SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 18, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #11,641 of 15,335
awesome thanks for all the feedback. Im not really trying to replace the Z1R sound but adhere to its basic tuning but get gains in soundstage and dynamics

I find it doesn't sound as dynamic at lower volumes. I don't know if that is psychoacoustics or something or due to the impedance or some other factor? Is that the case with the XE6 for example ? I am using the Hugo2

Also I really want to fully explore IEM end game as I like my hugo2 setup , as I can listen easily in few places vs full desktop mode. So out of your head sound is definitely an attractive proposition that the XE6 appears to offer a bit more over the Z1Rs

thanks!
That is actually one of XE6’s key features - incredible dynamics, even at low volume. It is far better than Z1R in that respect. It’s a great IEM and I’d highly recommend it, but I’d suggest demoing it first if at all possible because it has a pretty unconventional tuning, and is quite different to Z1R

Mar 18, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #11,642 of 15,335
awesome thanks for all the feedback. Im not really trying to replace the Z1R sound but adhere to its basic tuning but get gains in soundstage and dynamics

I find it doesn't sound as dynamic at lower volumes. I don't know if that is psychoacoustics or something or due to the impedance or some other factor? Is that the case with the XE6 for example ? I am using the Hugo2

Also I really want to fully explore IEM end game as I like my hugo2 setup , as I can listen easily in few places vs full desktop mode. So out of your head sound is definitely an attractive proposition that the XE6 appears to offer a bit more over the Z1Rs

thanks!
With the WM1Z, they sound as dynamic at Volume 001/120 as they do at 080/120

But with the TA-ZH1ES, the don't, not at all. If i go below -60db, they will start to sound flat and dull.

So this is an source issue, not an heapdhone issue. Maybe your source does have too big capacitors/too much power, in that case, you need to push the volume to get the desired sound.

That is why this "more is more" is not always true. Your source seems to be incapable in properly driving the IER-Z1R at lower volumes, this is an frequent issues with devices that are designed to drive headphones that need much more power.

The Maximum Input Power of the IER-Z1R is 100mW. The Hugo2 does have enough power to blow out 3 IER-Z1R at the same time and while doing so, there is still enough power left to drive a fourth one loud enough to make you deaf.

The more power you drain from the capacitors, the more influence do they have on the sound. If you have an device with giant capacitors, but listen at low volumes, they will loose their character and their influence on the sound.

And in that case, most devices start to sound boring and lifeless. So if you have big capacitors (what devices with a lot of power generally do have), you need to listen at high volumes or use headphones that need a lot of power

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #11,643 of 15,335
With the WM1Z, they sound as dynamic at Volume 001/120 as they do at 080/120

But with the TA-ZH1ES, the don't, not at all. If i go below -60db, they will start to sound flat and dull.

So this is an source issue, not an heapdhone issue. Maybe your source does have too big capacitors/too much power, in that case, you need to push the volume to get the desired sound.

That is why this "more is more" is not always true. Your source seems to be incapable in properly driving the IER-Z1R at lower volumes, this is an frequent issues with devices that are designed to drive headphones that need much more power.

The Maximum Input Power of the IER-Z1R is 100mW. The Hugo2 does have enough power to blow out 3 IER-Z1R at the same time and while doing so, there is still enough power left to drive a fourth one loud enough to make you deaf.
Nah compared to XE6 Z1R is quite flat, regardless of source. There’s obviously better and worse sources for Z1R but XE6 is still much more dynamic regardless of source.

Mar 18, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #11,644 of 15,335
Nah compared to XE6 Z1R is quite flat, regardless of source. There’s obviously better and worse sources for Z1R but XE6 is still much more dynamic regardless of source.
That is true. But if the IER-Z1R sounds dynamic at louder volumes, in this specific scenario, its a source issue.

That other Earphone might sound more dynamic in general adds up to this issue.

Mar 18, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #11,645 of 15,335
That is true. But if the IER-Z1R sounds dynamic at louder volumes, in this specific scenario, its a source issue.

That other Earphone might sound more dynamic in general adds up to this issue.
It sounds like @daniel_hokkaido is looking for a more dynamic IEM rather than a new source though? I don’t think changing the source will ever get Z1R to the level of dynamics compared to something like XE6. It certainly won’t with WM1Z or TA-ZH1ES.

Mar 18, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #11,646 of 15,335
I've tried XE6, and for sure this is amazing iems, but if you need something more dynamic to complement z1r I suggest looking at something with a planar driver. I own Kennerton Rig CIEM and tried many planar iems like Dope Pure, 7Hz, IMR RAh and etc, and I can say that even the best TOTL Hybrid or 100500 armatures drivers IEM can't give you so clear amazing middle and extremely dynamic attacks and bass response as planar iems like RIg or Dope Pure can.
Having said that, I think someday I'll buy XE6 also but definitely not for dynamic fast music

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #11,647 of 15,335
hey all

Re capacitors topic I also have a chord mojo1 and used that for first 6 months of my ownership of Z1R. Hugo2 is leagues better (after brain burn in esp) ... I am also wondering am I misusing terminology with dynamics? At lower volumes the combo sounds just allround a smaller audio image with less depth and harder to hear the lower volume instruments in the mix. at higher volumes everything opens up and you can really begin to feel at the true center of the mix vs being at the periphery .

