SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 26, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #11,401 of 15,336
If by mesh, you mean the foam?

If the foam is not visible and no longer in the tube, it may come in contact with components internally and alter the sound.

Sony has always used foam inside the nozzles to dampen the treble a bit as well.
Should I try to retrieve it somehow? It seems to have really been rolled inside the tube but I don't hear a sound difference

Jan 26, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #11,402 of 15,336
Right now I'm slightly confused with all that balanced/unbalanced direction theme and better ask before wasting money or even damage anything.
The plan is to use a Sony IER with the 4.4mm balanced cable and sometimes in combination with the smartphone, so is these DJ44C the right adapter or the forbidden way ?
No that will be fine. It's the other way that you're going to have problems (going from a 3.5mm female to a 2.5/4.4 balanced male adapter).

Jan 26, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #11,403 of 15,336
Right now I'm slightly confused with all that balanced/unbalanced direction theme and better ask before wasting money or even damage anything.
The plan is to use a Sony IER with the 4.4mm balanced cable and sometimes in combination with the smartphone (3.5mm jack), so is these DJ44C the right adapter or the forbidden way ?
Yes you want the DJ44C that has 4.4 female input and 3.5 male output.

https://www.amazon.com/DD-DJ44C-Headphone-Converter-Amplifier/dp/B0922VY6FB

Jan 26, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #11,404 of 15,336
The plan is to use a Sony IER with the 4.4mm balanced cable and sometimes in combination with the smartphone (3.5mm jack), so is these DJ44C the right adapter or the forbidden way ?
thats what i use all the time with unbalanced sources

Jan 26, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #11,405 of 15,336
Yes that's fine

Jan 26, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #11,406 of 15,336
Should I try to retrieve it somehow? It seems to have really been rolled inside the tube but I don't hear a sound difference
You might want to search the thread as there may be photos as someone I think experimented with different custom foam.
From memory it is like the XBA-Z5, I bought a secondhand pair that had one foam sunken in which was easily retrieved with a needle. I think there is a fair amount of space between the nozzle tip and drivers although you will still want to take care. Can you hold your phone led light close to the nozzle to see it? It's just a simple thin cylinder of foam that has a small cap that perhaps prevents wax from being absorbed.
It might be that even though it's not in position the presence of it is still absorbing the treble so it's not so obvious?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #11,407 of 15,336
But can tou see it when you shine a light such as flashlight or your phone’s LED Flash?

Jan 27, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #11,408 of 15,336
There are three frequency response curves:

The actual response
The measured response
The user perceived response

Same as technicalities:

The if someday possible measured response
The user perceived response
The actual response
This is actually a very important fact for those that refer to graphs in researching or evaluating iems. The ramifications being, even if you were to somehow accurately measure what the actual response is, the user perceived FR (in tandem with unique ear canal geometry) is altogether another significant factor.

Jan 28, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #11,409 of 15,336
But can tou see it when you shine a light such as flashlight or your phone’s LED Flash?
I don't believe I can. Thought maybe I'd try fine tweezers. Should I just let it alone if the sound is unchanged or will it fill up with wax?

Jan 28, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #11,410 of 15,336
I don't believe I can. Thought maybe I'd try fine tweezers. Should I just let it alone if the sound is unchanged or will it fill up with wax?
Id say let it be… if you camt see it better not to risk damaging it in the process. With regular cleaning ahould not fill with wax

Jan 28, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #11,411 of 15,336
You might want to search the thread as there may be photos as someone I think experimented with different custom foam.
From memory it is like the XBA-Z5, I bought a secondhand pair that had one foam sunken in which was easily retrieved with a needle. I think there is a fair amount of space between the nozzle tip and drivers although you will still want to take care. Can you hold your phone led light close to the nozzle to see it? It's just a simple thin cylinder of foam that has a small cap that perhaps prevents wax from being absorbed.
It might be that even though it's not in position the presence of it is still absorbing the treble so it's not so obvious?

I have the custom foams, low-density ones, 4mm inner diameter iirc.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #11,412 of 15,336
Hey guys, as I was cleaning one of the monitors with a wax cleaning tool, 1⃣ of the mesh that covers the tube kinda collapsed inwards. Can't see it anymore. Would that be an issue down the road? Should I try to extract it somehow?

Be careful with it, as it can be quite flimsy. Get ready to replace them in case they get damaged.

Jan 28, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #11,413 of 15,336
Be careful with it, as it can be quite flimsy. Get ready to replace them in case they get damaged.
Do you just aquire a new one and insert it in or would the original one need to be removed somehow?

Jan 29, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #11,415 of 15,336
Do you just aquire a new one and insert it in or would the original one need to be removed somehow?

I removed the original one, and also had to clean the inside of the nozzle afterward because of leftover residue on the inside of the nozzle.

Where would I be able to buy one like that?

Thank you

I will PM you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back