SONY IER-Z1R
Sep 4, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #12,556 of 15,437
Going back retro. You know it's a great IEM when it makes you take out all the gear from past lives to relive old memories.

Can't believe the iBasso DX90 from 2015 is still sounding amazing with the IER-Z1R. Using 220 High Gain.

IMG_6898.jpg

Sep 4, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #12,557 of 15,437
Going back retro. You know it's a great IEM when it makes you take out all the gear from past lives to relive old memories.

Can't believe the iBasso DX90 from 2015 is still sounding amazing with the IER-Z1R. Using 220 High Gain.

IMG_6898.jpg
Yes I enjoyed both the DX50 and DX90 when I had them tough I paired them with one of Ray Samuels small balanced battery amps, can’t remember which one, probably Raptor or Predator

Sep 4, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #12,559 of 15,437
Sep 5, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #12,560 of 15,437
Balanced will allow for 4x the power, yes. Unbalanced gives you 62.5mW and Balanced gives you 250mW

I've only had the HD820 for roughly a month, not sure how much different it is to the HD800S but i could drive the HD820 perfectly on Low-Gain with the WM1Z and the M11 Plus. For very quiet songs i had to go to Mid-Gain on the M11 Plus but because Low-Gain on the WM1Z is louder than Low-Gain on the M11 Plus.

But other than that, i did not have any issues. You will, of course, be able to speeze a bit more sound quality out with an Desktop Amp, but that is always the case, no matter what Earhpone/Headphone you choose.

At lower voluems, the DAPs even performed better than my Desktop Amp. Capacitors change their sound depending on how much power you drain out of them. If you listen at lower volumes, Desktop Amps often start to sound meh.

But the HD820 were very easy to drive, i was surprised. So if the HD800S are the same, you won't have any issues
Vamp898, thank you for the detailed and useful responses. Reading up on the output power, from what I understand, 4x output power results in about twice the loudness? Do you find that to be true? Would you happen to know why they made the balanced output more powerful?

I have a pair of Beyerdynamic T1 which are 600 ohms which I will try out of curiousity.

I noticed your signature shows the Sony IER-Z1R so I’m wondering if you feel those are the best IEMs to pair with the Sony DAPs. When I finally get my player, I will try it with the headphones I already own and Sennheiser IE80. If they don’t suck too badly, I’ll get the Z1R or the IE900 and hope they aren’t replaced within 6 months.

Sep 5, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #12,561 of 15,437
Vamp898, thank you for the detailed and useful responses. Reading up on the output power, from what I understand, 4x output power results in about twice the loudness? Do you find that to be true? Would you happen to know why they made the balanced output more powerful?

I have a pair of Beyerdynamic T1 which are 600 ohms which I will try out of curiousity.

I noticed your signature shows the Sony IER-Z1R so I’m wondering if you feel those are the best IEMs to pair with the Sony DAPs. When I finally get my player, I will try it with the headphones I already own and Sennheiser IE80. If they don’t suck too badly, I’ll get the Z1R or the IE900 and hope they aren’t replaced within 6 months.
Sound Waves are an PAIT (like all waves and fluids and pretty much everything physics related :D)

The double Volume is 6db, but you percieve it as the double volume with an increase of 10db

So objective its 6db, subjective its 10db

According to Sony, the difference between High Gain and Low Gain is 10db

4x the Power means an increase of 6db

That means balanced is 6db louder than SE, and High-Gain is 10db louder as Low Gain.

Sep 5, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #12,562 of 15,437
Can anyone tell me where I could obtain earbuds for the Z1R same as the ‘Triple-ComFort L’ supplied with them as original?

Sep 5, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #12,563 of 15,437
Can anyone tell me where I could obtain earbuds for the Z1R same as the ‘Triple-ComFort L’ supplied with them as original?
If you want them in gray, you have to ask Sony or an Sony Authorised reseller.

If black is okay, they are called EP-TC50L

Sep 5, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #12,564 of 15,437
If you want them in gray, you have to ask Sony or an Sony Authorised reseller.

If black is okay, they are called EP-TC50L

You can find them on ebay if you cannot find them locally search for EP-TC50L is for Large, EP-TC50M for medium. EP-TC50S for small. However, there are none of the in between size available.

Sep 5, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #12,565 of 15,437
Sep 7, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #12,566 of 15,437
Thanks, great info, thought my MDR was going wonky after years of torture by me, lol.
What happen with your MDR?
Mine is still going strong even tho it's 2016-2017 production, just some aging on the pads and headband, they are using quite a thin leather on some of those parts sadly
not just any desktop amp...ZH1ES as you know :) perfect synergy
I've tried it on my Hugo 2 and Topping A90....but nothing transforms the Z1R as much as the ZH1ES
I really need to sit down and listen with my IER plugged to the Taz more.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #12,567 of 15,437

Running Beyer T1 and Audio-Technica ADX5000 out of my WM1A, 600 and 420 ohm respectively. On high gain and mostly around 80-100 Volume and they are running mighty fine. Heck for a time the WM1A is basically my best source to run them, I find them sounding better than from my old Topping DX7s' Bal XLR out, which is weird as they have like 4-5x the power and 20ohm output impedance, which high Impedance headphone should like....
I guess amp synergy is just way more important than spec and figures.

The 1A just can't beat the Tazzy tho.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #12,568 of 15,437
Running Beyer T1 and Audio-Technica ADX5000 out of my WM1A, 600 and 420 ohm respectively. On high gain and mostly around 80-100 Volume and they are running mighty fine. Heck for a time the WM1A is basically my best source to run them, I find them sounding better than from my old Topping DX7s' Bal XLR out, which is weird as they have like 4-5x the power and 20ohm output impedance, which high Impedance headphone should like....
I guess amp synergy is just way more important than spec and figures.

The 1A just can't beat the Tazzy tho.
Thats unfair, nothing can beat the Tazzy.

Sep 7, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #12,570 of 15,437
What happen with your MDR?
Mine is still going strong even tho it's 2016-2017 production, just some aging on the pads and headband, they are using quite a thin leather on some of those parts sadly

I really need to sit down and listen with my IER plugged to the Taz more.
O, my MDR is fine, guess im nitpicking it after i just got the ier Z1R, really good one. Still burning in, getting better and better :L3000:. By the way, think ier is still in production, the box state june 2022, the serial number now is 15xxxx.

So tempted to get the Tazzy after reading it was so highly praised, but i needed Sony updated DSEE Ultimate and Im using WM1ZM2 at the moment, makes itunes aac256 files sounds so good. Probably I will wait for Tazzy descendent, Tarzan :beerchug: (maybe name Taz M2).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back