SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 20, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #1,156 of 15,276
Mids:
Slightly recessed and thin. Male vocals are a bit distant in comparison to female vocals. Overall both takes a position behind the instruments while the male vocals are slight behind the female's.

Hmm, interesting about the mids. Seems like impressions so far are all over the place with the mids and treble. But everyone seems to agree that the bass is great. Maybe the Z1R is highly source dependent?

Feb 20, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #1,158 of 15,276
Hmm, interesting about the mids. Seems like impressions so far are all over the place with the mids and treble. But everyone seems to agree that the bass is great. Maybe the Z1R is highly source dependent?

This is why I asked if anyone has used it with a desktop dac amp. I really believe that it requires a relatively powerful amp and a good source to get it to shine. Portable amps and daps that are not underpowered might be needed at the very minimum to get decent sound out of them. Phone outputs and weak daps may make it sound weak in the midrange. If people are going to leave impressions, I hope that they list what dac and amp was used. Maybe tips could play a big part of the sound. I've liked triple comforts tips in the past and if I do get one I hope it fits me better. I think I need ML.

Feb 20, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #1,161 of 15,276
This is why I asked if anyone has used it with a desktop dac amp. I really believe that it requires a relatively powerful amp and a good source to get it to shine. Portable amps and daps that are not underpowered might be needed at the very minimum to get decent sound out of them. Phone outputs and weak daps may make it sound weak in the midrange. If people are going to leave impressions, I hope that they list what dac and amp was used. Maybe tips could play a big part of the sound. I've liked triple comforts tips in the past and if I do get one I hope it fits me better. I think I need ML.
I tried it with the DMP-1Z and even then the thin mid is apparent but only in some tracks. Though, I would say that they have dry-ish quality to them rather than being outright thin. It's true that it is way less noticeable than from lower-powered source though.

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #1,168 of 15,276
Photo of them actually in ears would be helpful, lol.

36D88508-F854-4F7C-9D51-910F9DD64393.jpeg

Is huge but over my 3 hours testing, is very comfortable no issue with fit at all...

Feb 20, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #1,169 of 15,276
I have been thinking why the initial impressions on the Z1r are quite different across the board. I know we have different ears and different preferences in sound, but it shouldn't be that diametrically opposite from recess mid to strong mid and from absent treble to forward treble. I don't think my hearing is that far off from others. I can postulate that with two DD drivers it may take some heavy burning in to reach stability. As all of our auditions are with new units I think for those of us who have received the unit may want to clock in the time of use/burn in and see if there is any change in signature and share it here will be great. How much amplification is used to drive the unit is also useful info.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #1,170 of 15,276
2482FD3E-51AA-45CB-8649-B1BF269548E1.jpeg

Stick out quite a bit on my ear but great comfort despite heavy shell. It’s like Andro Steel but without sharp edges. Skin contact only on eartip. It look slightly odd angle cuz I’m taking photo from below horizontal plane.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back