SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 20, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #12,706 of 15,280
Slowly reading my way through this thread and considering a purchase. Can anyone speak to failures and whether it would be worth taking an extended warranty plan? I understand they only come with a 1 year warranty here in Canada. I'm looking to purchase new, but would consider used if someone has a set they want to part with at a reasonable price. I've seen them in the classifieds but the most recent ad for a pair was over a month ago and no response to state if they're still available.

Note that I have a very specific use case: I wear IEMs while sleeping. I have constant tinnitus and the only way I've found relief is to be always wearing an IEM and listening to music/movies/tv. I've managed to break 2 pairs of Shure SE846 which have a signature that I absolutely love. I'm hoping the Z1R would be comparable, if not better. I've tried other high-end universal IEMs but so far haven't managed to find a pair of Z1R in the wild so I have no idea how they would sound like a nd to me.
I've heard of 2 people's ears that the Z1R actually fit inside but otherwise they are definitely not the best design for side sleeping - also for the price I wouldn't recommend risking wrecking one.
I highly recommend the IER-Z1R for general listening but for sleeping I recommend you consider something wireless like the Linkbuds S. I recently got them and find them so light and comfortable that you don't even feel like you're wearing them and there is no wire to get tangled as you turn in your sleep. If you disable all the noise-canceling settings etc you should be able to make it through the night on a charge. Obviously they don't match the Z1R but can still hit the sweet spot with certain tracks and considering you will be asleep for most might make them a consideration. Another advantage is the tap controls on either side which have a certain amount of configuration so you can easily adjust volume or skip tracks.

Oct 20, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #12,707 of 15,280
I've heard of 2 people's ears that the Z1R actually fit inside but otherwise they are definitely not the best design for side sleeping - also for the price I wouldn't recommend risking wrecking one.
I highly recommend the IER-Z1R for general listening but for sleeping I recommend you consider something wireless like the Linkbuds S. I recently got them and find them so light and comfortable that you don't even feel like you're wearing them and there is no wire to get tangled as you turn in your sleep. If you disable all the noise-canceling settings etc you should be able to make it through the night on a charge. Obviously they don't match the Z1R but can still hit the sweet spot with certain tracks and considering you will be asleep for most might make them a consideration. Another advantage is the tap controls on either side which have a certain amount of configuration so you can easily adjust volume or skip tracks.
I have huge ears and my Z1R fit deep in them but I could still not use the sleeping on my side. I also use the LinkBuds S for night time use and with everything disabled listening to audiobooks they last a little over 8 hours. However I have to disable the touch features or they will be constantly activated when my head moves on the pillow. And being free from wires during the night is brilliant

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #12,708 of 15,280
Slowly reading my way through this thread and considering a purchase. Can anyone speak to failures and whether it would be worth taking an extended warranty plan? I understand they only come with a 1 year warranty here in Canada. I'm looking to purchase new, but would consider used if someone has a set they want to part with at a reasonable price. I've seen them in the classifieds but the most recent ad for a pair was over a month ago and no response to state if they're still available.

Note that I have a very specific use case: I wear IEMs while sleeping. I have constant tinnitus and the only way I've found relief is to be always wearing an IEM and listening to music/movies/tv. I've managed to break 2 pairs of Shure SE846 which have a signature that I absolutely love. I'm hoping the Z1R would be comparable, if not better. I've tried other high-end universal IEMs but so far haven't managed to find a pair of Z1R in the wild so I have no idea how they would sound to me.
forget the ier-z1r.

please try sennheiser ie900 if you want totl. or the ie300 which is also very good.

Oct 20, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #12,709 of 15,280
forget the ier-z1r.

please try sennheiser ie900 if you want totl. or the ie300 which is also very good.
The Z1R needs to be in the line up for a top iem, after that it comes down to fit and personal preferences

Oct 20, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #12,710 of 15,280
The Z1R needs to be in the line up for a top iem, after that it comes down to fit and personal preferences
the ier-z1r is an absolute totl iem. i just said forget it because these diamonds are not made for sleeping and turning around :).

in a direct comparison, a sennheiser ie300 / ie900 or any mentioned tws here is by far better.

