SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 20, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #2,131 of 15,276
You could not be farther from the truth. Yes, on a fuller bass, but the Z5 has no where near the subbass impact of the IER-Z1R? Also I’m not sure what you mean about detail revealing? The IER-Z1R is leagues ahead on detail anyway you slice it? When I purchased my IER-Z1R the shop had a pair with 200 hours, mine out of the box sounded way different using the 1Z they had? After about 100 hours mine started to sound almost identical to the shops. The burned in ones actually seemed easier to drive and were both warmer and had more detail, like the bass was more responsive. Also.......... what are you using to drive them? Tips and fit can be confusing too, as with the right tip they go way deep for fit, and that’s when you get the best treble which increases the detail. It’s funny because fit actually increases the treble and bass. Fit adds to the U shape? IMO

Also going 4.4mm from a DAP was different than using a phone?

Source was my WM1Z, no mods - 4.4 - high gain. I just felt the Z5 to be sonically superior to Z1R.

Alright time to settle this.. like men..

20190420_115708.jpg

I can get access to the Z1R and Z5 tomorrow once again. If you like I can share the same reference dsd/dxd music files that I am very familiar with. We can listen to the files with same source (audio settings) , iems and audio files. This should be more realistic. I will reference the exact time stamps on the audio clip to tell you where exactly that I feel the Z5 actually outperforms the Z1R in terms of fuller sub bass and detail revealing, you provide your thoughts??

Apr 20, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #2,132 of 15,276
Sony's last gen XBA line is good~ and if you people didn't realize @Redcarmoose compared the Z1R to Z5 back in his famous review, and as he said, the IER-Z1R is a perfected Z5. I'm more inclined (hope) to agree with that statement, Cause I love my A3 (Much more affordable Z5)

So you guys that seems to be so itching for a IER Z1R impression, why don't you try and snag a used Sony XBA A3/Z5 somewhere and see whether the tuning suits your taste? :laughing:They can be get quite cheaply these days.

I started reading his review again yesterday and he's absolutely gushing, similar to a few of his posts here, which is fine but when there's a preamble too... I've been looking for reliable impressions and he stands alone in his positivity which I can't take at face value. I can only hope I'm 90% as thrilled as he is. I'm glad there's at least one person who's completely satisfied.

Apr 20, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #2,133 of 15,276
Source was my WM1Z, no mods - 4.4 - high gain. I just felt the Z5 to be sonically superior to Z1R.

I can get access to the Z1R and Z5 tomorrow once again. If you like I can share the same reference dsd/dxd music files that I am very familiar with. We can listen to the files with same source (audio settings) , iems and audio files. This should be more realistic. I will reference the exact time stamps on the audio clip to tell you where exactly that I feel the Z5 actually outperforms the Z1R in terms of fuller sub bass and detail revealing, you provide your thoughts??

No, no you absolutely have rights to your own subjective opinion I respect it wholeheartedly. But get access meaning you don’t own the IER-Z1R, but have a way to spend time with it?

It’s just surprising to me that’s all............as in my own opinion the IER-Z1R is worlds apart from the Z5 fixing any issue that I thought was missing. The more I listen to both, using the 4.4mm stock included cable with the IER-Z1R and Kimber 4.4mm with the XBA-Z5, I (as expected) find them to be farther and farther apart and different.

It’s not like they are opposites but different takes on the same signature. I dearly love the Z5 but hear the IER-Z1R winning out in soundstage and detail and overall correctness in the midrange?

But of course everyone has their preference, and the Z5 does have a thicker bass. It’s just wildly surprising to me that’s all. They both seem to share a nice level of smoothness, but they are different?

Enjoy!

Apr 20, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #2,134 of 15,276
You could not be farther from the truth. Yes, on a fuller bass, but the Z5 has no where near the subbass impact of the IER-Z1R? Also I’m not sure what you mean about detail revealing? The IER-Z1R is leagues ahead on detail anyway you slice it? When I purchased my IER-Z1R the shop had a pair with 200 hours, mine out of the box sounded way different using the 1Z they had? After about 100 hours mine started to sound almost identical to the shops. The burned in ones actually seemed easier to drive and were both warmer and had more detail, like the bass was more responsive. Also.......... what are you using to drive them? Tips and fit can be confusing too, as with the right tip they go way deep for fit, and that’s when you get the best treble which increases the detail. It’s funny because fit actually increases the treble and bass. Fit adds to the U shape? IMO

Also going 4.4mm from a DAP was different than using a phone?

It may come down to fit, I found that Z1R really needs a snug deep fit to shine, more so than most other universals I've tried. And the shape/weight is sadly not a easy fit for all ears I think.

