SONY IER-Z1R
Jun 26, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #12,241 of 15,378
So I finally took out my comply tips after about a year of using them without changing them, and I found these black fuzzy cloth material inside the nozzle. I tried to take it out but it seems to be pretty difficult. I'm not sure if I'm taking out something that I'm not supposed to take out, that's part of the headpiece. Honestly I'm not sure where it's from. Just wondering if it's take to use a tweezer to take it out completely. Thanks all
Yes there is a black foam plug/filter inside the nozzels and it’s glued in place

Jun 26, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #12,242 of 15,378
So I finally took out my comply tips after about a year of using them without changing them, and I found these black fuzzy cloth material inside the nozzle. I tried to take it out but it seems to be pretty difficult. I'm not sure if I'm taking out something that I'm not supposed to take out, that's part of the headpiece. Honestly I'm not sure where it's from. Just wondering if it's take to use a tweezer to take it out completely. Thanks all
Please be aware that the presence or lack of that mentioned filter will affect the sound quite drastically.
1656225496175.png

Jun 26, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #12,244 of 15,378
Indeed. Wow. Are there those who favor removing the filter? I sure wouldn't....
Some have replaced them with foam of a differet density to tune the sound

Jun 26, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #12,247 of 15,378
I replaced the foam on the XBA-Z5 because I damaged it. I tried several foam but non sounded as good as the original.
@Whitigir replaced it in the Z1R and prefered what he did to the stock as far as I remember

Jun 26, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #12,249 of 15,378
Jun 26, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #12,250 of 15,378
Even for me that always mod IEMs, they are too pricey to be lab rabbits.
And seller who sell "sony density foam" as advertised, they are not the same. Sony foam is between the high density "sony foam" and the regular density foam. I have a lot of foams with different densities but none is exactly the same with sony's. Seems like they fabricate the foam by themselves. Make sense knowing sony made almost all of their components by themselves too, BAs, DDs, amplifiers, etc etc

Jun 26, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #12,251 of 15,378
Even for me that always mod IEMs, they are too pricey to be lab rabbits.
And seller who sell "sony density foam" as advertised, they are not the same. Sony foam is between the high density "sony foam" and the regular density foam. I have a lot of foams with different densities but none is exactly the same with sony's. Seems like they fabricate the foam by themselves. Make sense knowing sony made almost all of their components by themselves too, BAs, DDs, amplifiers, etc etc
Agreed, but not just most…they fabricate everything for their products. Then outsourced with closely related manufacturers or other well known brands, even PS5. The substances used inside walkman for capacitor stabilizer were made by themselves

Beside that, they sell most Parts as well

Jun 26, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #12,252 of 15,378
Yes there is a black foam plug/filter inside the nozzels and it’s glued in place

Please be aware that the presence or lack of that mentioned filter will affect the sound quite drastically.
1656225496175.png

Indeed. Wow. Are there those who favor removing the filter? I sure wouldn't....

Some have replaced them with foam of a differet density to tune the sound

I don't dare to touch the Z1R foam^^

Me neither
OMG, at least I didn't remove the whole thing. But the foam part was literally breaking down and bit and pieces of it were just dropping out so I cleaned it up a bit. I listened to it again with the new comply foam tips, and don't notice much of a difference thankfully. Is there anyway of getting the OEM foam/filter to replace it? It seems to be in poor quality as it was literally just breaking apart.

Thanks all!

Jun 26, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #12,253 of 15,378
OMG, at least I didn't remove the whole thing. But the foam part was literally breaking down and bit and pieces of it were just dropping out so I cleaned it up a bit. I listened to it again with the new comply foam tips, and don't notice much of a difference thankfully. Is there anyway of getting the OEM foam/filter to replace it? It seems to be in poor quality as it was literally just breaking apart.

Thanks all!
Not that I know. Mine have no problems after over 3 years use

Jun 27, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #12,254 of 15,378

Thanks all!

See my post above, there are OEM foams but not exactly the same material and density thus lead to slight different sound signature.

Not that I know. Mine have no problems after over 3 years use

My foam dampers also in a good state roughly over 2 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back