SONY IER-Z1R
May 1, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #2,401 of 15,275
Does the KSE1200 come with its own amplifier or something? Is that included in the cost? How manageable is it with a dap? And why aren't you sharing your comparison?

Yes, the KSE1200 comes with the amp it needs to run. It's a simple line-in interconnect with a source. The only contention is that it makes for another element in a stack, which if you already have a source and DAC stacked, then now it's three things.

I didn't get enough time with the Z1R to completely comment on a comparison. But what's definitive to me is more coherency and frequency response balance with the KSE1200. The Z1R has that little dip in the mids, and to me, something was a bit off with the transition from mid to treble (I demo'd it with a WM1Z). The KSE1200 is all even, all clear. However, the Z1R is more engaging, with its striking bass and wide soundstage.

May 2, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #2,402 of 15,275
Does the KSE1200 come with its own amplifier or something? Is that included in the cost? How manageable is it with a dap? And why aren't you sharing your comparison?
I don't have the KSE1200 but I have the KSE1500 (which should sound the same) and the Z1R. The Z1R has significantly larger soundstage with better imagine and the bass is much more visceral with more impact. The KSE1500 is more neutral with significantly better resolution/transparency/detail retreival and faster transient response. Mid on the KSE is not exactly lush but still better than the Z1R's somewhat weird mid. Both have great definition among an iems but I would give an edge to the KSE.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #2,403 of 15,275
I don't have the KSE1200 but I have the KSE1500 (which should sound the same) and the Z1R. The Z1R has significantly larger soundstage with better imagine and the bass is much more visceral with more impact. The KSE1500 is more neutral with significantly better resolution/transparency/detail retreival and faster transient response. Mid on the KSE is not exactly lush but still way better than the Z1R's somewhat weird mid. Both have great definition among an iems but I would give an edge to the KSE.

It's nice when people agree! This is my impression between them to the T.

May 2, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #2,404 of 15,275
I don't have the KSE1200 but I have the KSE1500 (which should sound the same) and the Z1R. The Z1R has significantly larger soundstage with better imagine and the bass is much more visceral with more impact. The KSE1500 is more neutral with significantly better resolution/transparency/detail retreival and faster transient response. Mid on the KSE is not exactly lush but still better than the Z1R's somewhat weird mid. Both have great definition among an iems but I would give an edge to the KSE.
Oh thanks for the info!
Thats pretty much what i read everywhere, I don't think there is any IEM out there that can beat KSE1200/1500 in terms of resolution/transparency/detail retrival at this moment, however I would have preferred a bigger sound stage. That's when Z1R comes in with amazing bass + amazing soundstage, I also love how it looks like an expensive big earring lol.
I guess from your review they are so different but they somehow should complete each other.

May 2, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #2,405 of 15,275
Gonna keep this succinct. Few weeks back tried the IER-Z1R, wasn't my cup of tea. Fast forward to this week, I caved and found myself a pair. No power issues, fit issues, and such.
Not that it needs to be said, but it does come down to fit and preference. Won't cater to everyone's palate.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #2,406 of 15,275
Gonna keep this succinct. Few weeks back tried the IER-Z1R, wasn't my cup of tea. Fast forward to this week, I caved and found myself a pair.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #2,407 of 15,275
Gonna keep this succinct. Few weeks back tried the IER-Z1R, wasn't my cup of tea. Fast forward to this week, I caved and found myself a pair. No power issues, fit issues, and such.
Not that it needs to be said, but it does come down to fit and preference. Won't cater to everyone's palate.
If you BELIEVE its good then its good, later when you want to buy a new iem then you can BELIEVE you need it.

May 2, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #2,408 of 15,275
At first it seemed like he listened to the iems, didn't like them, then caved in and bought them. Apparently he has since listened to them again and presumably changed his mind. What's the succinct version of what changed?

May 2, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #2,409 of 15,275
The difference between the 1200 and 1500 is exactly the dac. 1200 comes with amp only and 1500 amp/dac module. You will be fine connecting directly to a DAP.

May 2, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #2,410 of 15,275
At first it seemed like he listened to the iems, didn't like them, then caved in and bought them. Apparently he has since listened to them again and presumably changed his mind. What's the succinct version of what changed?
I didn't dislike them initially. Just didn't really fit what I was looking for at the time. After hearing something else like the Noble Khan after the IER-Z1R, perhaps it recalibrated what I was looking for? Perks of not having to blind buy.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #2,411 of 15,275
I didn't dislike them initially. Just didn't really fit what I was looking for at the time. After hearing something else like the Noble Khan after the IER-Z1R, perhaps it recalibrated what I was looking for?
I liked the "recalibrate". :)

How did you compare the Khan to the Z1R? I tried it when I was looking for a good Hybrid IEM.

May 2, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #2,413 of 15,275
Finally got my order from amazon delivered today. Just opened the box and tried them on, dang these things are huge but only for a few minutes so can’t tell if it will be a problem. Compared to my shure SE846 and KSE1200, the Sony is much larger and protrude out way more.

Are you in europe?

May 2, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #2,414 of 15,275
I liked the "recalibrate". :)

How did you compare the Khan to the Z1R? I tried it when I was looking for a good Hybrid IEM.

Hi mate, are you using balanced or single ended with your AK and Z1R? I'm interested in the Z1R which to me sounded great with my SP1000m, but I eventually would want to try balanced. I'm a bit worried about using a third party cable with them after reading some stuff here, which is the biggest thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.

Anyone else had experience with aftermarket cables for the Z1R?

May 2, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #2,415 of 15,275
Hi mate, are you using balanced or single ended with your AK and Z1R? I'm interested in the Z1R which to me sounded great with my SP1000m, but I eventually would want to try balanced. I'm a bit worried about using a third party cable with them after reading some stuff here, which is the biggest thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.

Anyone else had experience with aftermarket cables for the Z1R?
I tried third party cables on my M9 (gold plated, silver plated and pure copper) and after what I heard (horrendous performance) I didn't even bother try on my Z1R. When they say that Sony did actually put the best cable match, that's actually true. Also amazing quality cables.

Anyway, I bought a couple copper silver plated adaptors 4.4->2.5 and 4.4->3.5) from OKCSC on Amazon that is working pretty well, no sound degration at all.

OKCSC 4.4 mm to 2.5 mm Converison... https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07DNVN3B5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Users who are viewing this thread

Back