So I am wondering if I can attain a better listening experience on the above issue + get a more out of the head and superior soundstage experience with hugo2 + a better iem? As , as i said having a transportable setup i can lounge around the house with is pretty awesome. Plus if I were to go down the black hole of full size cans I'd next be eyeing the Hugo2 TT and Mscaler lol ... I want to try delay that until my 40th bday (36 now!)

I will definitely demo the fir audio products. my local dealer will hopefully have some demo units in store in the next months

Dan

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #11,648 of 15,335
I've tried XE6, and for sure this is amazing iems, but if you need something more dynamic to complement z1r I suggest looking at something with a planar driver. I own Kennerton Rig CIEM and tried many planar iems like Dope Pure, 7Hz, IMR RAh and etc, and I can say that even the best TOTL Hybrid or 100500 armatures drivers IEM can't give you so clear amazing middle and extremely dynamic attacks and bass response as planar iems like RIg or Dope Pure can.
Having said that, I think someday I'll buy XE6 also but definitely not for dynamic fast music
Hey nice to get your input there. single driver is definitely something I appreciate. like I am always in awe of how in phase these multi driver iems are but not sure at times if just throwing money at TOTL single driver iem would be a good shout too. I just don't want an open back one like audeze offerings. Not tried them yet too. I honestly didn't ever hear of these brands you mentioned also. I will check em out. I live in spain and not aware of any headfi groups here so not really able to demo that much gear save for what my dealer supersonido stocks. Which is pretty good for spain!

Did you try the audeze euclid?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #11,650 of 15,335
Thanks both of you for your precious answer. You have helped me.
I am not into cable, so no comments.
For tips, I bound Ortofon silicon tips and it fits tightly with my ears and I feel very comfortable for a longer listening session.

Mar 19, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #11,651 of 15,335
Hey nice to get your input there. single driver is definitely something I appreciate. like I am always in awe of how in phase these multi driver iems are but not sure at times if just throwing money at TOTL single driver iem would be a good shout too. I just don't want an open back one like audeze offerings. Not tried them yet too. I honestly didn't ever hear of these brands you mentioned also. I will check em out. I live in spain and not aware of any headfi groups here so not really able to demo that much gear save for what my dealer supersonido stocks. Which is pretty good for spain!

Did you try the audeze euclid?
hey Daniel, It's funny that once in this thread you said about Hugo 2 is very good with z1r and right after that I've bought it : ). Still pretty happy with this pair.
Regarding audeze, IMHO ofc- but even Tin hifi p1(quite cheap planar iem) are better than Euclids, they have really strange tunning.
All planar iems that I had mentioned before are closed iems, Kennerton is quite popular around the globe I can say at least they are presented in many US shops, but Dope is not a famous brand, unfortunately, but they do really good things with a quite affordable price. The main feature of their iems is scaling, people connect them to desktop systems and have quite impressive results. So far, the best portable source for them is iFi Diablo or Hugo 2 + tube AMP. So for dynamic, you should give them or Kennerton a shot.

Having said that, it looks like z1r going to be in my heart very long period :) And they worse extra things like a good silver cable that make them even better:)

Mar 20, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #11,652 of 15,335
hey Daniel, It's funny that once in this thread you said about Hugo 2 is very good with z1r and right after that I've bought it : ). Still pretty happy with this pair.
Regarding audeze, IMHO ofc- but even Tin hifi p1(quite cheap planar iem) are better than Euclids, they have really strange tunning.
All planar iems that I had mentioned before are closed iems, Kennerton is quite popular around the globe I can say at least they are presented in many US shops, but Dope is not a famous brand, unfortunately, but they do really good things with a quite affordable price. The main feature of their iems is scaling, people connect them to desktop systems and have quite impressive results. So far, the best portable source for them is iFi Diablo or Hugo 2 + tube AMP. So for dynamic, you should give them or Kennerton a shot.

Having said that, it looks like z1r going to be in my heart very long period :) And they worse extra things like a good silver cable that make them even better:)
ha cool dude glad you like the h2. do you use cross feed or the filters? I personally leave them all off ... I am using with nice moon audio coax and the xduoo digital out transport ... I will keep a look out for those iems. Cetainly the tubeless tech in the Fir audios and 64 audio + use of electro static driver is a big area of intrigue for me to try out the Xenon 6

Mar 20, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #11,654 of 15,335
The white line under the Sony is also wider on the fake cable by the looks of the photo
Well, that’s just a spectral highlight, but your right, it shows different material.

Mar 20, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #11,655 of 15,335
Amazing resale value for Z1R, $500 for Z1R NOT working!

Z1R.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back