SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 14, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #14,326 of 15,277
Update: I crushed the MMCX connector inside while using a flat jewellery screwdriver to dig it out. Sending it to the Sony service centre tomorrow.

Looks like I will not be purchasing the WM1ZM2...
I have been reading too much about how people have been destroying their precious Z1R's trying to cable roll and using all sorts of implements to dislodge the cable from the iem. I have been using these dental pliers that I bought from aliexpress and they have been working for me:

Plier.png

I bought my pair from here: https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/3282...t_main.40.66881802S7Anjf&gatewayAdapt=glo2vnm

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #14,327 of 15,277
Ever heard the TAZH1ES through the ZIRs? The soundstage and imaging are remarkably expansive and the clarity and detail are frighteningly realistic. I'm leaning heavily on cancelling my order of the HiBy R6P2 and saving up for the TA instead. I guess one can't compare a desktop headphone amp and a DAP however, especially a desktop amp that currently retails for almost three times the price of the DAP.
I was listening to Beethoven piano concertos 1 and 3. 4 and violin concerto on patios instruments. With my DMP-Z1 Andreas detail and clarity has sometimes scare me

Aug 14, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #14,328 of 15,277
So, if I say, use the Z1R with the balanced cable attached with the NW-A306's 3.5mm output with such an adapter, I'm not going to damage anything? And it'll sound much like I'm using the single ended cable with the Z1R?
Exactly. You are not going to damage anything it is perfectly fine to do so.. I do the same with my Sony DMP witg a fiio adapter

Aug 14, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #14,331 of 15,277
Ok ive given it a clean an photographed withthw spotlight lamp off and on and

With spot lamp off actually better than with the fill blown directed light which looks almost the same as the ic i posted

Aug 14, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #14,333 of 15,277
Oh im stupid :D yes there is a push. It sounds linear because this push perfectly compensates the natural lowering of the volume of the ear.

I tested with the IER-M9 and i can here a very slight lowering in volume going from 10k to 12k which is to be expected but with the IER-Z1R its surprisingly linear.

But its not a big push. I can hear it, but its not like "wow, this is pushed!"

I just did a different hearing test again than what i usally use but still, my hearing seems to be perfect

By the way, i noticed a slight channel imbalance with the IER-Z1R with all silicone tips, that was completely gone as soon as i used foam. My ears just dont like silicone at all :D
Sorry to ask again, I know you mentioned it before, but I couldn't find it because I'm inept.
Which foam tips are you using?

When I tried using the stock foams, it was almost like they didn't work for me, or maybe I didn't try hard enough.
I should revisit that just for fun.

Aug 14, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #14,334 of 15,277
Exactly. The other way you can’t go so you can’t have a single ended headphone and then connect it to the 4.4 out
Correct. But you can't go the other way (3.5mm -> 4.4mm).
Ah, okay, thanks guys. So, anyone listen much to the new A306 (via 3.5mm) with the Z1R and have an opinion? Does it sound very inferior to the WM1A2?

Aug 14, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #14,335 of 15,277
Aug 14, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #14,336 of 15,277
I have fixed all my fit issues and I am now extremely happy and satisfied with my Z1R :D

In a nutshell, I just had to try again with the SHORTER tips.

So my experience has been as follows:

- Size M, deep insertion: pain
- Size L, shallow insertion: pain
- Size L, deep insertion: good, but can be improved
- Size MS, deep insertion: smooth, extended, excellent sound quality

It is hard to believe the MS had such an impact compared to the M size, but it seems every millimetre counts when it comes to ear canal resonances.

Aug 15, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #14,337 of 15,277
I have fixed all my fit issues and I am now extremely happy and satisfied with my Z1R :D

In a nutshell, I just had to try again with the SHORTER tips.

So my experience has been as follows:

- Size M, deep insertion: pain
- Size L, shallow insertion: pain
- Size L, deep insertion: good, but can be improved
- Size MS, deep insertion: smooth, extended, excellent sound quality

It is hard to believe the MS had such an impact compared to the M size, but it seems every millimetre counts when it comes to ear canal resonances.
Same here. It took me a day to test various tips and find the right angle to insert them without hurting my ears. The fit isn't really as bad as some people claim, even though I have a very small ear canal. Now that I've figured it out, the sound quality truly lives up to the hype around this IEM.

Aug 15, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #14,339 of 15,277
Changed to Brise Audio cable ..
Setup: Z1R + BSEP for Z1R + WM2M
V initial impression, better can stock cable, fuller sound, more crisp, will audition more music to get a more complete assessment.
+1. Love the bsep cable.

Aug 15, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #14,340 of 15,277
bsep cable.
is the brise sep for z1r the "only one" you can get from brise exclusively made for the z1r? no 8w ultimate from another category?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back