SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 30, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #8,311 of 15,277
I tried many other DAPs like the M15, M11 and what not and I didn't find any discernible differences. E-Earphone gave me a big taste of sampling headphones, AMPS, DACs, etc. So I did test a lot of equipment. So I speak from experience
like i said m11 and m15 are a big step down fro H2GO.... give it a try you will hear why I rave

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #8,312 of 15,277
I tried many other DAPs like the M15, M11 and what not and I didn't find any discernible differences. E-Earphone gave me a big taste of sampling headphones, AMPS, DACs, etc. So I did test a lot of equipment. So I speak from experience

Man...how I want to visit E-Earphone someday.

I haven't been in the hobby for long (like 2-3 years), and from all the time I tested stuffs in Audio 46 and B&H in NYC and Crutchfield in VA, I have never encountered a moment when "I need to get this DAP" even if some of them are very nice and I'd love to own them someday.

But as of right now, I'm very happy with pairing my IER-Z1R with the Fiio BTR5. To each their own.

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #8,313 of 15,277
like i said m11 and m15 are a big step down fro H2GO.... give it a try you will hear why I rave
I've sampled a lot more than that from other shops like E-Earphone, Dynamic Audio, Fuji-Avic, etc. The choices I made including buying IER-Z1R I'm very satisfied with. What I selected was good for my ears and if someone thinks there's other stuff is better, that's ok. But I'm not going to knock other companies' equipment just because it's not for me. I don't want to force my opinion on others and say they are incorrect. That's not the right approach.

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #8,314 of 15,277
Man...how I want to visit E-Earphone someday.

I haven't been in the hobby for long (like 2-3 years), and from all the time I tested stuffs in Audio 46 and B&H in NYC and Crutchfield in VA, I have never encountered a moment when "I need to get this DAP" even if some of them are very nice and I'd love to own them someday.

But as of right now, I'm very happy with pairing my IER-Z1R with the Fiio BTR5. To each their own.
The good thing about the IER-Z1R can pair with lots of equipment and can be driven easily. They are simply some of the best IEM's in my view on the market. They are my preferred way to listen to music and I found a good fit for them

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #8,315 of 15,277
The good thing about the IER-Z1R can pair with lots of equipment and can be driven easily. They are simply some of the best IEM's in my view on the market. They are my preferred way to listen to music and I found a good fit for them
That I agree. These are a joy to listen to regardless of gear (unless badly made) and I find myself straying away from nitpicking minor details and just relaxing with the music.

On that note, I still haven't found a good position for a good fit. The stock hybrid no longer hurt my inner ear and the xelastec tips are working good for grip; but they are still nowhere near the comfort I want. I'm testing various insertion depth (yes, I know deep is required for the smooth treble) and combination of tips and sizes. Not gonna lie, it's kinda fun :)

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #8,316 of 15,277
That I agree. These are a joy to listen to regardless of gear (unless badly made) and I find myself straying away from nitpicking minor details and just relaxing with the music.

On that note, I still haven't found a good position for a good fit. The stock hybrid no longer hurt my inner ear and the xelastec tips are working good for grip; but they are still nowhere near the comfort I want. I'm testing various insertion depth (yes, I know deep is required for the smooth treble) and combination of tips and sizes. Not gonna lie, it's kinda fun :)
I'm using the stock SS rubber tips. Lucky they fit me ok and give no problems

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #8,318 of 15,277
Well I have no doubt there are better DAP/amps out there but once you hit a sound you really like and the law of diminishing returns kicks in at that point I look for a combo which is also convenient for me and the Sony Walkman is very portable and i can do everything with it out of one single device especially since the new firmware with the DAP function. Anyway like i said there is always “better” but once i go from my iphone to the 1A i then kind of know what the biggest available delta is and from then on its incremental improvements.
By the way often I cant hear any significant difference even between the 3.5mm and balanced output of the 1A. Cant be sure because there is no easy way to do a quick A/B test as you have to change cables and adjust for volume but the difference is not huge as i have seen described.

i keep putting on the hours on the ier z1r, it sounds better and better! That i can hear! Thats an iem that im going to keep for a long time!

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #8,320 of 15,277
On the tips subject to me both sound and feel good, the TC a bit more comfortable and a bit of a warmer sound which i think i like slightly more

for me the TC reduces the bass quite a lot, so it’s not really preferable.

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #8,322 of 15,277
Maybe you are not achieving a perfect seal with it? In theory it should increase bass and roll off treble slightly if anything

I tried all sizes, the seal is good with larger size, but maybe because the material is softer than the hybrid, it doesn’t provide a good enough low end for me.

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #8,323 of 15,277
Well I have no doubt there are better DAP/amps out there but once you hit a sound you really like and the law of diminishing returns kicks in at that point I look for a combo which is also convenient for me and the Sony Walkman is very portable and i can do everything with it out of one single device especially since the new firmware with the DAP function. Anyway like i said there is always “better” but once i go from my iphone to the 1A i then kind of know what the biggest available delta is and from then on its incremental improvements.
By the way often I cant hear any significant difference even between the 3.5mm and balanced output of the 1A. Cant be sure because there is no easy way to do a quick A/B test as you have to change cables and adjust for volume but the difference is not huge as i have seen described.

i keep putting on the hours on the ier z1r, it sounds better and better! That i can hear! Thats an iem that im going to keep for a long time!
Delta between h2go and 1a is similar going from iPhone to 1a. Just sayin

Jul 31, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #8,324 of 15,277
I tried all sizes, the seal is good with larger size, but maybe because the material is softer than the hybrid, it doesn’t provide a good enough low end for me.
Just curious, how do you insert the iem? I find that lifting my ears backward or outward help to obtain a deep insertion with a very snug fit (maybe too snugged at times)

Aug 1, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #8,325 of 15,277
I don't pull my ears to insert the IER-Z1R, just insert it and rotate to accommodate. With IER-M7 I do pull my ear and lift with the other hand I insert the iem, let the ear go,continue pushing as soon as I feel pressure,I lift again the upper ear cartilage and push further the IEM down

Users who are viewing this thread

Back