SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 29, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #11,416 of 15,338
I removed the original one, and also had to clean the inside of the nozzle afterward because of leftover residue on the inside of the nozzle.

I will PM you.
Thank you

Jan 30, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #11,417 of 15,338
I recently looked into IEM again to see how things are and I was so impressed with what we have on the market today. I read around and started safe with the FiiO FA9 and I was hook pretty quick. It was the FA9 that convinced me to look further into IEM. I went out and try some other well reviewed models but I was not really amazed until I audition the IER-M9, and then today the IER-Z1R. I think only until now I found the true upgrade to my XBA-A3. And it's an end-game IEM for me at the same time, which is really convenient.

IER-Z1R (5).JPG
IER-Z1R (1).jpg
IER-Z1R (3).jpg
IER-Z1R (2).jpg
IER-Z1R (4).jpg

Jan 30, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #11,418 of 15,338
I recently looked into IEM again to see how things are and I was so impressed with what we have on the market today. I read around and started safe with the FiiO FA9 and I was hook pretty quick. It was the FA9 that convinced me to look further into IEM. I went out and try some other well reviewed models but I was not really amazed until I audition the IER-M9, and then today the IER-Z1R. I think only until now I found the true upgrade to my XBA-A3. And it's an end-game IEM for me at the same time, which is really convenient.

IER-Z1R (5).JPGIER-Z1R (1).jpgIER-Z1R (3).jpgIER-Z1R (2).jpgIER-Z1R (4).jpg
End game!

Jan 30, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #11,419 of 15,338
End game!
Yes it is. Now I feel much better for not considering the XBA-Z5 before (to quote my past-self: "it is only a little bit better than A3"). And then it became too late because Sony stopped selling those. I read about current options including the epic rhapsody on the Z1R you posted a few years ago and I don't think there is any other choice for me.

Jan 31, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #11,420 of 15,338
Yes it is. Now I feel much better for not considering the XBA-Z5 before (to quote my past-self: "it is only a little bit better than A3"). And then it became too late because Sony stopped selling those. I read about current options including the epic rhapsody on the Z1R you posted a few years ago and I don't think there is any other choice for me.
After a disappointing brief time with the Sennheiser IE80 the A3 brought me so much listening pleasure, which I took to the next level with the Z5. The Z5 with the Sony balanced non-Kimber cable sounded awesome but the horrendous design drove me nuts. I was initially put off the IER-Z1R with the pricing and frequent comments about size/fit issues but finally plucked up the courage to give a secondhand pair a go and can confidently say 'ENDGAME'.

*you're all welcome to throw this post in my face if you see me sidegrading.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #11,421 of 15,338

The XBA-Z5 is the center of a topic I'm now working on now. And it's interesting as it's great in it's own way............that said the IER is such a step forward. You (and even the makers) maybe didn't know at the time...............this new vibrance that could be achieved? I'm not sure anyone knew just 5 years later something like the IER would even exist?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #11,422 of 15,338
After a disappointing brief time with the Sennheiser IE80 the A3 brought me so much listening pleasure, which I took to the next level with the Z5. The Z5 with the Sony balanced non-Kimber cable sounded awesome but the horrendous design drove me nuts. I was initially put off the IER-Z1R with the pricing and frequent comments about size/fit issues but finally plucked up the courage to give a secondhand pair a go and can confidently say 'ENDGAME'.

*you're all welcome to throw this post in my face if you see me sidegrading.
I only found out about how the seem-so-small difference between the A3 and Z5 may affect the listening experience in a big way after the Z5 was discontinued, so that loss in on me. I recently auditioned both the IER-M7 and IER-M9 side by side and saw this effect first hand. And your comment on the A3 fitting is spot on. I always feel like wearing two thumbdrives on my ears hahaha. I didn't upgrade the A3 for so long because it just sounds good and good enough for me even when I have to rest every 2-3 hours listening.
And yes I can see that the Z1R as the end game IEM for me as well. So someone may quote both of us on these posts later LOL.

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #11,423 of 15,338
The XBA-Z5 is the center of a topic I'm now working on now. And it's interesting as it's great in it's own way............that said the IER is such a step forward. You (and even the makers) maybe didn't know at the time...............this new vibrance that could be achieved? I'm not sure anyone knew just 5 years later something like the IER would even exist?
I'm pretty sure I didn't know before. I was confident that I knew Sony's flagship sound before trying, so joke on me.

