SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 14, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #1,067 of 15,276
When you have to try different tips and cables in most cases the iem has some major issues.
No.
It just means its transparent, and responds to equipment change.
Skull candy sounds the same, no matter what tips etc etc are used. And it's not the beacon of SQ.

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #1,069 of 15,276
No.
It just means its transparent, and responds to equipment change.
Skull candy sounds the same, no matter what tips etc etc are used. And it's not the beacon of SQ.
I said MOST not all the time.

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #1,071 of 15,276
I remember it tamed the highs in a good way and give more decay and body to the bass. There's still problem with the mids though.

It's the opposite of what I want to achieve. The highs are more than tame enough, I want it more prominent.

And there is sufficient mids to keep me pleased. At least for my music genre.

I suspect the WM1Z as the source is what you should be after. Or maybe you are using the PP8 as the reference.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #1,074 of 15,276
0B3F9F3C-43AD-41A6-A69E-33E3ACAE8CFA.jpeg F8957206-3BDF-46F8-9DB6-F5D53C65A886.jpeg

Since I’m in Singapore currently and a call to Sony Atria confirmed they have Z1R demo back in store, I decided to give it a demo. Battle of Japanese flagship IEMs, Z1R vs FW10K.

Size and weight wise, Z1R both bigger and heavier. Memory wise also a bit finicky than I recall on M9. Fitment no issue for me, stable and secure seal with stock M tip. The IEM surface finishing is not my type, same as Andro S. Look gross with fingerprints and collect scratches like no one biz.

Listening through iPhone X with dongle. Music from Spotify offline highest quality.

First listen, remind me of M9 tuning with bigger stage height, improved sound dynamic and bass texture/decay. More musical version of M9 due to DD bass imho albeit good bass response/impact on M9. 100% can identify it’s dynamic driver from get-go. M9 punch harder (speed sound the same from memory) almost like a dynamic but there’s no reverb/decay unless it’s in the music.

High is a step behind low and mid spectrum, similar to M9. It’s definitely well extended but just not upfront which impact the next aspect. It sound dark, not airy. Listen to Celine Dion doesn’t make me cry.

Noticeable plastic/honky sound (voice, instrument), again similar to M9. Don’t think it’s due to bass bleed. Not severe but compared to my other recent IEM, it’s there. Mid otherwise is fine, not too upfront nor distant. Sound quite similar to M9 but with extra body (DD?).

Soundstage height is better than M9, sound larger. However width almost the same from memory. Overall still sound more intimate compared to 10K/Solaris due to darkness. My issue is the stage sound like an image (let’s say 16:9 format) being drag upward to create illusion of stage (4:3) height instead of original image recorded in that desired resolution. Solaris and 10K are much more convincing, with notes floating in each recorded space.

Separation/layering, better than M9 from memory but 10K seem much precise, easier to pick out each note. Each guitar pick, drum beat etc is clearer on 10K. Solaris also have upper advantage here. Likely due to airiness between notes making much of the differences, affecting overall presentation clarity.

All above may change if Z1R is not driven sufficiently from iPhone (which mostly likely the case as 10K definitely improved when driven by Micro Black Label compared to iPhone). However both straight out of iPhone, I pick 10K any day. YVMV.

Feb 14, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #1,075 of 15,276
It's the opposite of what I want to achieve. The highs are more than tame enough, I want it more prominent.

And there is sufficient mids to keep me pleased. At least for my music genre.

I suspect the WM1Z as the source is what you should be after. Or maybe you are using the PP8 as the reference.

Try Spiral Dots? Those usually help essentuate treble.

Feb 14, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #1,077 of 15,276

Since I’m in Singapore currently and a call to Sony Atria confirmed they have Z1R demo back in store, I decided to give it a demo. Battle of Japanese flagship IEMs, Z1R vs FW10K.

Size and weight wise, Z1R both bigger and heavier. Memory wise also a bit finicky than I recall on M9. Fitment no issue for me, stable and secure seal with stock M tip. The IEM surface finishing is not my type, same as Andro S. Look gross with fingerprints and collect scratches like no one biz.

Listening through iPhone X with dongle. Music from Spotify offline highest quality.

First listen, remind me of M9 tuning with bigger stage height, improved sound dynamic and bass texture/decay. More musical version of M9 due to DD bass imho albeit good bass response/impact on M9. 100% can identify it’s dynamic driver from get-go. M9 punch harder (speed sound the same from memory) almost like a dynamic but there’s no reverb/decay unless it’s in the music.

High is a step behind low and mid spectrum, similar to M9. It’s definitely well extended but just not upfront which impact the next aspect. It sound dark, not airy. Listen to Celine Dion doesn’t make me cry.

Noticeable plastic/honky sound (voice, instrument), again similar to M9. Don’t think it’s due to bass bleed. Not severe but compared to my other recent IEM, it’s there. Mid otherwise is fine, not too upfront nor distant. Sound quite similar to M9 but with extra body (DD?).

Soundstage height is better than M9, sound larger. However width almost the same from memory. Overall still sound more intimate compared to 10K/Solaris due to darkness. My issue is the stage sound like an image (let’s say 16:9 format) being drag upward to create illusion of stage (4:3) height instead of original image recorded in that desired resolution. Solaris and 10K are much more convincing, with notes floating in each recorded space.

Separation/layering, better than M9 from memory but 10K seem much precise, easier to pick out each note. Each guitar pick, drum beat etc is clearer on 10K. Solaris also have upper advantage here. Likely due to airiness between notes making much of the differences, affecting overall presentation clarity.

All above may change if Z1R is not driven sufficiently from iPhone (which mostly likely the case as 10K definitely improved when driven by Micro Black Label compared to iPhone). However both straight out of iPhone, I pick 10K any day. YVMV.

The IER-Z1R needs a lot of juice. I have to turn them up to the same level as I would with it's bigger sibling, the MDR-Z1R.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #1,079 of 15,276
I forgot to state that, yes, again similar to M9. Harder to drive to get listenable volume.

Thanks for your impressions but +1 on trying again with a more powerful source it’s not only a matter of driving them loud enough but also well enough dynamic drivers are notably harder to drive, let alone 2 dynamic drivers... still, interesting to get the comparison to FW10K with the same source.

Feb 14, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #1,080 of 15,276
Thanks for your impressions but +1 on trying again with a more powerful source it’s not only a matter of driving them loud enough but also well enough dynamic drivers are notably harder to drive, let alone 2 dynamic drivers... still, interesting to get the comparison to FW10K with the same source.

I left abruptly just now after 1 hour demo due to phone call albeit testing both out of TA-ZH1ES was in my plan initially. If time permit, I will go for another demo with that beast. That kit is awesome last time I tried with Z1R (headphone).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back