SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 7, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #10,126 of 15,431
Yes definitely underpowered hopefully the Hiby r6 2020 will be enough to drive em
Otherwise my wife gonna kill me 🤣

by the way this is my first expensive headphone apart from airpod max
And i live in a humid country
Do i need to store them in a dry cabinet with my camera lenses ? Or will it harm them instead?
I would invest into an L&P W2. It's only $300. I have it paired with my iPhone and it sounds better than my HIBY R6 2020. I even pair it with my R6 2020 because it sounds better that way.

The Z1R is very power hungry. I just purchased a Cayin C9 to pair with my HIby R6 2020 to drive my Z1Rs and full sized headphones and to get tube sound.

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #10,127 of 15,431
I have been using the Azla SednaEarfit Short tips with my Z1Rs because these are my go to tips and they fit and sound really great. However, today, I replaced them with the Azla Xelastecs and they sound even better. I think its due to the superior isolation which really opens up the sound stage for some reason. It might be because transparency is improved and I am getting better imaging and instrument separation. I prefer the SednaEarfitLight with my EE Odins because those IEMs have a much larger bore. The bore size on the Z1R is pretty modest and so the Xelastecs slip on very nicely.

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #10,128 of 15,431
I have been using the Azla SednaEarfit Short tips with my Z1Rs because these are my go to tips and they fit and sound really great. However, today, I replaced them with the Azla Xelastecs and they sound even better. I think its due to the superior isolation which really opens up the sound stage for some reason. It might be because transparency is improved and I am getting better imaging and instrument separation. I prefer the SednaEarfitLight with my EE Odins because those IEMs have a much larger bore. The bore size on the Z1R is pretty modest and so the Xelastecs slip on very nicely.
huh... interesting. You don't mind the Xelastec leaner presentation at all?

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #10,129 of 15,431

Try the spinfit CP500’s with the Odin ... thank me later.

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #10,130 of 15,431
huh... interesting. You don't mind the Xelastec leaner presentation at all?
I prefer the greater transparency and larger sound stage. The richness of the sound is still there and differentiates itself from my EE Odin.
Try the spinfit CP500’s with the Odin ... thank me later.
Will do.

edited to note: Wow. It fits nozzles 6-7mm in size. That must be the widest bore ear tip on the market.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #10,131 of 15,431
I prefer the greater transparency and larger sound stage. The richness of the sound is still there and differentiates itself from my EE Odin.

Will do.

edited to note: Wow. It fits nozzles 6-7mm in size. That must be the widest bore ear tip on the market.

Yeah they really allow all of them bores openings to get full exposure without being hindered by a smaller bore size. It does require a certain technique to get them out without the tip getting stuck in the ear however, but once they’ve been left on there for long enough they sort of form to Odins nozzle a bit better i.e. you have to wiggle them around a little to break the seal before pulling them out initially.... the sound you are rewarded with though is worth the hassle for me.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #10,132 of 15,431
I may be leading with my chin a little here, but I don't believe "Moar Powah Pleeze!" is really necessary for the Z1R.

While I do agree that it scales nicely with better sources, it is such a great IEM to start with that it sounds pretty amazing with just an iPhone and simple dongle DAC.

I know I can get the best out of it with my BF2/A3 on the desktop, but going mobile is still quite enjoyable with the i1 dongle or SR25. I've listened to the Z1R with a Kann Alpha and a FiiO M15, and while there is a difference to the SR25, it's on the order of single digit %, to my ears anyway. I wouldn't bother with the more brick-like DAPs (ahem, DX300...) because if I can't put it in my pocket comfortably, what's the point?

My advice to anyone considering this IEM, or who is starting out listening to it, is to not worry about how much power you give it, your phone will be just fine. Anything else is a bonus.

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #10,133 of 15,431
I may be leading with my chin a little here, but I don't believe "Moar Powah Pleeze!" is really necessary for the Z1R.

