final E or original sony eartips.

About mids actually wider bore will made high mids more pronounced, or perceived like little bit clearer and forwarded.

The Pentaconn Courier brass made high mids clearer and lower treble and treble extension little bit more forward but the brass material kept the timbre stays on natural (depends on the IEMs nature sound too) while emphasizing details and true imaging precision level.

The changing is more audible on technicalities, especially on imaging precision, then the true details and treble extension aside from little bit forwarded high mids and lower trebles.

I do feel they worth every penny, made the imaging on Z1R sharper, to the Mest / u12t / M9 level, combined with true nature of Z1R grande soundstage. Awesome experience on soundstage + holographic imaging + precise layering.

Sep 18, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #14,559 of 15,279
The Pentaconn Courier brass made high mids clearer and lower treble and treble extension little bit more forward but the brass material kept the timbre stays on natural (depends on the IEMs nature sound too) while emphasizing details and true imaging precision level.

The changing is more audible on technicalities, especially on imaging precision, then the true details and treble extension aside from little bit forwarded high mids and lower trebles.

I do feel they worth every penny,
various forums and youtube videos highly recommend these as the top of the top ear tips.

Sep 18, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #14,560 of 15,279
The original spiral dot cant fit right with Z1R, the spiral dot is wide bore, and the Z1R nozzles are small. They may loose the perfect seal, the spiral dot++ otherwise still can fit the Z1R but not so tight.
Soundwise the spiral dot will open up lower treble 5-7khz more than smaller bore Final E or original sony eartips.

About mids actually wider bore will made high mids more pronounced, or perceived like little bit clearer and forwarded.

I do feel they worth every penny, made the imaging on Z1R sharper, to the Mest / u12t / M9 level, combined with true nature of Z1R grande soundstage. Awesome experience on soundstage + holographic imaging + precise layering.
So tonality the brass will sound like more like dot ++ but better technicalities? I do have some dot++ to try out

Edit. You're right. It's the seal that I need to watch out for..hmm

Leaning towards buying the brass.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #14,564 of 15,279
Anyone selling a beautiful ier-z1r to me? :)
Loving mine too much to sell it 😎, but keep an eye out on Reddit’s avexchange subreddit, I saw a few for sale here for less than 1k last month. Who knows you may get lucky, I’ve sold a few things there in the past without any issues just be careful as always.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #14,565 of 15,279
After reading aboyt the stock cables going bad on the hooks even if inused in the box. Decided to peek my 3.5mm cable which has veen sitting in the box unused, and it's fine. It has been stored in a dark place

Users who are viewing this thread

Back