Apr 20, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #2,135 of 15,276
I started reading his review again yesterday and he's absolutely gushing, similar to a few of his posts here, which is fine but when there's a preamble too... I've been looking for reliable impressions and he stands alone in his positivity which I can't take at face value. I can only hope I'm 90% as thrilled as he is. I'm glad there's at least one person who's completely satisfied.

Right my review is not objective, in regards to a middle of the road impression. It’s because I’m too into everything the IER-Z1R does.

At the same time I have friends into a more mid centric sound, so it causes me to understand that one IEM is not going to be best for everyone. Also some may not get a good fit. The fit is everything! As if you don’t get the fit, it does not matter what they sound like, the plane will not leave the ground.

I tried to be objective in my review but I could not as the IER-Z1R was and is everything I could ever ask for. I’m getting some free IEMs shipped to me for review, but I have to say, I’m finished looking. I don’t think I may ever find anything like the IER-Z1R again? I’m sailing off into the sunset with em.

Let me find some more positive reviews from experienced and not crazy maniacs....... but respected folks on the IER-Z1R and post them here. Others like the IER-Z1R too, and have the same view as I, amazingly enough!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #2,136 of 15,276
It may come down to fit, I found that Z1R really needs a snug deep fit to shine, more so than most other universals I've tried. And the shape/weight is sadly not a easy fit for all ears I think.

Exactly that is what I have been saying.....fit is everything. But I know your happy with your other IEMs. You solid your new IEMs....right?

I make the fit thing an issue as there are people truly confused by fit. They have the wrong fit and don’t know it. I do have fit issues with other IEMs at times. My remedy is of course to keep playing with tips. But a technique that I found (to test) simply involves pressing the IEMs with both fingers simultaneously to hear an increase in sound quality. As in that test it replicates a perfect fit with the correct tips. But for me no matter what I do the IER-Z1R sound exactly the same, because the fit is right.

Apr 20, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #2,137 of 15,276
https://theheadphonelist.com/canjam-singapore-2019/7/

Ok kids, here we go. Another review of the IER-Z1Rs that parallels my impressions to the T. Though he cues in more on the mid-ability. We are also expecting another review by another high profile reviewer to coincide with this opinion, later this month.

Also this writer is one of......... if not THE most respected reviewer at Head-Fi.

His impressions are word for word.......my impressions.

In case you miss the very end of his whole article, he called it best of the
Singapore show in some ways. And I do know of more gushing reviews but I’m too lazy to find them, also I don’t need any more reviews.

“Sony’s IER-Z1R was best-in-show as far as I’m concerned in stage expansion, stability and organisation. Perhaps FiR Audio’s mind-boggling tubeless technology is the only other in contention. But, in terms of sheer resolution, layering, detail retrieval and imaging precision, the IER-Z1R checked all those technical boxes with ease. And, its marvellously-executed low-end must be highlighted as well. My personal preferences would request a bit more wetness and warmth along the lower-mids. But subjectivity aside, Sony’s new flagship is worth any audiophile’s attention for technique alone.”

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #2,138 of 15,276
Exactly that is what I have been saying.....fit is everything. But I know your happy with your other IEMs. You solid your new IEMs....right?

I make the fit thing an issue as there are people truly confused by fit. They have the wrong fit and don’t know it. I do have fit issues with other IEMs at times. My remedy is of course to keep playing with tips. But a technique that I found (to test) simply involves pressing the IEMs with both fingers simultaneously to hear an increase in sound quality. As in that test it replicates a perfect fit with the correct tips. But for me no matter what I do the IER-Z1R sound exactly the same, because the fit is right.

Totally agree. I did sell my Z1R but only because of finicky fit with my ears, ultimately they were slightly too big and not fully comfortable for me. When I held/pushed the Z1R in with my hands, the sound was incredible. Even w/ a subpar fit, I still thought it was one of the best IEMs I have ever tried. The signature reminds me a lot of the Hifiman HEK series. Airy with huge stage, sparkly treble, deep textured bass.

Apr 20, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #2,139 of 15,276
But of course everyone has their preference, and the Z5 does have a thicker bass. It’s just wildly surprising to me that’s all. They both seem to share a nice level of smoothness, but they are different?

Only reason to bring the Z5 into this topic is, When I 1st tried the Z1R, I had only two immediate impressions,

one - unmistakably Sony,
two - very familiar sound signature to Z5.

This warm signature is so very unique to Sony, so far I could call it 'ears on red wine'. While the TOTL Campfire and 64 Audio products I till recently owned were extremely accurate and over whelming like 'ears on redbull'. So if my quest was to get Sony's TM warm sound signature I'd pick the Z5, given the low $$.

