SONY IER-Z1R
Sep 7, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #14,522 of 15,280
Exactly that with me, I like them too but I hate when they deform.
I want to try the crystals maybe they are they are better.
The Crystals are stiffer and less deformable, so far. I have them on my Denon Perl Pro. I had the xelastic and they deformed within a couple weeks. I don't notice a sound difference or comfort difference.

Sep 8, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #14,524 of 15,280
Having spent the better part of the past week listening to these 2 beasts, I will be ready to share with you my thoughts about them shortly. I know many have reviewed these 2 but I would like to have my 2 cents on them as well. Stay tuned!
20230908_230055.jpg

Sep 8, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #14,525 of 15,280
Z1R vs MEST MK2: BCD vs DD

After finding a UM Mest MKII for a good deal (shoutout to Fhami if you reading this), I called dips and bought it. Having heard it multiple times at Jaben, I almost bought it in 2022 but to me, the IER-Z1R edged it out just enough for me to buy it. Now that I own both, it is high time I reflect on these 2 purchases.

What the Z1R gets right:
  • The wide and tall soundstage like a concert hall makes you really feel like you have booked a venue for yourself and your favourite artists are performing just for you on a stage. This differs from the Mest MKII in that the Z1R feels as tall as it is wide with the MEST MKII having more of an “oval” shaped sound with a wider soundstage. This can be felt in the track Letter by TRUE.
  • That timbre is just absolutely delicious. The way the Z1R presents the texture of instruments like the “zawa zawa” sound of the bassist and guitarists makes the J-Pop and EDM tracks that I listen to extremely engaging.
  • That ever-so-slightly hot treble. I love it when “ts”, “tsh” and “si” sounds are just that little bit sibilant. This is particularly noticeable on J-Pop tracks with female vocals. I feel that this presentation synchronises well with the timbre that I mentioned earlier to make all these tracks particularly feet tapping.
What the Mest MKII gets right:
  • The forward mid presentation is amazing for male vocals. For example in the song, Uragawa No Sonzai. With the Z1R, it feels like the vocalist took a small step back from your eardrums. However, the Mest MKII sounds like it has the vocalist singing in the middle of your skull. This intimate presentation feels like you are listening to the track being recorded live.
  • Technicalities on the Mest allow you to gleam just a little bit more detail from your tracks compared to the Z1R. That breath, that tap on the string by the guitarist is just slightly more clear with Mest.
  • Now is the contemptuous part. I prefer the subbass focused bass presentation of the Mest MKII than the midbass focus on the Z1R. The Mest MKII has a more controlled presentation of drum strikes. It hits you hard but fades away quicker than the Z1R. The Z1R on the other hand, allows the bass to rumble a little more.

This is especially so in a song like “Heaven is a place on Earth” by Belinda Carlisle with the drummer going “dum dum ta” at the back. The Z1R allows the drummer to be more blended in with the track, with each strike fading just a little slower. However, on the Mest MKII with the mid forwardness and subbass emphasis, Belinda’s voice really sings and the drummer really feels like he is going ham.

In all, rather than foes that need to be compared and measured at every turn, I feel that these 2 IEMs complement each other in a collection. The IER-Z1R are for times when you want a more relaxed listen, with a warmer presentation. Its midbass emphasis coupled with extended treble make listening to music engaging, but with that comparatively recessed mids, allows vocals and other instruments to just flow around you. It has that organic and natural presentation which I will always like. The Mest MKII is for when you want to be just caught up in your own musical world. With its mids leaning into your ears and that bone conductor giving that extra oomph to the subbass, it provides an energetic and lively rendition of your favourite tracks.

With that, thank you very much for reading and please continue to enjoy your music.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #14,526 of 15,280
Z1R vs MEST MK2: BCD vs DD

After finding a UM Mest MKII for a good deal (shoutout to Fhami if you reading this), I called dips and bought it. Having heard it multiple times at Jaben, I almost bought it in 2022 but to me, the IER-Z1R edged it out just enough for me to buy it. Now that I own both, it is high time I reflect on these 2 purchases.

What the Z1R gets right:
  • The wide and tall soundstage like a concert hall makes you really feel like you have booked a venue for yourself and your favourite artists are performing just for you on a stage. This differs from the Mest MKII in that the Z1R feels as tall as it is wide with the MEST MKII having more of an “oval” shaped sound with a wider soundstage. This can be felt in the track Letter by TRUE.
  • That timbre is just absolutely delicious. The way the Z1R presents the texture of instruments like the “zawa zawa” sound of the bassist and guitarists makes the J-Pop and EDM tracks that I listen to extremely engaging.
  • That ever-so-slightly hot treble. I love it when “ts”, “tsh” and “si” sounds are just that little bit sibilant. This is particularly noticeable on J-Pop tracks with female vocals. I feel that this presentation synchronises well with the timbre that I mentioned earlier to make all these tracks particularly feet tapping.
What the Mest MKII gets right:
  • The forward mid presentation is amazing for male vocals. For example in the song, Uragawa No Sonzai. With the Z1R, it feels like the vocalist took a small step back from your eardrums. However, the Mest MKII sounds like it has the vocalist singing in the middle of your skull. This intimate presentation feels like you are listening to the track being recorded live.
  • Technicalities on the Mest allow you to gleam just a little bit more detail from your tracks compared to the Z1R. That breath, that tap on the string by the guitarist is just slightly more clear with Mest.
  • Now is the contemptuous part. I prefer the subbass focused bass presentation of the Mest MKII than the midbass focus on the Z1R. The Mest MKII has a more controlled presentation of drum strikes. It hits you hard but fades away quicker than the Z1R. The Z1R on the other hand, allows the bass to rumble a little more.