While I do agree that it scales nicely with better sources, it is such a great IEM to start with that it sounds pretty amazing with just an iPhone and simple dongle DAC.

I know I can get the best out of it with my BF2/A3 on the desktop, but going mobile is still quite enjoyable with the i1 dongle or SR25. I've listened to the Z1R with a Kann Alpha and a FiiO M15, and while there is a difference to the SR25, it's on the order of single digit %, to my ears anyway. I wouldn't bother with the more brick-like DAPs (ahem, DX300...) because if I can't put it in my pocket comfortably, what's the point?

My advice to anyone considering this IEM, or who is starting out listening to it, is to not worry about how much power you give it, your phone will be just fine. Anything else is a bonus.
You can believe what you want and whatever that is is fine. If you think that the Z1R sounds great connected to your phone, all power to you. For me, the experience is enhanced with products that are correlated to more power. Maybe I have that wrong and something other than power like DAC is causing what I believe is a material improvement to sound quality. Who knows. What I do know is that I love how my Z1Rs sound with an L&P W2, a Chord Mojo, a Chord Hugo 2 and a Chord Hugo TT2.

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #10,135 of 15,431
You can believe what you want and whatever that is is fine. If you think that the Z1R sounds great connected to your phone, all power to you. For me, the experience is enhanced with products that are correlated to more power. Maybe I have that wrong and something other than power like DAC is causing what I believe is a material improvement to sound quality. Who knows. What I do know is that I love how my Z1Rs sound with an L&P W2, a Chord Mojo, a Chord Hugo 2 and a Chord Hugo TT2.
I was wanting to ask about amp recommendations, seems like a good time to jump in.
From owning and demoing various portable and desktop amps I've found even my 16ohm Oriolus get a nice boost from higher powered outputs.
My main source will be my WM1A but the times I will sit at my desk I want to get either a portable or desktop dac/amp to provide them with a more powerful output.
Are there any portable or desktop options, preferably with 4.4mm output up to US$700 that may have good synergy with the Z1R anyone can please suggest? I understand it may come down to tastes.
I've had reasonable results amping my WM1A so I am also open to that option.
Portable would have benefits, some options I can think of is the Oriolus BA300s, Fiio Q5s....

Apr 7, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #10,136 of 15,431
I was wanting to ask about amp recommendations, seems like a good time to jump in.
From owning and demoing various portable and desktop amps I've found even my 16ohm Oriolus get a nice boost from higher powered outputs.
My main source will be my WM1A but the times I will sit at my desk I want to get either a portable or desktop dac/amp to provide them with a more powerful output.
Are there any portable or desktop options, preferably with 4.4mm output up to US$700 that may have good synergy with the Z1R anyone can please suggest? I understand it may come down to tastes.
Portable would have benefits, some options I can think of is the Oriolus BA300s, Fiio Q5s....
I was very impressed with the IFI Diablo in paring it with my Z1Rs. It has 4.4mm balanced output. I think it is $799. Someone had one for sale in the classifieds for less than that. Otherwise, I would go with a Chord Mojo or L&P W2. I own both of those, they are in the right price range and they sound great in driving the Z1Rs

Apr 7, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #10,138 of 15,431
Ifi zen can?

Apr 7, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #10,139 of 15,431

Your opinion is incredibly rare.

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #10,140 of 15,431
I was very impressed with the IFI Diablo in paring it with my Z1Rs. It has 4.4mm balanced output. I think it is $799. Someone had one for sale in the classifieds for less than that. Otherwise, I would go with a Chord Mojo or L&P W2. I own both of those, they are in the right price range and they sound great in driving the Z1Rs

Ifi zen can?
Thanks for your suggestions.
I owned the xDSD and demoed the NEO and quite like the Burr Brown sound.
I briefly owned the Zen Can but at the time was trying to find something for my MDR-Z1R so I let it go, but that was one that my iems came alive with so I'll add it to my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

• XTF1
Back