I suppose the Z5 vs Z1R will end up, more like the WM1A vs WM1Z, inconclusive even after years of owing both daps.

Exactly that is what I have been saying.....fit is everything.

Fit wasn't the issue. Z1R is in fact an excellent air-lock fit to my ears, I didnt feel any discomfort at all. My ears were in fact carefully designed for IEMs, all credits to my parents. :)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #2,140 of 15,276
Only reason to bring the Z5 into this topic is, When I 1st tried the Z1R, I had only two immediate impressions,

one - unmistakably Sony,
two - very familiar sound signature to Z5.

This warm signature is so very unique to Sony, so far I could call it 'ears on red wine'. While the TOTL Campfire and 64 Audio products I till recently owned were extremely accurate and over whelming like 'ears on redbull'. So if my quest was to get Sony's TM warm sound signature I'd pick the Z5, given the low $$.

I suppose the Z5 vs Z1R will end up, more like the WM1A vs WM1Z, inconclusive even after years of owing both daps.

Fit wasn't the issue. Z1R is in fact an excellent air-lock fit to my ears, I didnt feel any discomfort at all. My ears were in fact carefully designed for IEMs, all credits to my parents. :)

I totally understand. And......if anyone has been around for awhile they know some people love the HD800 for the detail and speed. Others don’t appreciate that much “of whatever it is?” that the HD800 does. I own the Z5 and consider it a classic, though I came to a point where I wanted an IEM that would deliver more. Though I actually own IEMs with a sound “of whatever that is” that the Z5 does. They do even a little more “of whatever that is” and it’s laid-back; but I like them. The Z5 is actually very cohesive and polite, it’s known as being well rounded and performs with a whole range of musical genres. The IER-Z1R comes off almost extreme. It does all these technicalities but it’s also extreme.

Maybe for some too it could be distracting where the Z5 could almost have a background music character if turned down. For me the revelation was after the review, I spent a couple of days listening to the Z5 after the IER-Z1R, and all I could think about was.....”there is more bass with the Z5”.

A really really early impression was that the Z5 had more bass than the IER-Z1R, and before ownership a couple of us didn’t know how to take that comment. We were confused that the IER-Z1R was going to be bass-shy. Lol.

As posted early in this thread, I didn’t spend a ton of time with the N8 or the Campfire Atlas, but on a short listen they came off more intense than the IER-Z1R. Where in relation the Z5 is slightly laid-back and even the IER-Z1R offers a more polite bass. IMO

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #2,141 of 15,276
https://theheadphonelist.com/canjam-singapore-2019/7/

Ok kids, here we go. Another review of the IER-Z1Rs that parallels my impressions to the T. Though he cues in more on the mid-ability. We are also expecting another review by another high profile reviewer to coincide with this opinion, later this month.

Also this writer is one of......... if not THE most respected reviewer at Head-Fi.

I have some concerns about this. We all know there is an inherent bias in what is on the home page of this site, the formal reviews, and in external formal reviews. I suspect in some cases it's to foster a positive and inviting atmosphere, in others it's to establish and preserve relationships, and in the cases of regular head-fi members who step up to individual reviews I suspect it's not to crap on what others are listening to. The point being much of what you see more formally is strongly shaped by interpersonal and selfish concerns, not dispassionate critical thinking. I recall Tyll Hertsens claiming that some manufacturers turned chilly towards him due to criticism and that guy is both relatively mild and professional. We all know there is a big difference between what you read in head-fi threads, on reddit, and on that place we shall not speak of where regular people converse anonymously and elsewhere. Ironically I find the regular people impressions in regular places more valuable because those impressions are less tainted by interests that have little to do with the quality of the products themselves. You should know very well that if you were to read the more formal head-fi reviews of headphones you don't think much of you're going to see many positive claims you'd strongly disagree with. The best part is when you start finding certain phrases and statements applied to everything under the sun. In my opinion the front page of this site is comical.

The point is if the sort of reviews you're referring to are significantly different from what you find in more informal settings they have to be taken with a big grain of salt. Fortunately I'll be able to start listening soon enough myself but it has to be said that if impressions are markedly different between the different places I've outlined that leaves impressions very much unsettled.

The signature reminds me a lot of the Hifiman HEK series. Airy with huge stage, sparkly treble, deep textured bass.

Hopefully it's nowhere near as soft and relaxed as those headphones. Light caresses are polarizing.

