SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 30, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #11,101 of 15,280
I couldn’t disagree more. Sure they sound great on those genres but just because they reproduce bass and sub bass accurately doesn’t mean they are tinting the music any shade. I choose to enjoy Jazz and Blues exclusively on them, even though my Valhalla is warming them up even further. I spend a lot of time in historic jazz and blues clubs, and the Z1Rs recreate the space so beautifully, widely, deeply… they have ruined my Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless (in wired mode), WF-1000XM4s, Pi7, C5 Series 2, Simgot EK3, and others that just feel flat, shallow, or claustrophobic by comparison. Only my MDR-7 have a better soundstage, but they are minor league sound at this table
Fully agree with you - prefer Z1R with jazz over using it for electronic music. There is something in its languid reproduction which is superb.

Oct 30, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #11,102 of 15,280
Whew, using orange hybrid tips so I can actually shove the Z1R deep in my ear... Fixed my only problem with its tuning, some sibilance on some of my favorite Jpop is all.... Gone!

The mids is perfect for me now, heck it even contend well with my favorite Audio Technica for female vocal tuning.
Crinacle is so right.

Oct 30, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #11,103 of 15,280
what's a good desktop amp for the z1r? I just got the z1r's and love em, but my Schiit stack doesn't match their premium quality :).. I guess I'm a sucker for great build quality. I also care about having a lot of room for volume adjustment, so nothing too powerful. One option I've been considering was the ifi micrso idsd signature
What Schiit do you have? My A3 and Jot2 both deliver the goods with the Z1R, build quality is more than acceptable imho.

Not sure what you mean by that tbh.
You also want a DAC, like the one built into the ifi micrso idsd signature? Is battery powered important?

Oct 30, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #11,104 of 15,280
You also want a DAC, like the one built into the ifi micrso idsd signature? Is battery powered important?
I have a preference for all-in-ones to save on desk space, but being portable is not important. I was also considering the RME ADI-DAC 2

To clarify on "room for volume adjustment" - I just mean not having to max out my knob at 11 A.M.
I like having a wide range of acceptable volumes with knobs

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #11,105 of 15,280
I have a preference for all-in-ones to save on desk space, but being portable is not important. I was also considering the RME ADI-DAC 2

To clarify on "room for volume adjustment" - I just mean not having to max out my knob at 11 A.M.
I like having a wide range of acceptable volumes with knobs
Oh, the RME ADI-DAC 2 is also an amp, not just a DAC? I was impressed with the RME ADI-DAC's 2 features since it includes a parametric equalizer, but decided to use the DAC in my player Line Out to a Topping A90 headphone amp. Had I wanted a separate DAC, I might have added the Topping D90 DAC as a mini stack, or gone for the combination Topping DX7 Pro DAC/Amp. I'm not knowledgeable of any others. If you determine that the RME ADI-DAC 2 is also an amp, tell me! :)

Oct 30, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #11,106 of 15,280
Oh, the RME ADI-DAC 2 is also an amp, not just a DAC? I was impressed with the RME ADI-DAC's 2 features since it includes a parametric equalizer, but decided to use the DAC in my player Line Out to a Topping A90 headphone amp. Had I wanted a separate DAC, I might have added the Topping D90 DAC as a mini stack, or gone for the combination Topping DX7 Pro DAC/Amp. I'm not knowledgeable of any others. If you determine that the RME ADI-DAC 2 is also an amp, tell me! :)
Yep, RME ADI-2 DAC is both a DAC and a headphone amplifier, a very good one at that too!

Oct 30, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #11,107 of 15,280
How about Z1r listening classical and western pop and rock music (mostly american)?

Oct 30, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #11,108 of 15,280
Yep, RME ADI-2 DAC is both a DAC and a headphone amplifier, a very good one at that too!
Whoa. Reappraisal in progress. :wink: I can't speak to the power, bythewaybay, since I didn't know it was also an amp. But no question about the quality, IMO. Good hunting.
what's a good desktop amp for the z1r? I just got the z1r's and love em, but my Schiit stack doesn't match their premium quality :).. I guess I'm a sucker for great build quality. I also care about having a lot of room for volume adjustment, so nothing too powerful. One option I've been considering was the ifi micrso idsd signature