Oct 20, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #12,711 of 15,280
After reading some reviews and comments, the M9 certainly is another option. It uses the magnesium alloy casing as well. I'm probably going to order a pair of them along with the Z1R and see which one is more to my liking. Thanks for mentioning them... I tend to always look at the flagships when I'm searching for new gear but that's a practice I should try to change.

EDIT: Decided to give the IER-M9 a try first. At my age and with my tinnitus, going with the flagship isn't likely going to benefit me as much. I can still tell the difference between IEMs like my Shure SE846 and Fiio FH7, and certainly between my cans as well. But will the extra $$ for the IER-Z1R be that much better? Hopefully the M9 meet or exceed the signature of the SE846, which I really love. They're not for everyone, but they suit me fine... just wish they came in an all metal enclosure. The new Gen2 version is 1/2 in anodized aluminum, but the other half is still plastic.
I like my shure se846s with the shure bluetooth ear hooks for outside walks & the m9s for inside listening. The m9s are great you won't be disappointed.

Oct 20, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #12,712 of 15,280
the ier-z1r is an absolute totl iem. i just said forget it because these diamonds are not made for sleeping and turning around :).

in a direct comparison, a sennheiser ie300 / ie900 or any mentioned tws here is by far better.
Lol your statement is a bit ambiguous.
It could means "forget Z1R, get IE900 if you want TOTL" which assumed as Z1R level is far below IE900 🤣

Oct 20, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #12,713 of 15,280

Not for sleeping I understand, but why not turning around?
I use mine for jogging without any issues!

Fit is either hit or miss, only way to tell is trying yourself.

Oct 20, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #12,714 of 15,280
Note that I have a very specific use case: I wear IEMs while sleeping.
actually, i just wanted to copy this part only.

i have the z1r and had the ie900.

i can tell you my experience: if you sleep and turn your head, so that the ear of one side is on the pillow or couch:
1) with something like ie900 = you almost do not feel it at all.
2) with z1r - i just tried it - felt like someone is trying to drill the huge metal right into my head.

maybe my normal size ear with m size tips are not made for "sleeping on the side with ier-z1r". besides this. the z1r is so amazing!

i just meant the sleeping scenario. sorry for being not context specific enough this time :)

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #12,715 of 15,280
Ordered my Z1Rs this week. All these "tips" for tips to use are very helpful. I'm not a fan of foam tips so I'm not sure I'll be interested in the triple comfort tips Sony provides. Final E and Spiral Dots are some of my favorite tips; starting to like Spinfit CP145 a lot too.
due to this post, i bought the spinfit cp145, too, beyond the cp100 and symbio w (hybrid) - i am curious about the differences and fit. because the ier z1r is so large and heavy, it needs to fit perfectly.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #12,716 of 15,280
I highly recommend the IER-Z1R for general listening but for sleeping I recommend you consider something wireless like the Linkbuds S. I recently got them and find them so light and comfortable that you don't even feel like you're wearing them and there is no wire to get tangled as you turn in your sleep.

Other than the plastic shells for the SE846 cracking and/or splitting open, I have no issues sleeping with a wired setup. I've tried a few TWS sets but none have really impressed me. As for turning on my side, I primarily sleep on my back but never 'unconsciously' turn on either side. When I do turn on my side (L or R), it's usually because I've been woken up by one or more of my health issues.

Unfortunately I'm in forced early retirement due to my health. Without wearing IEMs my sleep can be very erratic, due mainly to the tinnitus waking me. My neurologist suggested I consider bone conduction implants to combat the tinnitus, but that's elective surgery and comes with a pretty hefty cost and no guarantee it will work. Now that I'm on disability income it's not as easy to make those decisions. I do have enough budgeted for a new set of high-end IEMs, so hopefully one of the units with metal casing will meet my needs.

forget the ier-z1r.

