SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 19, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #8,463 of 15,276
I'd be surprised if the 507 didn't drive them well. I don't own the ier z1r but so long as you have the non- european version there's plenty of power to drive iem's, even many headphones.

If you read chineese web sites only big desktop amps can drive the Z1R and you are an idiot or noob if you claim anything else. Personally I find that the 1Z on balanced drives them fantastic.

Aug 19, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #8,465 of 15,276
Ouch.

Thought the discussion was about the ier z1r (referenced in my post) as we're in the ier z1r thread.

Yes it is the IER we are talking about not the MDR

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #8,466 of 15,276
If you read chineese web sites only big desktop amps can drive the Z1R and you are an idiot or noob if you claim anything else. Personally I find that the 1Z on balanced drives them fantastic.
+2, IER-Z1R

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #8,468 of 15,276
I notice slight increases in dynamics (sq) going from mid to high gain (8 to 12vrms) on my kann cube so I would say no 😂 not to their full potential anyway... one thing that I can’t really get my head around is how difficult these are to drive to their full potential.
I think the IER-Z1R scale really well. IMO, they sound good with even an iphone and the Apple Lightening to 3.5mm connector, As you improve the source, the IER responds with even better sound. In the end we all have to just draw our own line cost-wise with these IER, regarding the source.

My Source/SQ experience with the EIR:

Tier 1:
Good: Iphone with lightening cable
A little better: Ipad Pro with $12 usb-c to 3.5mm connector

Tier 2:
Pretty Darn Nice: Ipad Pro with $50 Meizu Pro (Usb-c) Dac/dongle
Very Good: RME ADI-2 Dac/amp
Very Good: Sony ZH1ES Dac/amp

Tier 3:
Incredible: RME ADI-2 Dac -> GSX Mini amp
Drop the mic: Yggdrasil -> GSX Mini amp

I know the above classifications are vague. In short, as the source got cleaner you could hear more and more separation of the instruments, and the highs had more sparkle, cymbal decay was more accurate. And as the EIR had access to more power, the music had more attack, the bass was clean and tighter. The soundstage opened up and the tonal range had less congestion.

In short, the EIR are enjoyable with many sources and you don't need to spend a ton of money, or have the best source ever. My new mobile and office setup is now the EIR with ipad Pro -$50 Meizu Pro dac/dongle. The sound is very enjoyable and the Meizu dongle goes in the case with the EIR. I have my ipad at work and on trips so that is no extra burden.

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #8,469 of 15,276
I think the IER-Z1R scale really well. IMO, they sound good with even an iphone and the Apple Lightening to 3.5mm connector, As you improve the source, the IER responds with even better sound. In the end we all have to just draw our own line cost-wise with these IER, regarding the source.

My Source/SQ experience with the EIR:

Tier 1:
Good: Iphone with lightening cable
A little better: Ipad Pro with $12 usb-c to 3.5mm connector

Tier 2:
Pretty Darn Nice: Ipad Pro with $50 Meizu Pro (Usb-c) Dac/dongle
Very Good: RME ADI-2 Dac/amp
Very Good: Sony ZH1ES Dac/amp

Tier 3:
Incredible: RME ADI-2 Dac -> GSX Mini amp
Drop the mic: Yggdrasil -> GSX Mini amp

I know the above classifications are vague. In short, as the source got cleaner you could hear more and more separation of the instruments, and the highs had more sparkle, cymbal decay was more accurate. And as the EIR had access to more power, the music had more attack, the bass was clean and tighter. The soundstage opened up and the tonal range had less congestion.

In short, the EIR are enjoyable with many sources and you don't need to spend a ton of money, or have the best source ever. My new mobile and office setup is now the EIR with ipad Pro -$50 Meizu Pro dac/dongle. The sound is very enjoyable and the Meizu dongle goes in the case with the EIR. I have my ipad at work and on trips so that is no extra burden.
Agree with your statement. Some people I know forget that the enjoyment of music is the core and the Z1R is forgiving with sources (one of many reasons why I adore it).

IDK what Apple did to them dongles, but they do sound ridiculously good despite the price of $9 (Amazon).
Do you have any experience with other dongles (or perhaps BT adapters)?

Aug 19, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #8,470 of 15,276
Agree with your statement. Some people I know forget that the enjoyment of music is the core and the Z1R is forgiving with sources (one of many reasons why I adore it).

IDK what Apple did to them dongles, but they do sound ridiculously good despite the price of $9 (Amazon).
Do you have any experience with other dongles (or perhaps BT adapters)?
I don't have any other Lightening dongle experience for the iphone or experience with bluetooth adapters. The iphone setup does sound surprising good.

I have tried 2 different USB-C dongles with my iPad pro, and overall the Ipad works a lttile better as a source SQ-wise IMO. I don't know if its a difference in the dongle or that the Ipad itself is a cleaner/better source.
- The $12 WKWZY A1 dongle is pretty good. The output is pretty clean considering it's size and price.
- The $50 Meizu Pro dongle is very good. I am shocked at how good the bass is (fairly tight and deep), and the instrumentation separation is pretty good too. The SQ setup is enjoyable to me, very engaging.

These USB-c dongles should also work well with the new iphone, if Apple uses that on the next iphone. I'll be interested to see how that sounds if they do.

Aug 20, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #8,474 of 15,276
Sony launching new flagship IEM in the coming months?!

I doubt it. I would expect there to go a good many years before a new flagship comes out

Aug 20, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #8,475 of 15,276
+3

I use Wm1z, and it pair well with ier-z1r.
But I have also tried ta-zh1es, the desk amp does drive z1r even better especially on the control of bass with better speed. But I am happy enough with the wm1z already

+4

WM1Z + DSEE HX AI + Z1R is all I need to be really happy with this hobby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back