Oct 30, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #11,109 of 15,280
My favourite pairing is with the TA-ZH1ES, my WM1A sounds very good but the TA offers another level with bass presentation and staging.
The RME ADI-2 is excellent but at the time I owned it I only had the MDR-Z1R and I didn't feel anything special with them so aimed for the TA, it may be perfect with the IER though.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #11,110 of 15,280
My favourite pairing is with the TA-ZH1ES, my WM1A sounds very good by the TA offers another level with bass and staging.
The RME ADI-2 is excellent but at the time I owned it I only had the MDR-Z1R and I didn't feel anything special with them so aimed for the TA, it may be perfect with the IER though.
I have the TAZ & IER and it’s a wonderful synergy

Oct 30, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #11,111 of 15,280
image0.jpg

After listening to both, I gotta say the Z1R is just my type of IEM. I feel like I'm getting flooded with detail on the U12Ts, it's not bad, it's quite amazing honestly. Though for me, it is a bit hard to have things playing in the background and zone out with them, it's very much an engaging IEM. But sheesh, the Z1R just hits my tonal preference, its imaging and fullness make my listening experience that much better. The sound is never fatiguing and I can probably wear them for hours.

Sidenote:
While my time with the U12T, I forgot to clean my Z1Rs. While cleaning, I pushed the foam filter pretty deep to the driver and can't seem to bring it back up the shaft lol (probably like 5mm deep, vs 2mm). It should still be okay tonally right...? Only a few mm difference right.......? Ugh.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #11,112 of 15,280
image0.jpg

After listening to both, I gotta say the Z1R is just my type of IEM. I feel like I'm getting flooded with detail on the U12Ts, it's not bad, it's quite amazing honestly. Though for me, it is a bit hard to have things playing in the background and zone out with them, it's very much an engaging IEM. But sheesh, the Z1R just hits my tonal preference, its imaging and fullness make my listening experience that much better. The sound is never fatiguing and I can probably wear them for hours.

Sidenote:
While my time with the U12T, I forgot to clean my Z1Rs. While cleaning, I pushed the foam filter pretty deep to the driver and can't seem to bring it back up the shaft lol (probably like 5mm deep, vs 2mm). It should still be okay tonally right...? Only a few mm difference right.......? Ugh.
What a timing! I tested U12T yesterday, my not so technical review here:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-ier-z1r.23390/reviews#review-27159

Oct 31, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #11,113 of 15,280
image0.jpg

Sidenote:
This is my setup. :ksc75smile: The U12ts are my away-from-home IEM since they're lighter and more battery friendly, and the Sony's reside next to the recliner on a headphone amp. I enjoy the sounds from the two very different designs but, oh, if the U12ts only had the spaciousness of the Z1Rs. It appears you have the MX module in the U12t which, in my mind, would make the U12t very thin sounding bass-wise compared with the Sony. Tried the others? I've settled on the FIR 17 ATOM XL module, although neither it or the M20 module will provide the sub-bass of the Sony. If I never left the house I'd likely keep just the Sonys.

Oct 31, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #11,114 of 15,280
This is my setup. :ksc75smile: The U12ts are my away-from-home IEM since they're lighter and more battery friendly, and the Sony's reside next to the recliner on a headphone amp. I enjoy the sounds from the two very different designs but, oh, if the U12ts only had the spaciousness of the Z1Rs. It appears you have the MX module in the U12t which, in my mind, would make the U12t very thin sounding bass-wise compared with the Sony. Tried the others? I've settled on the FIR 17 ATOM XL module, although neither it or the M20 module will provide the sub-bass of the Sony. If I never left the house I'd likely keep just the Sonys.
I used the m15 for the photos, m20 for my listening! Funny enough, I have more fit issues with the U12T vs the Z1R. But yeah, agreed! I always end up going back to the Sony's after the several IEMS I've tried. The one that had me split was the Variations. from Moondrop.

Oct 31, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #11,115 of 15,280
I used the m15 for the photos, m20 for my listening! Funny enough, I have more fit issues with the U12T vs the Z1R. But yeah, agreed! I always end up going back to the Sony's after the several IEMS I've tried. The one that had me split was the Variations. from Moondrop.
Ah, sorry for the misidentification of the module: the photo, my screen. Sure makes sense you'd like the M20 for listening, but that just makes the U12t even less spacious, IMO, making it hard to compete with the Sony. Just very different IEMs. I'm intrigued you like the Moondrop Variations; I take that as a thumbs up for a more budget IEM, like if one of my kids ever got into serious listening. I started with the Moondrop Blessing 2: Dusk, and do appreciate that company. :thumbsup: Some might be interested to know what tips you use, seeing as how the Sonys feel more comfortable to you. I'm a custom tip person, myself, having got worn out buying and trying so many universal tips. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back