SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 21, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #12,361 of 15,271
I've never tried universal tips with the Z1R. I haven't the patience for them. After my experience trying to get a good fit and seal with universals with the u12t, and then getting custom tips, I went straight to custom tips with the Z1R. Fantastic sound owing to a perfect seal and all day comfort.
Thanks, very tempted. I learned the customized tip before but from the only comment I could find on the internet it reduced the bass a bit.

Jul 21, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #12,362 of 15,271
Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #12,363 of 15,271
I am yet to find a genuine “upgrade” to the IER-Z1R. I think the Elysian Acoustic Labs Annihilator and X are the two closest IEM’s I’ve heard to Z1R with superior detail retrieval, but they both lose out to Z1R on bass and treble texturing. I think Z1R has a taller and deeper soundstage than Annihilator, and a wider stage than X.

I think we might need to wait for Sony themselves to create a true upgrade :)
Jeez, D.

A post like this makes me want to do something crazy…like revisit the Z1R.

Jul 23, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #12,365 of 15,271

rucoy-highlander.gif

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #12,368 of 15,271
Now if only Sony make Z1R configuration and tuning be an option in their JustEar line of Customs

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #12,369 of 15,271
Now if only Sony make Z1R configuration and tuning be an option in their JustEar line of Customs
Or like Acoustune's custom inner shell (ST-series) initiative for UIEM into (reversible) semi-customs.

Jul 25, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #12,370 of 15,271
Anyone happens to own both UM MEXT/Mest MkII & IER Z1R?
I'm thinking of upgrading from my MEXT to something that is also lively and has the same "grandeur", so to speak.

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #12,371 of 15,271
Anyone happens to own both UM MEXT/Mest MkII & IER Z1R?
I'm thinking of upgrading from my MEXT to something that is also lively and has the same "grandeur", so to speak.
I don't have them simultaneously, however, according to my memory, Mest Mk2 to Z1R is not a clear upgrade since they have quite different sound signature. Z1R has better bass while Mk2 has better mids. Z1R has "grandeur" soundstage while Mk2 has a different feel in soundstage (3D?). I can't say anything regarding the treble as I can't trust my memory on it. If you are leaning towards basshead, Z1R might be a better choice, but if you really care for mids, Mk2 has a sweet mids.

If you already have mk2, it is a great TOTL. I would suggest you try something else to complement mk2 instead of upgrading.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #12,372 of 15,271
I don't have them simultaneously, however, according to my memory, Mest Mk2 to Z1R is not a clear upgrade since they have quite different sound signature. Z1R has better bass while Mk2 has better mids. Z1R has "grandeur" soundstage while Mk2 has a different feel in soundstage (3D?). I can't say anything regarding the treble as I can't trust my memory on it. If you are leaning towards basshead, Z1R might be a better choice, but if you really care for mids, Mk2 has a sweet mids.

If you already have mk2, it is a great TOTL. I would suggest you try something else to complement mk2 instead of upgrading.
I had the MEXT which I sold, and while I feel the treble could use a less steeper dip especially the 10khz region, I assume that the "cavernous" experience that I enjoyed & missed cannot be had without the abundance of low end energy.

Tbh I feel like the MEXT is somewhat lacking in mids/vocals, but that'll be the task of the future 2nd IEM.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #12,373 of 15,271

Your description on the MEST MKII is spot on. The MEST MKII has more subbass and mids than the Z1R. However, in my opinion, it causes it to have a more aggressive sound signature. The Z1R's greater midbass and treble presence lends it a more sparkly and relaxing listen. Additionally, in terms of soundstage, Z1R is "taller and deeper" with the MEST MKII being more 3D (i.e. you can see them performing in front of you).

For me, I tried the both of them at Jaben with my WM1Z. I had made up my mind that the final 2 would have to be between the MEST MKII and Z1R. However, I chose the Z1R as I felt that it was something I can listen to for a longer session. On top of that, I must admit that the MEST MKII is an easier fit than the Z1R.

In all, its up to you @pushyo2khun. If you want that more deep reaching sound, consider the Z1R. After all, if your profile picture is anything to go by, if you like Jpop and Anisongs as much as I do, I think it will be up your alley.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #12,374 of 15,271
After all, if your profile picture is anything to go by, if you like Jpop and Anisongs as much as I do, I think it will be up your alley.

As jpop fan myself, I concur that Z1R is made for this genre, that is why upper mid region isn't too forward to begin with, as mostly Jpop, escpecially with female lead singer, usually have forward upper mid characteristic in the mix, that can be shouty on midcentric or high mid forward IEMs. You can't crank it up since the 2.5-3khz region will be too shouty.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #12,375 of 15,271
Another random comparison: IER Z1R vs Moondrop S8?
Had only a short time to demo both but S8's treble reminds me of Z1R's. Bass is ofc a whole different story

Users who are viewing this thread

Back