Even before trying the Z1R I didn't know what to expect. With the M9 on hand I was very skeptical that it could show me anything convincing. Turned out that it convinced not only me but also my wife that yes I should have both the M9 and the Z1R!. My wife is really into Sennheiser sound so I was surprised that she agreed on the Sony's, especially when she "meh"-ed on my A3/PHA-1A combo before.

In theory there may be a possible successor for the Z1R some time in the future which may make all of us wow like the jump from the Z5 to Z1R. I don't know what that will be as I can't imagine that clearly. Still, the most important thing for me now is that the Z1R standalone by itself is truly a flagship IEM, regardless of what kind of alternative options putting next to it.

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #11,424 of 15,338
I'm pretty sure I didn't know before. I was confident that I knew Sony's flagship sound before trying, so joke on me.

Even before trying the Z1R I didn't know what to expect. With the M9 on hand I was very skeptical that it could show me anything convincing. Turned out that it convinced not only me but also my wife that yes I should have both the M9 and the Z1R!. My wife is really into Sennheiser sound so I was surprised that she agreed on the Sony's, especially when she "meh"-ed on my A3/PHA-1A combo before.

In theory there may be a possible successor for the Z1R some time in the future which may make all of us wow like the jump from the Z5 to Z1R. I don't know what that will be as I can't imagine that clearly. Still, the most important thing for me now is that the Z1R standalone by itself is truly a flagship IEM, regardless of what kind of alternative options putting next to it.
Well, the other thing is it’s always been debated if the XBA-Z5 was truly supposed to be the flagship, or not. Being the name was XBA and all. The the IER line was a new step for Sony. I can only comment on the IEMs I’m familiar with. There is no denying the ergonomics of the XBA-Z5 suck. Though still it offers an amazing sound regardless of form factor. IMO Though I did kinda know after buying the XBA-N3 at Sony headquarters in Tokyo, that the new flagship would emulate many of it’s traits. And I was right, that putting the driver sideways and the whole XBA-Z5 arrangement was the last of an era. Funny too as some still think the N3 is better than the XBA-Z5, no matter what? Still I think a lot has to do with how you power the Z5. The Z5 never came with 4.4mm, but loved 4.4mm to bring it a great improvement! It doesn’t matter I think that the IER-Z1R came out in 2019. As it still offers a sound that’s special. People are still finding the IER-Z1R to offer a tone that they can’t find anywhere else.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #11,425 of 15,338
Well, the other thing is it’s always been debated if the XBA-Z5 was truly supposed to be the flagship, or not. Being the name was XBA and all. The the IER line was a new step for Sony. I can only comment on the IEMs I’m familiar with. There is no denying the ergonomics of the XBA-Z5 suck. Though still it offers an amazing sound regardless of form factor. IMO Though I did kinda know after buying the XBA-N3 at Sony headquarters in Tokyo, that the new flagship would emulate many of it’s traits. And I was right, that putting the driver sideways and the whole XBA-Z5 arrangement was the last of an era. Funny too as some still think the N3 is better than the XBA-Z5, no matter what? Still I think a lot has to do with how you power the Z5. The Z5 never came with 4.4mm, but loved 4.4mm to bring it a great improvement! It doesn’t matter I think that the IER-Z1R came out in 2019. As it still offers a sound that’s special. People are still finding the IER-Z1R to offer a tone that they can’t find anywhere else.
I think XBA just means extra bass so it may or may not reflect the flagship status. I agree that extra bass may sound like a cheap tuning these days. As I recall back when the Z5 was launch it was the most expensive and premium built IEM so I assumed it to be flagship, but I didn't look much into Sony highend products until recently so I may miss out something.
I can see as well why you predicted the new era of sound for Sony. I also have the N3 and it's a better tuned in-ear than the A3 for sure. It stills has the extra-bass tuning but the mid and treble are much more balance, especially the treble. It also fits much much better than A3/Z5 design. So of course it is very possible for people to like the N3 more. I don't know if it can truly be better than the Z5 though. Unlike the A3, there is something in the mid of the N3 that is still troubling me. It sounds fun but a tiny bit hollow and I'm trying to pin point the reason. Anyway as I didn't hear the Z5 I can't comment on that. It's only speculations based on my experience comparing the A3 and the N3.
Still, the A3/N3/Z5 all sound very different from the M9 and while I love the M9 sometimes do I love the other type of sound. The Z1R fixed that exact spot for me. That bass, that details, that sound stage puts me on the 9th cloud. I didn't expect that the Z1R is holding out so well (same thing for the 1Z).

