SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 8, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #10,171 of 15,432
I like Paw S1 sound than WM1A which lead me to Paw6k & LPGT.
I have not try WM1A custom firmware through....
I like the S1 sound and it is leading me to the LP6K. How is the sound quality?

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #10,172 of 15,432
For me the 1A Sounds great with Ier-z1R
image.jpg

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #10,173 of 15,432
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/bikeboy88.476424/

Most of us who have have or had the TA/1A or 1Z will vary in opinion of what is best. The 1A is that good, actually it may be the best of the three at times. The crazy part was all of this was unexpected. Meaning before the destination tool and firmware we had to use what we were given. Now the future has us believe that Sony used firmware to actually stifle the 1A. So what you achieve now is a way of using any piece of gear as a way to listen to a different tone. Now none of the TA, 1Z or 1A is maybe better than one another? The soundstage will open-up and it will be filled with bass character. You may not have quite the treble expansion of the 1Z, but it will be thrilling none the less. The TA always has slightly better imaging but really it’s a wash. The 1A is that good now!

To tell you the truth, I actually don’t care what I listen to. It doesn’t matter, the 1A sound every bit as good as the 1Z or TA desktop. Some actually like it the very best. Though it probably depends on what IEM you use? Well, maybe the 1Z is slightly better, but you get the message.

Congratulations on your purchase, don’t worry..... you won’t believe how good it will be!

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #10,175 of 15,432

Most of us who have have or had the TA/1A or 1Z will vary in opinion of what is best. The 1A is that good, actually it may be the best of the three at times. The crazy part was all of this was unexpected. Meaning before the destination tool and firmware we had to use what we were given. Now the future has us believe that Sony used firmware to actually stifle the 1A. So what you achieve now is a way of using any piece of gear as a way to listen to a different tone. Now none of the TA, 1Z or 1A is maybe better than one another? The soundstage will open-up and it will be filled with bass character. You may not have quite the treble expansion of the 1Z, but it will be thrilling none the less. The TA always has slightly better imaging but really it’s a wash. The 1A is that good now!

To tell you the truth, I actually don’t care what I listen to. It doesn’t matter, the 1A sound every bit as good as the 1Z or TA desktop. Some actually like it the very best. Though it probably depends on what IEM you use? Well, maybe the 1Z is slightly better, but you get the message.

Congratulations on your purchase, don’t worry..... you won’t believe how good it will be!
Man, I cannot wait for my 1A to arrive, it's going to be so much fun....

Apr 8, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #10,176 of 15,432
The 1A is amazing with the IER-Z1R. It is a little underwhelming at first but very very different after burn in. Also it’s actually 400 hours as 200 for 3.5mm and an additional 200 for 4.4mm. After that you may want to try Midnight or Midnight Plus or Dawn as a way of boosting the performance and additional massive amount. After you have understood what is possible with regular firmware then an additional boost in detail as well as soundstage maybe will be in order? Though note there will be slightly more use In battery performance. Are you at 3.02 now? The next thing would be the destination change.

Let me put it this way......I purchased the 1Z before the 1A and just purchased the 1A as I was curious. At the start I had 1000 hours on the 1Z and 100 hours on the 1A. I disliked the 1A. The 1A was too thin and was all midrange. Later I started putting more hours on the 1Z, and due to aftermarket firmware fell totally in love with the 1A.

The 1A has so much potential, it’s scary. Now I have both player on destination “J” and it’s great. The destination will allow your player to become warmer. Later after firmware updates I had a choice of the 1A or the 1Z.

Guess what? I went to town using the 1A. So much that now I have 1500 hours on the 1A. I also have slightly over 1500 hours on the 1Z too. The fact that they are still very different players but the firmware makes each have it’s own personality.

You can find the 1A to be almost as good as the 1Z. The 1Z (even with the same destination and Midnight Plus) will have a slightly bigger bass, actually a round bass. Where the cool part about the 1A is the midrange. My gosh what a midrange. In so many ways the 1A midrange is better than the 1Z. So it allows you to actually have two different ways to hear music. Don’t worry! Your in for a spectacular ride. Basically you haven’t heard nothing yet!

Cheers!

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-os-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/
I second this based on my experiences currently owning both devices as well. Who knows? Maybe the DMP can become a reality?

Apr 8, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #10,177 of 15,432
I like the S1 sound and it is leading me to the LP6K. How is the sound quality?
I tested S1 few times before I bought a PAW6k.

Lotoo has its unique house sound that suit my taste.

If I can quantify the sound quality...S1 has about 70% of PAW6k. It's more about enjoy music type than analytics type.

And, I like PAW6k with z1r but I don't like it pairing with EE Odin.

Apr 8, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #10,178 of 15,432
hmm...I wonder how all the new flagship DAP fare against Sony's A1/Z with custom FW :thinking:
I recently bought a A&K Kann Alpha and a Centrance M8V2 due to WM1A sometimes lacking of power to move fully the Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas or Sony Z7M2 (mainly for DSD issues) ... It's just amazing how good is the WM1A with M Walkman latest firmware (Classic mode) with all flac files.

