SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 20, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #13,531 of 15,276
I have the Monarch MKII also and have considered picking up the IER-Z1R for a long while. Which set would you say you prefer, disregarding comfort?

Depends on what preferences are you looking for. I have both Monarch Mk II and Z1R if there any special questions you would ask.
Tonality are different, the MMkII are more similar to IER-M9 rather than Z1R, they are tuned to be reference monitor tuning, with emphasize on 3khz or high mids with big sub bass. While Z1R is tuned for grande fun.

Bass quality is very noticeable, Z1R win by quite margin, 9.5/10 for Z1R as oppose to 6.5/10 on MMkII. Reason is Z1R bass while very authorative and impactful, it sounded very open until the last trail until its gone, While monarch bass is sounded like trapped sub bass, big rumble echoing inside the tube but couldn't go out and gone somewhere inside, like there is a pseudo wall despite on paper, tuning wise iprefer cleaner upper mid bass of Monarch, but final presentation is wrecked by bad implementation.

Mids while Z1R i dont find recessed because of my habbit listening on high volume level, The Monarch MkII Mids are very enjoyable and solid, I was on fence because scared of shouty, but MMkII never get shouty, just very nice lush, thick, very natural mids presented with nice texture. The mids on Z1R little bit unnatural especially on finger snapping, sounded "too crispy" because of boosted 4khz, It perceived as super high resolution, but derived from naturalness, on other side MMkII mids keeping the best balance between detail, resolution and naturalness. One more about mids that have correlation with soundstage, the MMkII have intimate mids, like the singer especially females, is presented in your head or very close, whisper distance to you (while not shouty) and Z1R mids put the singer clearly in front of you, there is space with air between your nose and the voice, just matter of preferences I can see someone prefer more intimate presentation with black background while another choose more airy presentation. These all perceived differently because of different treble boost especially on 8khz, 12khz and 15khz.

Treble part as i'm a bit treble head beside of picky bass quality person, I give Z1R on upperhand because of the energetic but never harsh and all the details are there. The 6khz boost on Z1R bringing out details from hihats, cymbals, splashes from drum, with its trails until gone in space, very nice. While Monarch MkII trebles is gradually toned down, sounded very natural yet safe. Perhaps few dbs too safe for me. Ideally I would prefer something between the two, but if I have to compare, I prefer Z1R's more detailed treble and give energetic boost that never sounded harsh to me. The small DD, combined with open inner housing and foam damper do the magic.

Timbre is the part while MmkII can get proud of, despite of all those details, the multidriver combination, MmkII sounded very natural while having this great details (especially on mids) that Z1R have to give the point to the MmkII.

Soundstage wise, there is no contest, the Z1R considered the king of soundstage, vs the "small for TOTL" MmkII soundstage. Monarch's soundstage isnt bad, just to be on this level, I was expecting bigger (width and depth) but put aside any price, I will say the soundstage on Medium width with ok-ish depth.

Imaging both have great pin point imaging, sharp but not dot level positioning, both I give 9/10 on imaging and layering, but I've heard slight better in for example sony's M9 (owned but sold) and my UM Mest OG, differences are subtle but they have slightly better layering to me.

To sum up, I rated Z1R on S rank on my preferences, while MMkII on A+ , the bass and the fit are holding back while trebles presentation are just preference base.
Both I bought with my own money, and have them until now, hopefully I can tell my impressions clearly and help your decision with their own strong points and weaknesses.

Cheers!
DynamicEars

Mar 20, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #13,532 of 15,276
Depends on what preferences are you looking for. I have both Monarch Mk II and Z1R if there any special questions you would ask.
Tonality are different, the MMkII are more similar to IER-M9 rather than Z1R, they are tuned to be reference monitor tuning, with emphasize on 3khz or high mids with big sub bass. While Z1R is tuned for grande fun.

Bass quality is very noticeable, Z1R win by quite margin, 9.5/10 for Z1R as oppose to 6.5/10 on MMkII. Reason is Z1R bass while very authorative and impactful, it sounded very open until the last trail until its gone, While monarch bass is sounded like trapped sub bass, big rumble echoing inside the tube but couldn't go out and gone somewhere inside, like there is a pseudo wall despite on paper, tuning wise iprefer cleaner upper mid bass of Monarch, but final presentation is wrecked by bad implementation.

Mids while Z1R i dont find recessed because of my habbit listening on high volume level, The Monarch MkII Mids are very enjoyable and solid, I was on fence because scared of shouty, but MMkII never get shouty, just very nice lush, thick, very natural mids presented with nice texture. The mids on Z1R little bit unnatural especially on finger snapping, sounded "too crispy" because of boosted 4khz, It perceived as super high resolution, but derived from naturalness, on other side MMkII mids keeping the best balance between detail, resolution and naturalness. One more about mids that have correlation with soundstage, the MMkII have intimate mids, like the singer especially females, is presented in your head or very close, whisper distance to you (while not shouty) and Z1R mids put the singer clearly in front of you, there is space with air between your nose and the voice, just matter of preferences I can see someone prefer more intimate presentation with black background while another choose more airy presentation. These all perceived differently because of different treble boost especially on 8khz, 12khz and 15khz.

Treble part as i'm a bit treble head beside of picky bass quality person, I give Z1R on upperhand because of the energetic but never harsh and all the details are there. The 6khz boost on Z1R bringing out details from hihats, cymbals, splashes from drum, with its trails until gone in space, very nice. While Monarch MkII trebles is gradually toned down, sounded very natural yet safe. Perhaps few dbs too safe for me. Ideally I would prefer something between the two, but if I have to compare, I prefer Z1R's more detailed treble and give energetic boost that never sounded harsh to me. The small DD, combined with open inner housing and foam damper do the magic.

