SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 6, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #8,926 of 15,276
How is the bass speed / decay on Z1R compared to M7/M9?

Oct 7, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #8,927 of 15,276
How is the bass speed / decay on Z1R compared to M7/M9?
Never heard the M7, but I currently own the other two.

Z1R bass lingers quite a bit more, and had a lot more relief and nuance than the M9.

Talking purely speed, M9 is much faster and has an over all tighter sound.

Decay however is more natural and nuanced on Z1R thanks to the dynamic driver. Percussions are extremely realistic sounding on it, there’s really nothing quite like it out there in my opinion.

I can listen to a specific track for you if you’d like :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 7, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #8,928 of 15,276
Never heard the M7, but I currently own the other two.

Z1R bass lingers quite a bit more, and had a lot more relief and nuance than the M9.

Talking purely speed, M9 is much faster and has an over all tighter sound.

Decay however is more natural and nuanced on Z1R thanks to the dynamic driver. Percussions are extremely realistic sounding on it, there’s really nothing quite like it out there in my opinion.

I can listen to a specific track for you if you’d like :)

thanks for fast chime in, actually to be honest i have to sell my M7 later for trade off / funding the Z1R. Meanwhile M7 and M9 is like my personal endgame, they have great midrange, and great layering and imaging.
I just scared if im gonna miss my M7 if I did, would I?
in bass department, i like precise and clean fast hit transient of M7/M9, i dont mind more natural sound decay but i like fast tight. Is bass on Z1R considered best in IEM world? are they fast enough?

Thanks again, ill look in my playlist later, thanks for your help.

Oct 7, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #8,929 of 15,276
I have both M9 and
thanks for fast chime in, actually to be honest i have to sell my M7 later for trade off / funding the Z1R. Meanwhile M7 and M9 is like my personal endgame, they have great midrange, and great layering and imaging.
I just scared if im gonna miss my M7 if I did, would I?
in bass department, i like precise and clean fast hit transient of M7/M9, i dont mind more natural sound decay but i like fast tight. Is bass on Z1R considered best in IEM world? are they fast enough?

Thanks again, ill look in my playlist later, thanks for your help.

I have both M9 and Z1R,
on WM1Z:
Z1r bass is slower with more punch and air compare to M9

to achieve the same speed of BA bass of M9, you need to drive z1r with ta-zh1es or DMP-z1,

Oct 7, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #8,930 of 15,276
I have both M9 and

I have both M9 and Z1R,
on WM1Z:
Z1r bass is slower with more punch and air compare to M9

to achieve the same speed of BA bass of M9, you need to drive z1r with ta-zh1es or DMP-z1,

thanks, so is it much slower, or still fast enough? which one is better from your opinion, as overall

Oct 7, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #8,931 of 15,276
Thanks for the explanation. Please let me know how much better you like the Hugo2 compared to the mojo you have been using for 2 years when it arrived :)

I have had the Hugo 2 now for 10 days and it is quite a big step up from the Mojo IMO.
Mojo sounds smooth, analog and detailed with good soundstage.

Hugo 2 has a tighter sound, everything sounds more immediate, better defined and more accurate. Rob Watts, the designer, talks about the timing a lot, the accurate starting and stopping of sounds, and you can really hear that. This is especially apparent in the bass, which sounds more textured, extended, controlled and powerful, but also in the mids and treble. Also the soundstage gains in size, depth and imaging. In one word, the Hugo 2 sounds REAL.

I bought it used and had the chance to meet the seller and test the Hugo 2 before buying. I was honestly concerned about not hearing enough difference to justify the purchase, but within seconds of listening with the IER-M9 the difference was clear and the deal was sealed.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #8,934 of 15,276
Just talked to a friend of mine whom used to own Z1R for few months sold the Z1R and bought the Solaris. He like the sound of Z1R slightly more than Solaris but end up using the Solaris because it is much more comfortable for his ears.

yeah was that solaris OG or 2020?

Oct 7, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #8,936 of 15,276
Same experience with Kann Cube on high gain.

any thought on SQ of kann vs chord mojo? I have had the mojo since 2017 and will keep it for next months after I get my Z1Rs but the kann alpha is really appealing so if SQ to mojo isn't that big a difference the larger battery, streaming etc will really be a clincher ..what you think??

Oct 7, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #8,937 of 15,276
I have both the Z1R and the Solaris SE. I think both are impressive in their own regards but I can see why the Z1R would captivate peoples imaginations a little more.
is the consensus (as far as is possible in this hobby) that custom tips solve the fit issues? Without affecting the sound too much?

Oct 7, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #8,939 of 15,276
any thought on SQ of kann vs chord mojo? I have had the mojo since 2017 and will keep it for next months after I get my Z1Rs but the kann alpha is really appealing so if SQ to mojo isn't that big a difference the larger battery, streaming etc will really be a clincher ..what you think??

Umm I think I had some crossover between when I owned the Mojo and the Cube. From memory, I remember the Mojo being a lot warmer than the Cube and with significant treble roll-off. The cube in comparison was more neutral sounding, better extended in the treble with a bigger soundstage. Detail retrieval wasn't far off though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back