SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 26, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #11,056 of 15,280
I think the bass over power the other aspects of the music I'm listening to.
Perfect example of this is Chris Botti's - Lisa (from the Night Session
Album). The Bass in the beginning is no high that I can hardly enjoy the
Trumpet. The IER-Z1R are amazing for Rap, RNB and LoFi. But they suffer they
are used to listen to music that bass is not the focal point of the music,
IE Classical, Jazz and some Vocal. The best no audiophile explanation I can
provide is. Think of going to concert and the bass and the drummers audio
feed is turned up higher than the mic for the vocal and the other
instrument. I can hear everything but you're not going to enjoy the other
parts of the music as much.

They are a keeper for me though. This is just my 2cents
Thank you for this. I’m dismayed by the current IEM market.

Oct 26, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #11,057 of 15,280
Thank you for this. I’m dismayed by the current IEM market.

My IEM are for traveling but I have some full size for home use

Attachments

• 37F6045B-0DC8-4D44-93A8-9DBBFEA3CE9B.jpeg
    37F6045B-0DC8-4D44-93A8-9DBBFEA3CE9B.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Oct 26, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #11,058 of 15,280
Sony WM 1A or Ibasso DX300 for de IEM Z1R ??
+1

curious about DX300 as well. I have WM1A but I like to have the streaming feature as well.
I don't stream except to check out music before I buy, but I've grown fond of the DX300's Android OS, wifi, and large screen. It's a player of these times, whereas the WM1A is 4 years old. Over the Air updates are a snap, and being able to stream on the same device is convenient to me. But, more crucially, one can download and run other android music playing apps, such as UAPP and Neutron, that can overcome certain limitations of the native music player (more comprehensive EQ and DSP, for one). For all this, the DX300 has excellent battery life. Also, interchangeable amps if one wants to tweak music signatures. My DX312 is just a way to say that I have the DX300 and the optional amp12 card , which I've inserted in place of the also excellent stock amp11. More amp cards are likely on the way from iBasso, providing different features and sound signatures. As for how the DX300 sounds with the IER-Z1R, well, it's marvelous IMO, although I can't compare. And with good EQ and parametric EQ, even with the stock Mango music player, one can always flavor to taste. Or change amp cards. :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #11,059 of 15,280
Oct 26, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #11,060 of 15,280
I don't stream except to check out music before I buy, but I've grown fond of the DX300's Android OS, wifi, and large screen. It's a player of these times, whereas the WM1A is 4 years old. Over the Air updates are a snap, and being able to stream on the same device is convenient to me. But, more crucially, one can download and run other android music playing apps, such as UAPP and Neutron, that can overcome certain limitations of the native music player (more comprehensive EQ and DSP, for one). For all this, the DX300 has excellent battery life. Also, interchangeable amps if one wants to tweak music signatures. My DX312 is just a way to say that I have the DX300 and the optional amp12 card , which I've inserted in place of the also excellent stock amp11. More amp cards are likely on the way from iBasso, providing different features and sound signatures. As for how the DX300 sounds with the IER-Z1R, well, it's marvelous IMO, although I can't compare. And with good EQ and parametric EQ, even with the stock Mango music player, one can always flavor to taste. Or change amp cards. :gs1000smile:
I’m sold!

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #11,061 of 15,280
In what way are you dismayed ?
When you consider the high end market of in ear monitors, most have tuning issues that become especially apparent in certain genres. For example, the flagships from JH Audio, 64 Audio, Empire Ears, Sony etc. have bass that overwhelms the frequency range. I had hoped to test and purchase the IER-Z1R but @blackwolf1006‘s post confirms it’s more of the same. And I value his input given he owns the Focal Utopia which I find to have near perfect tuning.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #11,062 of 15,280
When you consider the high end market of in ear monitors, most have tuning issues that become especially apparent in certain genres. For example, the flagships from JH Audio, 64 Audio, Empire Ears, Sony etc. have bass that overwhelms the frequency range. I had hoped to test and purchase the IER-Z1R but @blackwolf1006‘s post confirms it’s more of the same. And I value his input given he owns the Focal Utopia which I find to have near perfect tuning.
OK. I have a 10 year old JH13 ciem and the Sony IER-Z1R and with the Sony 1Z or Sony TA as source/amp I don’t find that the bass from either overwhelms any other frequencies

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #11,063 of 15,280
OK. I have a 10 year old JH13 ciem and the Sony IER-Z1R and with the Sony 1Z or Sony TA as source/amp I don’t find that the bass from either overwhelms any other frequencies
And that very well may be true for your preferences, hearing, fit, the ways you perceive sound, and the genres you listen to.

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #11,064 of 15,280
That's one input. Maybe I'm a review junkie, but I read everything I can get my eyes on before making a decision. :wink: A test is certainly a great idea.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #11,066 of 15,280
I would always recommend demoing something like the IER Z1R to see if they are for you.

For me they are quite unique and still relevant in 2021 and easily one of the top 10 best IEM's available esp when you consider what you can now pick a used example up for.

Just joined this thread, because ... well, see below ... :sunglasses:

Just started listening to them but upon first listen I would agree with your statement. The fit is challenging but I think I've got it figured out. :)

2021-10-26 17.02.24.jpg

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #11,068 of 15,280
Agree. Most also depends on mastering. But with good mastered material i dont find that the bass overpowers any of the frequencies in mids and highs.
image.jpg
And most classical musicians are too snobby peopke having the most premium HP and theyre biased

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #11,069 of 15,280
And that very well may be true for your preferences, hearing, fit, the ways you perceive sound, and the genres you listen to.
Better demo them or biy some from Amazon and if uou dont like just return them. Lso woth more power they do scalr well but aint fair Utopia vs Z1R. Orchewtra has nice accurate sound from Mw WM1A.

From ibasso DX300 with amp 11 v1 they strings from a bew recording sounded like old recording. I dont know what is for you “accurate sound”

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #11,070 of 15,280
Just joined this thread, because ... well, see below ... :sunglasses:

Just started listening to them but upon first listen I would agree with your statement. The fit is challenging but I think I've got it figured out. :)

2021-10-26 17.02.24.jpg
That combo looks awesome. Ive been considering a cable upgrade for these myself but it would need to be something not too expensive.

Anything above 1K and I would prefer to buy another IEM to add to my collection or put the 1K towards a DAP in the future (N8ii?)

Agree the fit can be challenging but definitely worth persevering with :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back