SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 5, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #13,186 of 15,280
Virtually all the big reviewers seems to think so
And there's a reason for that! They are super competitive on today's market especially considering their price. Worth every pound or penny.

Feb 5, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #13,187 of 15,280
Does anyone use the included cable windy thingie when storing their Z1R's? I bought a few of the Campfire Audio mesh bags with two compartments for a few of my IEMs I want to keep in good shape - might just use one of those and a pelican case and leave the case in the box - it is nice, but doesn't seem too practical.
For me, it is very casual:

thumbnail_20230205_194228.jpg

Feb 5, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #13,188 of 15,280
Is the z1r still worth it in 2023? Is it still an endgame iem?
I believe so, i tried newer high end iems at the shop few days a go, cause to be honest im kind of tired looking at the z1r on my table everyday waiting for me to put it on. But in the end i bought nothing.
Some does better in mid range, some does better in treble and more airy, etc
But overall i still find the z1r suits my taste the best. Its just something about it that make it sound “grand”

Side notes, if you like good thumping bass, nothing, i mean NOTHING! Will beat z1r.
🤪

Feb 5, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #13,189 of 15,280
One way of looking at these - is a smaller company - one that didn't also manufacture $20 memory chips - had committed the engineering and manufacturing to create a hybrid IEM like the Z1R, it would cost more than an obravo megabuck IEM.... So I think a grand is actually quite a deal.

Feb 6, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #13,190 of 15,280
For me, Z1R does three things better TOGETHER than any other IEM I've tried and owned, including some of today's $3000+ TOTLs: bass, female vocals and cathedral-like stage. Some IEMs arguably match and even better it for each of these, but not a single IEM I've heard, regardless of price, does all three better than Z1R...and that's before we talk of Z1R's other excellent attributes, like treble and detail. So no, for me, while there's lots out there that's different, even excellent or technically more impressive, if the three things above are as important to you in the same IEM as they are to me, and if you get a good fit, in my opinion, Z1R is the best there is -- at ANY price.

Feb 6, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #13,191 of 15,280
Feb 7, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #13,192 of 15,280
I was in exactly the same spot! I guess the signature could potentially be enough for the Arya while allowing for sensitive IEMs but the Z1Rs aren't really sensitive. The Diablo is a beast, a lot of power. I'll probably still be sporting an IEMatch at some point to give me a bit more volume control but all of this really is the almost complete package for me :)

How does the Diablo compare to the wm1a using the ier-z1r ?
Does the Diablo fixes the thinness of the ier-z1r vocals enough ? (considering wm1a does it better?).

Do you think the balanced circuitry of the Diablo is crucial considering the Signature already has enough power for iems ?
Many people prefer the Diablo for its dynamism and engaging sound ; but the z1r's weaknesses are the mids in which the Signature is good at.

I need latency free devices for desktop. Or do you know if the mojo2 pairs well with the ier z1r ?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #13,193 of 15,280
How does the Diablo compare to the wm1a using the ier-z1r ?
Does the Diablo fixes the thinness of the ier-z1r vocals enough ? (considering wm1a does it better?).

Do you think the balanced circuitry of the Diablo is crucial considering the Signature already has enough power for iems ?
Many people prefer the Diablo for its dynamism and engaging sound ; but the z1r's weaknesses are the mids in which the Signature is good at.

I need latency free devices for desktop, this is why I'm interested in the idsd as well as the mojos.
I'm using the gryphon flawlessly with the Z1R. What a deal that little device is! I can only imagine how much better it might get with the better models.

Feb 7, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #13,194 of 15,280
I'm using the gryphon flawlessly with the Z1R. What a deal that little device is! I can only imagine how much better it might get with the better models.
Are there reasons you prefered the Gryphon over the mojo2 ? It was the most praised dap/dac in 2022. I wonder how it pairs with the z1r, and if it fixes the think vocals the way the mw1 series do.

Feb 8, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #13,196 of 15,280
Are there reasons you prefered the Gryphon over the mojo2 ? It was the most praised dap/dac in 2022. I wonder how it pairs with the z1r, and if it fixes the think vocals the way the mw1 series do.
I was going after either but the gryphon came open box for a good deal, couldn't say no.

Feb 8, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #13,197 of 15,280
These posts might be of interest to you:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...ge-95-of-thread.885405/page-441#post-17371181
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...ing-on-page-95-of-thread.885405/post-17378040

As a side note, in the US the Mojo 2 is more expensive than the Gryphon, in the EU it's the other way around.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #13,199 of 15,280
Welp, I finally bit the bullet and picked up a pair of these. I have a pair of Fiio FH9 that I absolutely ADORE and am looking to see how these compare. I've been flirting with the Sonys for a while and they won't be able to get here soon enough, lol.

Feb 9, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #13,200 of 15,280
Visiting tokyo and visited e-earphone. What a treat to go, played with daps with the z1r, managed to try the Susvaras. Tried all the TOTL IEMs from diff companies.

DAPs I enjoyed the z1r the most is the Cayin N8ii , and the Fiio m17.

IEMs that I enjoyed other than the Z1R with my WM1A is the Anole VX-S. I kept going back to the Anole after trying other TOTL iems. Honor mentions to the Legend X Japanese Gold Edition for the godly bass, but I still find IER-Z1R one of the most natural IEM ive heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back