SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 12, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #12,646 of 15,336
Anyone have any sidegrade recs for the IER Z1Rs? I got some and they are too big for my ears, currently trying to sell to fund a purchase for a new pair, but I am lost on what to get, I have been looking at the U12Ts since people hype those a lot

Oct 12, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #12,647 of 15,336
Anyone have any sidegrade recs for the IER Z1Rs? I got some and they are too big for my ears, currently trying to sell to fund a purchase for a new pair, but I am lost on what to get, I have been looking at the U12Ts since people hype those a lot

If you are looking for similar tonality / character with Z1R, try the 64audio Tia Trio instead of u12t. The u12t is more like sony IER M9, but with better technicalities, better both extension, but still towards monitor IEM. But if you are looking for complimentary IEM, the u12t can be your Z1R best buddy (or enemy, fighting priorities to your ears)

Oct 12, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #12,648 of 15,336
If you are looking for similar tonality / character with Z1R, try the 64audio Tia Trio instead of u12t. The u12t is more like sony IER M9, but with better technicalities, better both extension, but still towards monitor IEM. But if you are looking for complimentary IEM, the u12t can be your Z1R best buddy (or enemy, fighting priorities to your ears)
You have great prices there, The cheapest one in box here is 1370

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #12,650 of 15,336
What are you looking at as a Side grade? Same kind of sound or different tuning entirely?

Oct 13, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #12,652 of 15,336
I just joined the IER-Z1R "owners club", received them in the mail last night and got 1 hour of listening.
Fit seems OK, thank god. Sound is really special, super energetic, has a different feel to it than any of my other IEMs, flowing more naturally yet also very fast and naturally resolving. With some instruments I had the feeling that the Z1R sounds more realistic than I have gotten used to from other IEMs and headphones.
Now it's time to "start getting to know each other" (me and the Z1R) :xf_cool:

Cheers!

Oct 13, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #12,653 of 15,336
I just joined the IER-Z1R "owners club", received them in the mail last night and got 1 hour of listening.
Fit seems OK, thank god. Sound is really special, super energetic, has a different feel to it than any of my other IEMs, flowing more naturally yet also very fast and naturally resolving. With some instruments I had the feeling that the Z1R sounds more realistic than I have gotten used to from other IEMs and headphones.
Now it's time to "start getting to know each other" (me and the Z1R) :xf_cool:

Cheers!

Congratulations mate, if you can get fit right, definitely 1 of the best IEM ever created, with absolutely best bass, trebles and soundstage, at least for me.
The Z1R ticks lot of my endgame criteria, so i call them my closest to my endgame. The perfect IEM for endgame isn't real, if i chase for the mids in other IEM, maybe i will lose the almost perfect bass in Z1R, so after spending lot of time, and money chasing shadows, I declared the Z1R as my personal closest to endgame, not perfect but really close.

Oct 13, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #12,654 of 15,336
Same kinda sound, That sound being brain rattling slam and macrodynamics

64audio Tia Trio then, or some would say Empire Ears Legend Evo but that one is bit extreme v shaped, not my cup of tea

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #12,655 of 15,336
64audio Tia Trio then, or some would say Empire Ears Legend Evo but that one is bit extreme v shaped, not my cup of tea
I actually prefer Legend X to EVO if you're talking about Z1R replacements. Z1R has better treble and bass quality, but LX has excellent bass (not as overdone as some say), very natural warm mids, and a relaxed treble.

Oct 13, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #12,656 of 15,336
Congratulations mate, if you can get fit right, definitely 1 of the best IEM ever created, with absolutely best bass, trebles and soundstage, at least for me.
The Z1R ticks lot of my endgame criteria, so i call them my closest to my endgame. The perfect IEM for endgame isn't real, if i chase for the mids in other IEM, maybe i will lose the almost perfect bass in Z1R, so after spending lot of time, and money chasing shadows, I declared the Z1R as my personal closest to endgame, not perfect but really close.
Agreed, I still find the Z1R the most perfect on everything for me, other than some stray Lofi and Acoustic music.
I find the best duo complement for Z1R is with KSE1200 to cover basically any genre there is, can't find anything the two can't handle.
IMO Andromeda, B2Dusk and others I've tried fall short to being Z1R's perfect duo.
Same kinda sound, That sound being brain rattling slam and macrodynamics
Sadly I can't suggest anything to that as I stopped searching for basshead iem after getting the Z1R, but here are the ones that come up on most comparisons, I have never heard any of these:
More balanced, all rounder and cheaper: IER M9, but append expectation for the bass. Also yeah maybe U12T.

Similar enough competition: IE900, MEST MK2, Monarch Mk2.

With the Sennheiser ie900 and Sony M9 having the easiest fit to have right.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #12,659 of 15,336
I have sony zx300, but i like warmer sound, so i think wm1zam2 sounds warm. M17 sound warm to me. Just wondering maybe wm1zam2 sounds better than m17 or not. I tried astell kern sp3000 sounds neutral for me, so i don’t choose it.
Sony M2 series are not warm as M1 series (original firmware), from my experience, they are more analytical. I have not tried M17 but it has plenty of power that can feed to Z1R (power hungry), but more power is not equal to better sound.
I am using WM1AM2 with BA300s, BA300s adds a little bit of warmth to sound and low frequency. I think 1AM2 + Cayin C9 is a combo worth trying.

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #12,660 of 15,336
Sony M2 series are not warm as M1 series (original firmware), from my experience, they are more analytical. I have not tried M17 but it has plenty of power that can feed to Z1R (power hungry), but more power is not equal to better sound.
I am using WM1AM2 with BA300s, BA300s adds a little bit of warmth to sound and low frequency. I think 1AM2 + Cayin C9 is a combo worth trying.
So maybe wm1z alone is good enough Or wm1zam2 alone. I have xba z5. I like it much better for warm sound. Because i using it with zx300. If Sony wm1z/wm1zam2 doesn’t make ier z1r good enough. Probably xba z5 will be match with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back