I totally understand. And......if anyone has been around for awhile they know some people love the HD800 for the detail and speed. Others don’t appreciate that much “of whatever it is?” that the HD800 does. I own the Z5 and consider it a classic, though I came to a point where I wanted an IEM that would deliver more. Though I actually own IEMs with a sound “of whatever that is” that the Z5 does. They do even a little more “of whatever that is” and it’s laid-back; but I like them. The Z5 is actually very cohesive and polite, it’s known as being well rounded and performs with a whole range of musical genres. The IER-Z1R comes off almost extreme. It does all these technicalities but it’s also extreme.

Maybe for some too it could be distracting where the Z5 could almost have a background music character if turned down. For me the revelation was after the review, I spent a couple of days listening to the Z5 after the IER-Z1R, and all I could think about was.....”there is more bass with the Z5”.

A really really early impression was that the Z5 had more bass than the IER-Z1R, and before ownership a couple of us didn’t know how to take that comment. We were confused that the IER-Z1R was going to be bass-shy. Lol.

As posted early in this thread, I didn’t spend a ton of time with the N8 or the Campfire Atlas, but on a short listen they came off more intense than the IER-Z1R. Where in relation the Z5 is slightly laid-back and even the IER-Z1R offers a more polite bass. IMO

...Is the bass of the z1r better than that of the Solaris? Is the z1r relaxed or forward but not over the top? I've heard that the Atlas exaggerates bass basically, but that is what some people want, it represents an extreme. You said earlier that the z1r is supposed to be a good fit with electronic music.

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #2,142 of 15,276

It seems the Z1R is finicky with tips eal and depth insertion, need more burn in for more direct comparison, or just Sony's House sound not gelling with that you're looking for. Whichever it is thanks for the opinion, knowing now I did get a bit more comparison to the Z5, I'm glad haha.

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #2,143 of 15,276
I have some concerns about this. We all know there is an inherent bias in what is on the home page of this site, the formal reviews, and in external formal reviews. I suspect in some cases it's to foster a positive and inviting atmosphere, in others it's to establish and preserve relationships, and in the cases of regular head-fi members who step up to individual reviews I suspect it's not to **** on what others are listening to. The point being much of what you see more formally is strongly shaped by interpersonal and selfish concerns, not dispassionate critical thinking. I recall Tyll Hertsens claiming that some manufacturers turned chilly towards him due to criticism and that guy is both relatively mild and professional. We all know there is a big difference between what you read in head-fi threads, on reddit, and on that place we shall not speak of where regular people converse anonymously and elsewhere. Ironically I find the regular people impressions in regular places more valuable because those impressions are less tainted by interests that have little to do with the quality of the products themselves. You should know very well that if you were to read the more formal head-fi reviews of headphones you don't think much of you're going to see many positive claims you'd strongly disagree with. The best part is when you start finding certain phrases and statements applied to everything under the sun. In my opinion the front page of this site is comical.

The point is if the sort of reviews you're referring to are significantly different from what you find in more informal settings they have to be taken with a big grain of salt. Fortunately I'll be able to start listening soon enough myself but it has to be said that if impressions are markedly different between the different places I've outlined that leaves impressions very much unsettled.

Hopefully it's nowhere near as soft and relaxed as those headphones. Light caresses are polarizing.

...Is the bass of the z1r better than that of the Solaris? Is the z1r relaxed or forward but not over the top? I've heard that the Atlas exaggerates bass basically, but that is what some people want, it represents an extreme. You said earlier that the z1r is supposed to be a good fit with electronic music.

But not everything is useless there, it's up to the reader themselves to sort through them, either by product, author, etc, true that they would never put negative review up front, in such forums, encouraging arguments by starting negativity ain't exactly something such a big Global forum (which clearly can no longer filter/predict what their audience would like or dislike) like Head fi can do anymore. Honest reviews can still be found here, we just need to find the right people and get to their forums/community.

This place? It's more for the wider audience and richer varience in impressions really.

Which is why I recommended Redcarmoose's review, I just find his very entertertaining to read that's simply it.

I was encouraged with his comparison to the Z5 but I know the guy less than many other reviewer I know so I can't filter his preference yet, but I sure am will try as I'd read more of his review if I found one!

Haven't played around with new gear much lately tho, so probably for me I'd just be roaming around reading them reviews for entertainment only, as without same headphone /IEM to reference/ base a reviewer on, I won't be able to get a real grip on what they're talking about. That's just the way it is I'm afraid, some people just can't try everything they want, haha!

These days lately tho, so much noise everywhere, so many new Flagships, and just 1 pair of ears, I have, I started to get fatigued. So I just lock on to small number of gear and brand and go along~ with it.
It'd get so overwhelming otherwise.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #2,145 of 15,276
Which Crinacle also brought up in his short review video, nothing can satisfy everybody.
Just weight between the strength and weakness it has.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back