This is especially so in a song like “Heaven is a place on Earth” by Belinda Carlisle with the drummer going “dum dum ta” at the back. The Z1R allows the drummer to be more blended in with the track, with each strike fading just a little slower. However, on the Mest MKII with the mid forwardness and subbass emphasis, Belinda’s voice really sings and the drummer really feels like he is going ham.

In all, rather than foes that need to be compared and measured at every turn, I feel that these 2 IEMs complement each other in a collection. The IER-Z1R are for times when you want a more relaxed listen, with a warmer presentation. Its midbass emphasis coupled with extended treble make listening to music engaging, but with that comparatively recessed mids, allows vocals and other instruments to just flow around you. It has that organic and natural presentation which I will always like. The Mest MKII is for when you want to be just caught up in your own musical world. With its mids leaning into your ears and that bone conductor giving that extra oomph to the subbass, it provides an energetic and lively rendition of your favourite tracks.

With that, thank you very much for reading and please continue to enjoy your music.

My closest to endgame are Mest and Z1R too, with Monarch MkII for mids

The way you described them is really similar to my impressions although mine is Mest OG, where Mest OG is having slightly more resolution and sharper imaging with the trade of more unnaturally approach, zings and sibilances are more pronounced on Mest OG than Mest MkII, they are more like sidegrades to each other.
And coincidentally my genre also JPOP.
Z1R like you said win on timbre definitely, soundstage absolutely, the detail but non harsh forwarded trebles, where Mest have forwarded mids, and clarity and technicalities.
The Mest imaging is one of the best I ever heard, so special, similar to M9 and u12t or maybe just hairline sharper, all still above Z1R.
About the bass, Z1R have best bass I ever have/try on an IEM, I rated it 9.5/10, where other still nowhere touching 9 score except IE900 and Mest MkII bass, and Mest OG (lower bass quantity than MkII) at 8.5/10. My Monarch MkII bass is on 6/10 but Im very critical about bass quality so my 6 score bass maybe can satisfied others.
The only last 0.5 score bass that prevent me to give full 10/10 mark on Z1R is because of the tuning, a slight mids bass bleed on 100-300hz range although they are tight, so clearly on tuning wise is the last stretch of improvement I want from Z1R bass. on other side, I agree the bass shelf tuning on Mest is better to you and me, but the Impact, the driver quality, the moving air feeling of Z1R is hard to beat, even for Mest.

last month, I tried the Pentaconn Courier Brass eartips, they give more tighter bass, so perceived like less mid bass bleed, with great texture and timbre. And improve the technicalities of Z1R, like having Mest / M9 / u12t imaging on Z1R soundstage imagine how great is that, making a way to my only IEM that almost, very very close to my ideal perfect endgame IEM. the mids also become clearer and little bit forward, but one note the 6khz of lower treble become more open too, made them slightly more intense but in smooth, non harsh presentation (if that an excuse) and also the downside of this eartips is the pricey price tag and earwax magnet, just like xelastec.
They are tacky but not as tacky as xelastec, more like latex H570, although they are little bit easy to pull out from the Z1R shell, but they are sealed greatly.
Yes I have tried a lot of eartips, name it all (my eartips collections are much more than my IEMs) azla any type Crystal, xelastec, sedna max, standard, light, all variants with standard or TWS cariants, spiral dots all variants the OG, the ++ the half one, radius, all spinfits type, dekoni, comply, etc.
For me this Pentaconn Courier beat them all sonically, especially the technicalities. if Spinfit W1, Azla Crystal, Feaulle H570, Moondrop Springs are A rank eartips for me, The Pentaconn Courier is a definite S rank eartips, and the only one making way to the S rank.

Seriously for Z1R user, it is worth a try, especially if compared to hundreds or thousand bucks cables out there, this Pentaconn Courier maybe have more audible improvement over them, and maybe your end game ticket along with your Z1R. Considering selling my Mest and Monarch MkII now.