Timbre is the part while MmkII can get proud of, despite of all those details, the multidriver combination, MmkII sounded very natural while having this great details (especially on mids) that Z1R have to give the point to the MmkII.

Soundstage wise, there is no contest, the Z1R considered the king of soundstage, vs the "small for TOTL" MmkII soundstage. Monarch's soundstage isnt bad, just to be on this level, I was expecting bigger (width and depth) but put aside any price, I will say the soundstage on Medium width with ok-ish depth.

Imaging both have great pin point imaging, sharp but not dot level positioning, both I give 9/10 on imaging and layering, but I've heard slight better in for example sony's M9 (owned but sold) and my UM Mest OG, differences are subtle but they have slightly better layering to me.

To sum up, I rated Z1R on S rank on my preferences, while MMkII on A+ , the bass and the fit are holding back while trebles presentation are just preference base.
Both I bought with my own money, and have them until now, hopefully I can tell my impressions clearly and help your decision with their own strong points and weaknesses.

Cheers!
DynamicEars
Thanks for this. I was hoping for a general sense of your preference between the two IEMs and why. You've gone way beyond that with this great analysis. Much of this is confirming what others have said when comparing the two, which pretty much cements my decision to pick up a Z1R.

🫵🫡

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #13,533 of 15,276
Mow with XBA-Z5 with ke again and this time wirh a good cable like the sony kimber. I can saythe z5 us like 80% of the Z1R.
Z5 has a wide stage but not holographic and multichannel like in Z1R aand the z5 is laidback in the the highs, on the mids i cant seem to ve sure but in bass is deep bit not so textured as z1R. DMP gives the z5 the much needed trebke bosst to make them sound relaxed but nit dark

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #13,534 of 15,276
I have the Monarch MKII also and have considered picking up the IER-Z1R for a long while. Which set would you say you prefer, disregarding comfort?

the IER-Z1R is magical, while the monarch mkii is very good. i’d give the sony a 9.5/10 and the monarch a 7.5/10.

the bass and soundstage on the sony are incredible and wows me every time i listen to them. the monarch sounds great with no flaw to me but they arent as fun. what the monarch does have going for it is the warmer sound with more fullness and more body. it’s also a slightly easier listen for long sessions but that’s not to say the sony is fatiguing.

my ears aren’t discerning enough to know why people don’t like the sony’s mids but i have never thought them to be a problem. and you can eq that if you like whereas you can’t eq the monarch to have the sony’s bass and soundstage.

if i hadn’t heard the sony i probably would’ve been more than happy with the monarch’s. as it is, i will probably sell the monarch and see if i can find a good deal on a u12t instead.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #13,535 of 15,276
The sony kimberlite cable that i bought for in case my Z1R cable breaks got put on my XBA-Z5 instead. While great SQ the ergonomics are pretty stupid, it does not stay ob behind rhe ears and its heavy thanks to the huge Y splitter lol yeah wony had ro pribt on a huge plastic rectangle ENGINEERED WIRH KIMBER KABLE... they just fould have included kimber logo and have it made smalller OMO

Mar 22, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #13,536 of 15,276
1. I find Sony Z1r super good with tube desktop amp. Anyone else have similar experience?

2. Any good upgrade cables recommended for Sony Z1r? Possibly 250 to 2500 USD price range?

3. People keep saying Sony Z1r is good pair using Sony's own DAP. What's special about Sony DAP makes the combination so good? Juiced up bass / mid/ treble?

Mar 22, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #13,537 of 15,276
1. I find Sony Z1r super good with tube desktop amp. Anyone else have similar experience?

2. Any good upgrade cables recommended for Sony Z1r? Possibly 250 to 2500 USD price range?

3. People keep saying Sony Z1r is good pair using Sony's own DAP. What's special about Sony DAP makes the combination so good? Juiced up bass / mid/ treble?
2. I use a Dunu Blanche silver cable. The stock cable is actually very good but I do like what silver does and I very much like swappable tips.

3. They are developed and tuned to go well together but I’m sure they can wirk equally well with other daps, it’s all a matter of personal preference

Mar 22, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #13,538 of 15,276
All iems like good sources and the IER-Z1R is no exception. That said, it works well with everything I've connected it to.

Mar 22, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #13,539 of 15,276

I did an hour or so of A/Bing my BTR7 and WM1AM2 and couldn’t tell a single difference. I’ll spend some more time this week A/Bing.

Mar 22, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #13,543 of 15,276
what’s a safe way to switch out my cable without damaging it? I’ve been using the stock 3.5, but now I have a player that utilizes the 4.4, but I’m afraid I may disconnect it wrong. Thanks

The Z1R mmcx connector is very strudy, no need to worry. Just slip your nail into the gap between the body and the connector and it comes off with a sure click.

Mar 22, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #13,544 of 15,276
what’s a safe way to switch out my cable without damaging it? I’ve been using the stock 3.5, but now I have a player that utilizes the 4.4, but I’m afraid I may disconnect it wrong. Thanks
Grab the cable on the IEM end by the connector and pull straight up, no wiggling. There should be no issue that way, I’ve never had any and I swapped cables a bunch of times between the stock 3.5mm and stock 4.4mm.

Don’t pull by the cable to avoid shorting out the internal MMCX soldering or breaking the wires.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #13,545 of 15,276
the earhooks on the stock cable driving me crazy, they dont stay down and just pop up over my ear with movement, does anyone else have this issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back