I've got the IE900 on my list. I wasn't too impressed with the IE800. I owned a pair for 20 days but returned them as they just didn't excite me enough to enjoy using them. I have had a listen to a pair of IE300 and wasn't happy with them, but probably not a fair assessment as it was a brief listening session. I do love my modded HD800 cans so I'm not afraid to try the IE900. As mentioned, I've ordered the M9s and they should be here today. I'm so used to the SE846 signature that I'm sure I'll have some things to get used to, but hopefully none are deal-breakers. If the M9s don't meet my expectations then the IE900 will be up next.

Not for sleeping I understand, but why not turning around?

Fit is either hit or miss, only way to tell is trying yourself.

You're using the Z1R while jogging? The one time I took my HD800 out of the house they got scratched, so now my high-end cans (and IEMs) stay at home. Regardless, I took another look at the size of the Z1R and as everyone has mentioned, fit is likely going to be an issue. For now they stay on the list, but likely won't get purchased for use while sleeping. The M9s on the other hand look promising.

Oct 20, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #12,718 of 15,280
Just received my Radius HP-DME01CL Deep Mount tips from amazon.jp, the secured fitting is the best for Z1R so far since it is literally a deeper fit. However, I feel the bass is significantly weakened compared to AZLA Max.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #12,719 of 15,280
They're here.... thanks to everyone who pushed me towards the M9s. After receiving them and a short listening session, I'm loving the low end. Even hearing more sub-bass than I did with the SE846. They do however seem a little tame in the higher end, but that could be tip related as well. I'm using Spinfit CP240 double flanges that have been great with the SE846. I've got an assortment of large bore tips that came with my FH7, as well as some I've purchased so I'll play around with different types and see if that opens up the high end.

If I do decide to keep them, I'll have to dig in and see if I can find some of those elusive EP-NI1000 tips. The SE846 with the CP240 could easily be jiggled to remove the vacuum/pressure effect but the M9s are that much larger that it's a little difficult. And I really have to thank those that mentioned the size of the Z1R. From pics I was under the impression that the M9s were close in size to the SE846, but they're actually about 25% larger as well. So the Z1R would be quite a bit larger and definitely wouldn't work well for sleeping with.

Fingers crossed that with some tip experimentation and a little break-in time, the M9s will be perfect for my needs. And one day when I beat my health issues and go back to work, I'll likely still save up to grab a pair of the Z1R for daytime listening.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #12,720 of 15,280
They're here.... thanks to everyone who pushed me towards the M9s. After receiving them and a short listening session, I'm loving the low end. Even hearing more sub-bass than I did with the SE846. They do however seem a little tame in the higher end, but that could be tip related as well. I'm using Spinfit CP240 double flanges that have been great with the SE846. I've got an assortment of large bore tips that came with my FH7, as well as some I've purchased so I'll play around with different types and see if that opens up the high end.

If I do decide to keep them, I'll have to dig in and see if I can find some of those elusive EP-NI1000 tips. The SE846 with the CP240 could easily be jiggled to remove the vacuum/pressure effect but the M9s are that much larger that it's a little difficult. And I really have to thank those that mentioned the size of the Z1R. From pics I was under the impression that the M9s were close in size to the SE846, but they're actually about 25% larger as well. So the Z1R would be quite a bit larger and definitely wouldn't work well for sleeping with.

Fingers crossed that with some tip experimentation and a little break-in time, the M9s will be perfect for my needs. And one day when I beat my health issues and go back to work, I'll likely still save up to grab a pair of the Z1R for daytime listening.

If you find highs are too tame / soft to you, the EP-NI1000 will make them sounded softer / smoother, Maybe try wider bore, like azla short, or spinfit CP360 to boost up 4-6 khz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back