SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 26, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #12,376 of 15,280
Another random comparison: IER Z1R vs Moondrop S8?
Had only a short time to demo both but S8's treble reminds me of Z1R's. Bass is ofc a whole different story
Haha. I also considered doing this test but I was thinking not worth my time. I already have the blessing2. If you wish to have a taste of that S8 sound, buy a Blessing2 and save some money for that Z1R :wink:

Jul 26, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #12,377 of 15,280
Now if only Sony make Z1R configuration and tuning be an option in their JustEar line of Customs
You actually can through the MH1R option. It costs more but you can have practically any tuning you want with it. Even previous “Artist Tunings” like LiSA’s or Sawano Hiroyuki’s are possible to get.

I’m hoping I’d get a chance to be in Japan for at least a few months so I could get my own tuning done.

Jul 26, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #12,378 of 15,280
Another random comparison: IER Z1R vs Moondrop S8?
Had only a short time to demo both but S8's treble reminds me of Z1R's. Bass is ofc a whole different story
The Z1R and S8s are my daily drivers (+B2). I enjoy both trebles. With Z1R's height and staging, the S8's techs can't compete but with the weaker BA bass of the S8, the treble really shines and it's so engaging to the point of addiction. Part of me is like, I am not a basslet after listening to the S8 but the Z1R is so smooth and such an easy listen. Also, the forward midrange of the S8 just makes singers pop, especially female vocals and it feels like they're singing to you as the lower frequencies don't engulf too much for the listening experience. I am still debating if I want to retire the S8 again and go back to the Variations for that amazing subbass that the Z1R can't hit and that almost plasticky but well-defined treble due to the EST (The treble bites harder than the S8, but the quality isn't there), but we will see. I'm just hoping Moondrop will have a great "flagship" IEM again, as I'm tired of the sub $200 items when you already venture into the Killobuck territory.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #12,379 of 15,280
IMHO the S8 is different tuned IEM that more similar to M9 rather than Z1R.
While Z1R is shining on bass and treble extension and grande Soundstage presentation, the S8 are showing their mid ability, as @JLP415 said the S8 more prominent on high mids especially female vocals. If you like sweet mids, vocals, you will like the S8 presentation that you may lacks in Z1R not because Z1R mids are bad per se but just because overshadowed by Z1R's great bass and detailed extended trebles.

On side note, I still prefer M9 to the S8 for myself but im sensitive to to 3khz moreover if tuned more than 8db from zero point. And M9 imaging is better than S8 although S8 have great resolution and details too.

Jul 27, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #12,380 of 15,280
agreed with the statement, z1r strengths are its DD treble and bass which over shadow the mid. still own the z1r since its launch but i do use serial for casual youtube or conference call

Jul 27, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #12,381 of 15,280
Urghh Z1R's bass and guitar replay keeps echoing in my mind as I'm listening with my cheapo sets. I keep thinking of how they could've (should've) sound. That 3 hours of demoing has burnt in something in my mind...

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #12,382 of 15,280
For a clear upgrade, I can only image a few IEMs beating Z1R in the bass performance, such as EVO, XE6.
I disagree here. Had VE flagships on loan last month, and the Firs last week so these are especially fresh on my mind.

On an objectivity level Z1R is a another level completely over any of the Fir's, and trading blows but generally better than the EXT. I sold off my EE Odin's which I personally prefer over the EVO, though admittedly the EE flagships have better detail retrieval up top.

Subjectively, Z1R is significantly ahead of all the above transducers as a whole product. It has a maturity and refinement to its sound, despite being colorful and bold with its big bass and sharper attack in the treble - the Sony is capable of recreating a tangible sound space with much more refined coherency and delimitations and textures much better than the counterparts.

If I am being honest, the XE6 is probably even inferior to IER-M9 if adding up all metrics in portraying music accurately, and sounds soft/ blunted if not even limp compared to most kilobuck iem's. I appreciate the effort in development for proprietary bass on the Fir stuff, but it favors midbass over sub bass and quantity over quality - not really my thing.

I think VE presents the best total package as a boutique brand, where both sound and build quality is fantastic.

Empire Ears definitely can make great sounding devices, but are known for the upper treble suppression in their house tuning (take it or leave it, it makes for a more focussed sound). Build quality to me is not great, especially since my Odin had driver flex on both earpieces and a cable that felt pretty cheap (stormbreaker).

Fir products are beautifully crafted and full of tweakability which is appreciated when you're tryign to understand what all this $ is getting you. That being said, I find the sound quality proposed by the NE4, KR5 & XE6 is not great for the asking price.

My 2 cents as someone who took a while to get Z1R and give it the respect it deserves :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 27, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #12,383 of 15,280
Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #12,384 of 15,280
I was scrolling through HBB Twitter IEM impressions and I saw a tweet of his stating that Z1R is getting a refresh. Any news on that?
The IER-Z1R is one of the newest one, I'd be surprised.

Sony still sells the XBA-Z5 from 2014, in think that one gets an update first

Jul 27, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #12,385 of 15,280
Jul 27, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #12,386 of 15,280
Jul 28, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #12,388 of 15,280
There are rumours of a DMP-Z1 M2 & MDR-Z1R M2 coming at the end of 2022, but nothing on IER-Z1R M2 unfortunately.
Here's hoping a TA-ZH1ESM2 is in the works as well. I would look forward to owning one.

Jul 28, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #12,390 of 15,280
Hello everyone. I’ve just purchased the new SpinFit W1 tips to use with the Z1R and from what I’ve experienced these do not play well together. The deeper fit of the Z1R plays against the strengths of the tips meaning the pivoting system on the tips makes it near impossible to get a seal.

Just as an FYI in case anybody here was thinking of getting those tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back