With the IER-Z1R ... I prefer the musicality of WM1A (with cust Firmware) over the M8V2 and the M8V2 over the Kann Alpha.... but, because of some convenient features (DLNA rendering, upnp server access and Qobuz), I prefer to use every day the Kann Alpha over the WM1A.

I would have like a real line out from the WM1A, and would like a far more compact portable amp like Cayin C9 to use it with the WM1A.

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #10,179 of 15,432
Man, I cannot wait for my 1A to arrive, it's going to be so much fun....
Unfortunately I don’t actually have a bunch of experience with other DAPs for comparison. I’ve only been inside of the Sony universe. But back in the day (the old Walkman thead) there were others that would do many side by side comparisons, and Sony still notched ahead? Then MrWalkman showed up and blew us all alway, taking this to even a new level. You will have to use patience, as 200 hours for 4.4mm is a long time! But do go through the hassle of changing the destination (as that is where a big part of the warmth comes from) and do attempt to use the firmwares. The sound signature completely (360 degee) changes, it’s not a subtle thing at all. Bass is totally improved, the soundstage expands out, the treble moves into a holographic style and everything is pulled into focus, as far as detail! Also it is hard to go wrong with a firmware choice. Though too after a while you may blow past a couple firmwares, where you’ll adapt and it will become just slightly lackluster but then you finally land on one that you’ll live with day in and day out. The best part is hearing old favorites in a new and improved fashion, seemingly the same way you have always heard them except with this bigger soundstage and tactile presence that has you question if this is all you’ll ever need...ever.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #10,180 of 15,432
I recently bought a A&K Kann Alpha and a Centrance M8V2 due to WM1A sometimes lacking of power to move fully the Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas or Sony Z7M2 (mainly for DSD issues) ... It's just amazing how good is the WM1A with M Walkman latest firmware (Classic mode) with all flac files.

With the IER-Z1R ... I prefer the musicality of WM1A (with cust Firmware) over the M8V2 and the M8V2 over the Kann Alpha.... but, because of some convenient features (DLNA rendering, upnp server access and Qobuz), I prefer to use every day the Kann Alpha over the WM1A.

I would have like a real line out from the WM1A, and would like a far more compact portable amp like Cayin C9 to use it with the WM1A.
Oh man...I used to do streaming with NAS (or OpenVPN if outside) but ever since I got a great deal on a 1TB microSD card, I just save everything there and transfer it between devices if needed. Now it just stays with the ZX300.

Unfortunately I don’t actually have a bunch of experience with other DAPs for comparison. I’ve only been inside of the Sony universe. But back in the day (the old Walkman thead) there were others that would do many side by side comparisons, and Sony still notched ahead? Then MrWalkman showed up and blew us all alway, taking this to even a new level. You will have to use patience, as 200 hours for 4.4mm is a long time! But do go through the hassle of changing the destination (as that is where a big part of the warmth comes from) and do attempt to use the firmwares. The sound signature completely (360 degee) changes, it’s not a subtle thing at all. Bass is totally improved, the soundstage expands out, the treble moves into a holographic style and everything is pulled into focus, as far as detail! Also it is hard to go wrong with a firmware choice. Though too after a while you may blow past a couple firmwares, where you’ll adapt and it will become just slightly lackluster but then you finally land on one that you’ll live with day in and day out. The best part is hearing old favorites in a new and improved fashion, seemingly the same way you have always heard them except with this bigger soundstage and tactile presence that has you question if this is all you’ll ever need...ever.
Thank you. I'm gonna check over that thread then. Honestly, I'm just planning out my future upgrade from ZX300 :)
Maybe later this year or next. Something small like ZX300 but pair with Z1R well is hard to find. I still consider the current flagship that I've seen a bit too big for commute to school and work.

Personal portable rig right now is IER-Z1R (stock 4.4) with CA mesh bag for little protection and ZX300 with a rugged case. I literally just wrap them around the DAP. It sounds quite a bit abusive but I can't stand carrying around a separate case for the DAP and Z1R. I'm still looking for a better way to carry them around together without the bulk though.

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #10,181 of 15,432
I tested S1 few times before I bought a PAW6k.

Lotoo has its unique house sound that suit my taste.

If I can quantify the sound quality...S1 has about 70% of PAW6k. It's more about enjoy music type than analytics type.

And, I like PAW6k with z1r but I don't like it pairing with EE Odin.
Interesting. Thanks. The thing that attracts me to the S1 sound is its transparency which interestingly appeals to my analytical nature.

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #10,183 of 15,432

Thank you, I appreciate the perspective. I'm going to withhold judgement on the 1A until I get 400+ hours on it, and try some software tweaks to wring every ounce of performance out of her. Listening to a high res version of Abbey Road right now... I am not displeased. :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back