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #11,426 of 15,338
I think XBA just means extra bass so it may or may not reflect the flagship status. I agree that extra bass may sound like a cheap tuning these days. As I recall back when the Z5 was launch it was the most expensive and premium built IEM so I assumed it to be flagship, but I didn't look much into Sony highend products until recently so I may miss out something.
I can see as well why you predicted the new era of sound for Sony. I also have the N3 and it's a better tuned in-ear than the A3 for sure. It stills has the extra-bass tuning but the mid and treble are much more balance, especially the treble. It also fits much much better than A3/Z5 design. So of course it is very possible for people to like the N3 more. I don't know if it can truly be better than the Z5 though. Unlike the A3, there is something in the mid of the N3 that is still troubling me. It sounds fun but a tiny bit hollow and I'm trying to pin point the reason. Anyway as I didn't hear the Z5 I can't comment on that. It's only speculations based on my experience comparing the A3 and the N3.
Still, the A3/N3/Z5 all sound very different from the M9 and while I love the M9 sometimes do I love the other type of sound. The Z1R fixed that exact spot for me. That bass, that details, that sound stage puts me on the 9th cloud. I didn't expect that the Z1R is holding out so well (same thing for the 1Z).
I think I saw recently in a translated (Japanese) interview with some Sony designers the XBA stood for something like 'extra balanced armature' but you wouldn't be blamed for thinking it was xtra bass.
After XBA fit issues, even with the N3, the M7 and M9 finally looked like the ideal design but after demoing them for a month while I was in Japan I just couldn't walk away from a dynamic driver bass. They didn't lack in bass, nor in quality bass but when comparing to the Z5's dynamic bass I just couldn't make the purchase. So while I praised Sony for finally making a better design I cursed them for making the IER-Z1R the hybrid, until a combination of secondhand pricing coming down and my budget going up allowed me to finally own them, ticking all the boxes, and finding complete satisfaction for fit and sound.

Jan 31, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #11,427 of 15,338
I think I saw recently in a translated (Japanese) interview with some Sony designers the XBA stood for something like 'extra balanced armature' but you wouldn't be blamed for thinking it was xtra bass.
After XBA fit issues, even with the N3, the M7 and M9 finally looked like the ideal design but after demoing them for a month while I was in Japan I just couldn't walk away from a dynamic driver bass. They didn't lack in bass, nor in quality bass but when comparing to the Z5's dynamic bass I just couldn't make the purchase. So while I praised Sony for finally making a better design I cursed them for making the IER-Z1R the hybrid, until a combination of secondhand pricing coming down and my budget going up allowed me to finally own them, ticking all the boxes, and finding complete satisfaction for fit and sound.
The Extra Bass was from the MDR-XB series released in 2009.

Full size MDR-XB700/500/300 and in ear MDR-XB40EX and MDR-XB20EX and they were bass cannons to the extreme

8B5841CA-2233-4E18-B678-921039933CD0.jpeg

Jan 31, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #11,428 of 15,338
The Extra Bass was from the MDR-XB series released in 2009.

Full size MDR-XB700/500/300 and in ear MDR-XB40EX and MDR-XB20EX and they were bass cannons to the extreme

Gosh, I remember listening to those at my very first Head-Fi meet in 2009. I though the extra bass would be good? The problem was the rest of the signature.........not enough detail. IMO

I did buy a used pair of Denon AH-D7000s that day though!

Jan 31, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #11,429 of 15,338
Gosh, I remember listening to those at my very first Head-Fi meet in 2009. I though the extra bass would be good? The problem was the rest of the signature.........not enough detail. IMO

I did buy a used pair of Denon AH-D7000s that day though!
I bought the D7000 secondhand in Japan but for years never really listened to them as I was sure they had a driver imbalance. I had intended to try them at e earphone but this was the week after the tsunami and things were a bit grim with the Fukushima issue so we left early and I had to buy them online before leaving. When I got my ZX300 and had made the switch to 4.4mm I was frustrated it didn't have a detachable cable so sold them with out ever getting to know them. The next trip I got the D5200 which were a more solid design and a nicer finish on the wood cups. I'm currently giving the D7200 a go, but from memory they are very different to the D7000.

Jan 31, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #11,430 of 15,338
Fukushima was crazy! I had some intellectual friends at the time that either I would go to their house or they would come over to mine, and spend 4 or 5 hours taking about that situation. It’s actually nice that I don’t think about Fukushima (anymore) and the strange plant mutations photographed! And...the plants were the least of there worries!

Yes, I have heard the AH-D7000 is different from the AH-D7200.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back