20230905_101641.jpg

Sep 11, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #14,527 of 15,280

The way you described them is really similar to my impressions although mine is Mest OG, where Mest OG is having slightly more resolution and sharper imaging with the trade of more unnaturally approach, zings and sibilances are more pronounced on Mest OG than Mest MkII, they are more like sidegrades to each other.
Z1R like you said win on timbre definitely, soundstage absolutely, the detail but non harsh forwarded trebles, where Mest have forwarded mids, and clarity and technicalities.
The Mest imaging is one of the best I ever heard, so special, similar to M9 and u12t or maybe just hairline sharper, all still above Z1R.
About the bass, Z1R have best bass I ever have/try on an IEM, I rated it 9.5/10, where other still nowhere touching 9 score except IE900 and Mest MkII bass, and Mest OG (lower bass quantity than MkII) at 8.5/10. My Monarch MkII bass is on 6/10 but Im very critical about bass quality so my 6 score bass maybe can satisfied others.
The only last 0.5 score bass that prevent me to give full 10/10 mark on Z1R is because of the tuning, a slight mids bass bleed on 100-300hz range although they are tight, so clearly on tuning wise is the last stretch of improvement I want from Z1R bass. on other side, I agree the bass shelf tuning on Mest is better to you and me, but the Impact, the driver quality, the moving air feeling of Z1R is hard to beat, even for Mest.
Oh yes, that sense of the air flowing around that the IER-Z1R gives is amazing. The atmosphere that it creates, regardless of what you listen to, is something that the MEST tries to emulate but can't reach it. With regards to the Monarch MKII, I felt that it was lacklustre compared to the IER-Z1R, the bass response was insufficient for me and it was just lacking that fun factor. However, I heard that the Monarch MKIII knocked it out of the park with the new, elevated bass shelf. Look forward to hearing it too!:)

last month, I tried the Pentaconn Courier Brass eartips, they give more tighter bass, so perceived like less mid bass bleed, with great texture and timbre. And improve the technicalities of Z1R, like having Mest / M9 / u12t imaging on Z1R soundstage imagine how great is that, making a way to my only IEM that almost, very very close to my ideal perfect endgame IEM. the mids also become clearer and little bit forward, but one note the 6khz of lower treble become more open too, made them slightly more intense but in smooth, non harsh presentation (if that an excuse) and also the downside of this eartips is the pricey price tag and earwax magnet, just like xelastec.
They are tacky but not as tacky as xelastec, more like latex H570, although they are little bit easy to pull out from the Z1R shell, but they are sealed greatly.
Yes I have tried a lot of eartips, name it all (my eartips collections are much more than my IEMs) azla any type Crystal, xelastec, sedna max, standard, light, all variants with standard or TWS cariants, spiral dots all variants the OG, the ++ the half one, radius, all spinfits type, dekoni, comply, etc.
For me this Pentaconn Courier beat them all sonically, especially the technicalities. if Spinfit W1, Azla Crystal, Feaulle H570, Moondrop Springs are A rank eartips for me, The Pentaconn Courier is a definite S rank eartips, and the only one making way to the S rank.
These Pentaconn Courier tips are serious business. I got to try them with the Mest MKII thanks to the seller and I was impressed. It allowed the MEST MKII to somehow be even more mid forward but not in an unnatural and unbalanced away. It allowed the MEST MKII to have a bit of that airiness in the treble that the Z1R is strong in. Perhaps putting these on the Z1R might help vocals take that half a step closer to the microphone?

I thought I had reached the last of IEM tips with the Moondrop Spring Tips but of course, a company like Pentaconn had to come and show everyone who is boss. However, I have to agree with you that it attracts ear dirt way too easily and is extremely expensive. To top it off, I have concerns with brass being a very soft alloy, making it easier to tarnish, ever more so in the tropics of Singapore.

Sep 11, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #14,528 of 15,280
I tried the Pentaconn tips with Z1R but unfortunately I can't get a very deep fit them, and the Z1R already sticks out far enough as it is lol.

Sep 12, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #14,530 of 15,280
Nope, you just need to have the right size, the size longer, and smaller. If you like deep insertion, go half size smaller than your usual. For me I have no problem with the fit. Not the best fit that I have, but quite sturdy and provide great seal (because of the latex umbrella material). perhaps 10/10 sound quality as per details, imaging, technicalities and timbre. And about 8-9 /10 fit for me.
The problem is you can't try them, and buying lot of size of them are expensive. They come with 2 pair of the same size, so 1 box is either L and L, or M and M. you have to buy 2 boxes to try the right size for you.

@dennarwhal Yes they made the Z1R mids little bit forwarded (for those that feel Z1R mids too recessed, I'm not btw because of our JPOP genre that female vocals are already forward on mixing), and that superb imaging.

I think everyone with Z1R should try this, really worth a try, again I dont have any connection with Pentaconn, just share my humble experiences.

Sep 12, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #14,532 of 15,280
Anyone's earhooks breaking down and leaving a sticky residue?😩
Very normal. Clean them with an alcohol swab and don't keep them closed up in a box with humidity. Keep them in fresh air, or use silica gel packs to keep them dry.

Sep 12, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #14,533 of 15,280
Very normal. Clean them with an alcohol swab and don't keep them closed up in a box with humidity. Keep them in fresh air, or use silica gel packs to keep them dry.
Thank you! I'll give it a shot. 🤞

Sep 12, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #14,535 of 15,280

Seriously for Z1R user, it is worth a try, especially if compared to hundreds or thousand bucks cables out there, this Pentaconn Courier maybe have more audible improvement over them, and maybe your end game ticket along with your Z1R. Considering selling my Mest and Monarch MkII now.

20230905_101641.jpg
would love to try different eartips but my ear canals are so small nothing fit me except for sony silicone tips in size SS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back