SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 16, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #10,741 of 15,280
No, the characteristics of Z1R remains. And put in a elegant and controlled presentation manner. The stock cable is too rough.

MAYBE IT'S JUST ME x 1000000.............I can't find any elegance in the combo but as always YMMV. CAVEAT is I don't own the PPH8 I tried on and it was only like 5-6 hours of listening time (I had the loaner with me for two days and was exclusively plugged into my Z1R), so you probably spent way more time on it than I did. I wanted to like it (so that I could get one and scratch the new cable itch), but was far from convinced. The signature of Z1R signified by the truly beautiful highs, which set it apart from the others and made it a class of its own, was all gone. Besides the highs, the mids were also way less refined and resolving than stock, and contains too many artifacts to be considered natural and realistic and timbre-correct. That was my impressions and my sources during my trial were the 3 Sony siblings: WM1Z, WM1A and ZX507 (so maybe it's the Sony matching Sony thing after all?), music used were roughly 30% classical orchestral with prominent strings, and 70% high-res Japanese pop/rock. On the other hand, the Tri-Hybrid, which I wasn't really interested in acquiring at the time, gave me a nicer surprise, so I ended up giving it a few more spins.

What I can certainly say the stock cable renders a extremely refined AND well defined performance. When I say it's insanely good in my signature the PPH8 was one cable that I had in mind that was IMO coolly bested by the stock by a not-so-small margin, as it was one candidate that had once been in prime position to oust the stock as I was seriously interested to try and acquire one back then.

YMMV X 1000000 and actually I have many PPH admires amongst my friends, and I did experience fairly decent performance when it was paired with other iems (most recently have tried my friend's combo with FiR M5 and it made the M5 sounded more likeable than the few M5 combos I have tried before). To me the PPH is not a good match with the Z1R, but it may be a more versatile cable than the Z1R stock cable when paired with other iems - I have not tried Z1R stock cable with anything else other than a brief listen with my Just Ear.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #10,742 of 15,280
MAYBE IT'S JUST ME x 1000000.............I can't find any elegance in the combo but as always YMMV. CAVEAT is I don't own the PPH8 I tried on and it was only like 5-6 hours of listening time (I had the loaner with me for two days and was exclusively plugged into my Z1R), so you probably spent way more time on it than I did. I wanted to like it (so that I could get one and scratch the new cable itch), but was far from convinced. The signature of Z1R signified by the truly beautiful highs, which set it apart from the others and made it a class of its own, was all gone. Besides the highs, the mids were also way less refined and resolving than stock, and contains too many artifacts to be considered natural and realistic and timbre-correct. That was my impressions and my sources during my trial were the 3 Sony siblings: WM1Z, WM1A and ZX507 (so maybe it's the Sony matching Sony thing after all?), music used were roughly 30% classical orchestral with prominent strings, and 70% high-res Japanese pop/rock. On the other hand, the Tri-Hybrid, which I wasn't really interested in acquiring at the time, gave me a nicer surprise, so I ended up giving it a few more spins.

What I can certainly say the stock cable renders a extremely refined AND well defined performance. When I say it's insanely good in my signature the PPH8 was one cable that I had in mind that was IMO coolly bested by the stock by a not-so-small margin, as it was one candidate that had once been in prime position to oust the stock as I was seriously interested to try and acquire one back then.

YMMV X 1000000 and actually I have many PPH admires amongst my friends, and I did experience fairly decent performance when it was paired with other iems (most recently have tried my friend's combo with FiR M5 and it made the M5 sounded more likeable than the few M5 combos I have tried before). To me the PPH is not a good match with the Z1R, but it may be a more versatile cable than the Z1R stock cable when paired with other iems - I have not tried Z1R stock cable with anything else other than a brief listen with my Just Ear.
My friend also has IER-Z1R. He also has WM1A and TA-ZH1ES. My player is Fiio M15. I have tried his Sonys at his home. If Fiio can bring 85% of Z1R potential into play, WM1A and TA-ZH1ES max is about 60% to 70%. Both of them are good at the time they launched. But not now.

My friend also finds the stock cable rough and harsh and he ends up upgraded to Sony's own Kimber (The max he can due to financial).

