SONY IER-Z1R
Sep 20, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #8,731 of 15,277
Recieved the M, ML, L pack of Xelastec tips after I found the L to be too big for me on the Z1R (they are perfect on the XM3) and the ML is perfect on the Z1R

Sep 21, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #8,733 of 15,277
I somehow feel xelastec reduce the treble a bit...idk why...

I feel they expand the soundstage a little, probably due to the bigger opening, and they give an even better seal than the Final E tips I’ve been using

Sep 21, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #8,734 of 15,277
I found the Sony IER-Z1R sounds much superior when played off my Asgard 2 desktop Dac when compared to both of my daps SR15 and N3Pro (balanced and SE). My friend who owned the Sony IER-Z1R also have similar experiences. He told me he find the sound of Z1R better when played off desktop amp than his sp1000. Does anybody else have similiar experiences? Is there a way to improve the dap sound to make it sounds superior like running it off desktop amp? Maybe add a chord mojo/Hugo to the Dap? (It’s that possible to add/connect something like the mojo/Hugo The Dap? I’m quite new to this hobby)

For me, everyone has their own sound preferences.
Some like warmer sound vs some might think it's too dark.
Some prefer the analytical sound vs some might think it's too bright.
Some like musical sound vs some might think it's not detailed enough.
Some like heavier base vs some think it's for a bass head.
Some like sparkling high vs some might think the high is piercing their eardrum.
Suggest you hear the combo with your own ear and the 'depth of your pocket'.

You may try one of the best desktop-grade 'transportable' DAC/AMP, such as Sony DMP-Z1 or Chord Hugo 2, to find your taste and use case scenario.

Note: I just get back to this "headfi game" not long ago after many years. Quite new to this hobby as well.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #8,735 of 15,277
I have been working my way through the Hugo 2 thread (skipping and filtering, around page 800 now) and the overwhelming majority states that the H2 is a very significant step up from the H1.

But for sure H1 is a good DAC if you can get it for a good price.
I consider $300/$550...600/$1300 good prices for a good, used Mojo/H1/H2. Make sure you ask about the battery condition.
Ahh I found one mojo now for 8000 baht which is around 270 usd. Minor stratches. Thanks for the recommendation on asking for the battery life condition. Will surely do that.

Sep 21, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #8,736 of 15,277
For me, everyone has their own sound preferences.
Some like warmer sound vs some might think it's too dark.
Some prefer the analytical sound vs some might think it's too bright.
Some like musical sound vs some might think it's not detailed enough.
Some like heavier base vs some think it's for a bass head.
Some like sparkling high vs some might think the high is piercing their eardrum.
Suggest you hear the combo with your own ear and the 'depth of your pocket'.

You may try one of the best desktop-grade 'transportable' DAC/AMP, such as Sony DMP-Z1 or Chord Hugo 2, to find your taste and use case scenario.

Note: I just get back to this "headfi game" not long ago after many years. Quite new to this hobby as well.

Ok thanks

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #8,737 of 15,277
I somehow feel xelastec reduce the treble a bit...idk why...
I feel they expand the soundstage a little, probably due to the bigger opening, and they give an even better seal than the Final E tips I’ve been using
Xelastec 100% increases treble clarity, stage space and air, and drastically reduced bass for me.

It really tunes them more linear imho, somehow like EX1000. I still prefere my symbio wide bore for musicality and the best bass portrayal on these iem.

Was telling my good friend that a narrow bore xelastec would be the best tip ever for Z1R.

I really feel this is the most “transparent” Sounding silicone eartips yet; it kind of denatures and removes any form of coloration, but also perhaps kills low sub bass

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 23, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #8,740 of 15,277
I have different sizes of xelastec. L increase treble. ML decrease treble
That's interesting. Would that be because of insertion level between them?

Sep 23, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #8,742 of 15,277
I'm not usually a fan of silicone type ear tips due to the noise leakage and have been using Comply foam tips for a while. I thought I'd give the Xelastecs a try to see what all the hype was about and have found that I really do like them. I have had no reduction in bass and a slight increase in treble and they generally sound great. I can get them deep into my ear canals and they are comfortable for long listening sessions once they have warmed up. However, the warming up of the tips which makes them soft and comfy also seems to mean that they do not hold onto the stem of the IER very well and after every single listening session the IEMs pull out of my ears leaving both tips stuck in my ears! Am I the only person that has this problem with them?

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #8,743 of 15,277
I'm not usually a fan of silicone type ear tips due to the noise leakage and have been using Comply foam tips for a while. I thought I'd give the Xelastecs a try to see what all the hype was about and have found that I really do like them. I have had no reduction in bass and a slight increase in treble and they generally sound great. I can get them deep into my ear canals and they are comfortable for long listening sessions once they have warmed up. However, the warming up of the tips which makes them soft and comfy also seems to mean that they do not hold onto the stem of the IER very well and after every single listening session the IEMs pull out of my ears leaving both tips stuck in my ears! Am I the only person that has this problem with them?
That has happened to.me but with stock silicone tips

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #8,744 of 15,277

This happen to me too but not very often.

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #8,745 of 15,277

It has happened for me with some other tips but not the Xelastec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back