SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 16, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #14,356 of 15,271
I picked up an IER-Z1R about 6 months ago but it has barely seen any use because of the comfort mostly on the cable side as I can't get it to stay over my ear. So I am looking for a replacement. I am considering Brise BSEP and Lavaricable as I'd like to stay with a cable with the appropriate connectors. However I can't find any feedback on ergonomics on these two or if there are any other cables that might have better ergonomics, I'm open to that as well. Any suggestions?
Yes, no matter how great they sounded I didn't like wearing them and got discomfort.

The M9's are a perfect fit for me, but no comparrison to sound of Z1R so don't look in that direction if you want Z1R type sound.

I've honestly not heard anything sound as great as the Z1R with its sound tunning.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #14,357 of 15,271
I'll have to revisit them but I think my main discomfort was around the cable falling off my ear and pulling the buds with it as they are relatively heavy so I thought if I can just find the right cable, it might be okay. I was able to adjust the earbud comfort with tip rolling a little.

Aug 16, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #14,358 of 15,271
I'll have to revisit them but I think my main discomfort was around the cable falling off my ear and pulling the buds with it as they are relatively heavy so I thought if I can just find the right cable, it might be okay. I was able to adjust the earbud comfort with tip rolling a little.

Also, if you don't want to do that, just rotate the MMCX connector more towards your head.

Edit - I removed some potentially bad advice.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #14,359 of 15,271
just rotate the MMCX connector more towards your head.
Awesome suggestion! Just put them on and went for a short walk and this helped a lot. Still not the most comfortable but prevented the cable from constantly falling off. I wish there was just some more stiffness in the over ear part of the cable and/or it was slightly heavier so it would sit better. I'm sure some folks appreciate it being lightweight but I would rather it sit better.

I might still try another cable but this will at least allow me to start using them again, I had forgotten how good they were and a nice change over my Andros :)

Aug 17, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #14,360 of 15,271
I picked up an IER-Z1R about 6 months ago but it has barely seen any use because of the comfort mostly on the cable side as I can't get it to stay over my ear. So I am looking for a replacement. I am considering Brise BSEP and Lavaricable as I'd like to stay with a cable with the appropriate connectors. However I can't find any feedback on ergonomics on these two or if there are any other cables that might have better ergonomics, I'm open to that as well. Any suggestions?
I would recommend the bsep. the connector is very similar to the stock. I also have the Lavricable and, at least on mine, it is not similar and i still have the same issues when trying to detach the cable.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #14,361 of 15,271
I would recommend the bsep. the connector is very similar to the stock. I also have the Lavricable and, at least on mine, it is not similar and i still have the same issues when trying to detach the cable.
Really?. I thought that the Lavricable uses the correct connectors. But that is good intel. Might not purchase a cable then.

Aug 17, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #14,362 of 15,271
Really?. I thought that the Lavricable uses the correct connectors. But that is good intel. Might not purchase a cable then.
That's what I thought and I even specifically ordered the Lavricable for Z1R from them. If you see from the picture below, the Lavricable (the bottom one) looks nothing like the Bsep one (at the top). When you insert the Lavricable version into the Z1R, the entire connector sits inside the Z1R and is difficult to detach. It is just like any other MMCX cable.

IMG_3356.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #14,363 of 15,271
That's what I thought and I even specifically ordered the Lavricable for Z1R from them. If you see from the picture below, the Lavricable (the bottom one) looks nothing like the Bsep one (at the top). When you insert the Lavricable version into the Z1R, the entire connector sits inside the Z1R and is difficult to detach. It is just like any other MMCX cable.

that is very bad to hear.

i thought the connector is made for it...

some pictures from the lavri homepage
1692269069760.png

1692269086496.png

question: since others said that a 3rd party cable "stretched" the inner part of the z1r, does the lavricables connector do the same?

some people mentioned that they have to stick to the 3rd party cable because it is not too destroyed and stretched for the original connector.

this wouldn't happen with the brise cable i think as it is the same as the one from sony.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #14,366 of 15,271
I always thought Lavricables was a solid option offering what appeared to be an official IER-Z1R connector. The Brise are rather pricey, has anyone tried the low-priced ones?
When I go to Japan in December I might choose a cable and get e-earphone to re-terminate it with the connectors from my 3.5mm cable.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #14,367 of 15,271
that is very bad to hear.

i thought the connector is made for it...

some pictures from the lavri homepage
1692269069760.png
1692269086496.png

question: since others said that a 3rd party cable "stretched" the inner part of the z1r, does the lavricables connector do the same?

some people mentioned that they have to stick to the 3rd party cable because it is not too destroyed and stretched for the original connector.

this wouldn't happen with the brise cable i think as it is the same as the one from sony.
So far I have not "stretched" the lavricables and damaged either the cable or the Z1R, but I did use the tooth-extraction implement that I showed in a previous post. See picture below.

No problems with the brise cable since the connectors are similar. However, I like the bsep so much that it is unlikely to ever leave my Z1R!

Plier.png

Aug 18, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #14,369 of 15,271
2023-08-18 15.09.12.jpg

Finally part of this club today. I'm lucky, they fit me like a glove. No fit issue whatsoever. Now comes the time to discover and enjoy them :ksc75smile:
Nice! Congratulations!

Aug 18, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #14,370 of 15,271
2023-08-18 15.09.12.jpg

Finally part of this club today. I'm lucky, they fit me like a glove. No fit issue whatsoever. Now comes the time to discover and enjoy them :ksc75smile:

How did you feel when unboxing them? I still remember my wowed moment when I open jewelry like presentation in stacked drawers. My one of the best excited moments in my life. Goosebumps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back