The stock cable, just like the TVs sitting at electric stores running in demo mode. They want to catch your eyes as fast as possible and the color and contrast is too exaggerated. They stock cable is what Sony wants you to know the Z1R is different than others as fast as possible when you demo it in store.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #10,743 of 15,280
My friend also has IER-Z1R. He also has WM1A and TA-ZH1ES. My player is Fiio M15. I have tried his Sonys at his home. If Fiio can bring 85% of Z1R potential into play, WM1A and TA-ZH1ES max is about 60% to 70%. Both of them are good at the time they launched. But not now.

My friend also finds the stock cable rough and harsh and he ends up upgraded to Sony's own Kimber (The max he can due to financial).
In my experience owning the TA-ZH1ES and 1A, the TA-ZH1ES is maybe even 10% better than the 1A? But.....if you concentrate on the low end soundstage and bass texture it can start to seem like more? But they are really not exactly the same. I (as well as others) have actually found the Kimber to be below the stock 4.4mm?

Aug 16, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #10,744 of 15,280
In my experience owning the TA-ZH1ES and 1A, the TA-ZH1ES is maybe even 10% better than the 1A? But.....if you concentrate on the low end soundstage and bass texture it can start to seem like more? But they are really not exactly the same. I (as well as others) have actually found the Kimber to be below the stock 4.4mm?
When compared to Fiio, both Sonys differences become insignificant immediately.

Aug 16, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #10,745 of 15,280
When compared to Fiio, both Sonys differences become insignificant immediately.
The Sony MUC-M12SB1 Kimber seemed not as refined but close to stock 4.4mm? The TA has more power than the Walkman, but it only changed things slightly. That’s 1.03 firmware in the TA and Midnight and J Region in the Walkman. I did try the M11 but not with the Sony IER-Z1R?

Aug 16, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #10,747 of 15,280
Well, it goes to duty on the XBA-Z5 in my use. But I purchased it for the IER-Z1R? As the MDR-Z1R is great with the Kimber? I’m sure it does smooth the highs out a little on the IER-Z1R? It may have been a smoothing that I wasn’t into when I tried the combo? I burned both in for about 200 hours and tried to make it work?
My friend's Sonys are all stock. He is very sensitive to harsh highs that's why he use Kimber. I didn't listen to the Kimber but definitely I can guess the airness and highs all gone with the Kimber.

Aug 19, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #10,748 of 15,280
My friend's Sonys are all stock. He is very sensitive to harsh highs that's why he use Kimber. I didn't listen to the Kimber but definitely I can guess the airness and highs all gone with the Kimber.

Absolutely, I have the Kimber and although it isn't exactly expensive it is one of the hundreds of purchases in the head-fi world that I regret the most. Extension on both ends (yes not just highs) are truncated to the point of sounding funny.

Aug 20, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #10,751 of 15,280
Just joined the IER-Z1R club - I've been listening to them for a few hours (iPad Pro -> mojo) and they sound amazing. ...tried some tips I had lying around: SpinFit CP-100 were the most comfortable but they seem to cut base extension, Spiral Dot FX9 seemed OK. Anyway, I'm back to the original tips and decided to just enjoy the Z1R and worry about other things later :ksc75smile:

IMG_0540.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #10,752 of 15,280
Just joined the IER-Z1R club - I've been listening to them for a few hours (iPad Pro -> mojo) and they sound amazing. ...tried some tips I had lying around: SpinFit CP-100 were the most comfortable but they seem to cut base extension, Spiral Dot FX9 seemed OK. Anyway, I'm back to the original tips and decided to just enjoy the Z1R and worry other things later :ksc75smile:

IMG_0540.jpg
Welcome!

Aug 21, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #10,754 of 15,280
The stock cable is fine.
Yes the stock cable is very good. The Dunu Blanche does improve the sound marginally and I like it better around the ear and the swappable tips is very convenient so I dont have to swap cables or have pig tails

Aug 21, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #10,755 of 15,280
IER-Z1R with the new tricomfort WF-1000XM4 foamy ear tips. Game over

Over the stock tricomfort: 3x passive noise cancellation, 2x clarity, 5x the fit, 10x the staying power inside your ear. No more discomfort or fidgeting. Not annoying or pressurized as if you’re underwater like the comply.

You’re welcome

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back