SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 19, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #4,711 of 15,280
It just sound cleaner in general. The FreqPhase just solve the timing and phase issues on the driver. On the original model, the sound waves don’t arrive at your ear at the same time. Thanks to the preqphase design, the sound waves do arrive to your ears at the same time so the sound is less muffle and overall cleaner with greater sense of clarity. Imo, the JH13pro FP and a good upgrade cable is within a striking distance of the M9.

I have the custom JH13Pro also from 2008/9 range and over the years, the two pin socket was busted two times. I ended up sending them back for repair and my recollection is about $120.00 for repair of the socket but that was five to seven years ago. And the last time time I also upgraded to Freqphase and titanium rail and all that and spent may be $700-$800 US$ which essentially upgrade the JH13Pro to their Version2. If it is five years ago, I would recommend you to go ahead and do it. But now iems technology has advanced leaps and bounce in this past two to three years I would not recommend you to upgrade. You will be much better off putting the money in a new iems with newer technology like the Sony M9, Campfire Andromeda, or the likes of Vision Ear, or a Shosz Polar etc and let your 13 Pro goes to iems heaven. It was very good 10 years ago when it first came out but time have changed.

It's interesting how much has happend with in ears in those 10 years. When I got my qJays V2 4 years ago they were already getting scarily close to the JH13

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #4,712 of 15,280
I will tell you , I ordered some.custom tips from the custom art

Oh neet how long till u get yours?

I wonder if you tried contacting other companies for the custom eartips?
Why you chosen custom art for you.

I shot them an email and they were very fast in replying me. They said its 30€ to ship to cad and I think 75€ for eartip job and it takes 2 weeks.

Where you from?

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #4,713 of 15,280
Oh neet how long till u get yours?

I wonder if you tried contacting other companies for the custom eartips?
Why you chosen custom art for you.

I shot them an email and they were very fast in replying me. They said its 30€ to ship to cad and I think 75€ for eartip job and it takes 2 weeks.

Where you from?
I sent my impressions on Thursday, but they're stuck on the export check in Köln. I chose custom art because they're in the European zone close to Germany. They also.mentioned same info as you, time to finish an order after receiving impressions is 3 to 4 weeks and the basic price is 75€

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #4,714 of 15,280
I sent my impressions on Thursday, but they're stuck on the export check in Köln. I chose custom art because they're in the European zone close to Germany.

Looking forward to hearing your experience with custom tips on the Z1R as nothing beats customs for fit and comfort, I’m just worried that the IER won’t be able to go derp enough for good sound and that it will stick too far out to be able to lie on my side on a pillow, something I can actually do with the stock silicone tips

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #4,715 of 15,280
Looking forward to hearing your experience with custom tips on the Z1R as nothing beats customs for fit and comfort, I’m just worried that the IER won’t be able to go derp enough for good sound and that it will stick too far out to be able to lie on my side on a pillow, something I can actually do with the stock silicone tips
I am also wondering what the custom tips will entail to the sound department for the IER-Z1R and my upcoming IER-M7

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #4,716 of 15,280
I have the custom JH13Pro also from 2008/9 range and over the years, the two pin socket was busted two times. I ended up sending them back for repair and my recollection is about $120.00 for repair of the socket but that was five to seven years ago. And the last time time I also upgraded to Freqphase and titanium rail and all that and spent may be $700-$800 US$ which essentially upgrade the JH13Pro to their Version2. If it is five years ago, I would recommend you to go ahead and do it. But now iems technology has advanced leaps and bounce in this past two to three years I would not recommend you to upgrade. You will be much better off putting the money in a new iems with newer technology like the Sony M9, Campfire Andromeda, or the likes of Vision Ear, or a Shosz Polar etc and let your 13 Pro goes to iems heaven. It was very good 10 years ago when it first came out but time have changed.

The best option for him maybe to just get the driver replace or just upgrade to FP but not the latest version. The latest version has a stainless steel wave guides and new cable including the new connector may not be a good idea given the higher price. When I compare my JH13pro FP V1 side by side to the M9, I thought it was a toss up in term of sound quality. Personally, nothing beat the comfort of a custom IEM sadly the resale price on them are not very good.

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #4,718 of 15,280
So went to sony website today .co.uk for me and not available rang local sony centre and they also said the same so does that mean a new model is to be released?

Doubt that. The IER is very popular and likely is just not in stock. We have the same problem here in the USA. I have to wait a month before my dealer ship the IER-Z1R to me. Thanks to @TSAVJason for speeding my order and upgrade my order to the next air.

Aug 19, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #4,719 of 15,280
The best option for him maybe to just get the driver replace or just upgrade to FP but not the latest version. The latest version has a stainless steel wave guides and new cable including the new connector may not be a good idea given the higher price. When I compare my JH13pro FP V1 side by side to the M9, I thought it was a toss up in term of sound quality. Personally, nothing beat the comfort of a custom IEM sadly the resale price on them are not very good.

I’ll probably spend the $40 on Danish post with tracking and send it over and then hear what they say

Aug 19, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #4,720 of 15,280
So went to sony website today .co.uk for me and not available rang local sony centre and they also said the same so does that mean a new model is to be released?

I seriously doubt that there will be a new top model this soon

Aug 19, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #4,721 of 15,280
I just made a marvelous discovery!

I was in a hurry and snaged my ier-z1r and went to work. The thing I didnt realise is that my left ear didnt fit as ussualy do. The botom line aligne with intrategic notch ( thats how it shows on ear anatomy).
Yes it actually rotated counterclockwise the line that fit into the intrategic notch is now sitting slightly on the apex antitragus !

What it did is relieve the paine I had on my apex antitragus and now I have 0 paine very interesting findings.

So try it maybe if you slightly rotate the iem so the notche rotates slightly to the back and it releases the pain and its super snug and tight in my ears with SS triple comfort!

Aug 19, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #4,722 of 15,280
Just got a set of these and I am jamming out on my DX200, what a great combo! Quick question, I like the stock 3.5 cable, does anyone know where I can buy another one?

I travel a lot and always like to have an extra cable with me in case I break one.

Ok so now I can answer my own question :smile_phones:.

If you are in the U.S. is looks like you can buy the factory 3.5mm cable here: https://sony.encompass.com/item/12434618/Sony/1-912-775-21/.

I think that is the 3.5mm but I'm not positive. I called and asked but the rep wasn't sure either. They had two cables, this one and one marked balanced so I am assuming this is the right one. I ordered one and will see.

Aug 19, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #4,723 of 15,280
Doubt that. The IER is very popular and likely is just not in stock. We have the same problem here in the USA. I have to wait a month before my dealer ship the IER-Z1R to me. Thanks to @TSAVJason for speeding my order and upgrade my order to the next air.

It’s just a production shortage. Sony builds based on territory projections. I heard the UK forgot to put in their projections and the North American market projected a very small quantity. They’ve both since corrected that but it will make inventory a bit thin for a short time.

No the IER is not being discontinued for quite some time to come

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Aug 20, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #4,725 of 15,280
Stupid Amazon! My IER-Z1Rs were supposed to be delivered today. I checked the status in the morning and it left their facility at 3:30am. Then all of a sudden there’s no further updates.

I get an email saying they’ve been delayed in transit, but when I talked to customer service, I got this feeling they lost them. The Amazon facility is 30 minutes from where I work, so I’m guessing someone snagged em, or rather “they fell off the truck.”

The worst part is Amazon isn’t getting more until next week, so my box better show up tomorrow or I’m going to end up on the 10 o’clock news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back