SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 8, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #12,451 of 15,280
Aug 10, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #12,453 of 15,280
Aug 10, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #12,454 of 15,280
Unless already discussed, when is the new or next TOTL IEM to follow from Sony due?
Your guess is as good as mine. Some early rumours of a full-size headphone update late this year, but no word on Z1R. Suits me just fine...I don't need the FOMO! :sweat_smile:

Aug 10, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #12,455 of 15,280
Unless already discussed, when is the new or next TOTL IEM to follow from Sony due?
Nothing has been announced or even rumored but I would expect it to be several years down the line

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #12,456 of 15,280
Your guess is as good as mine. Some early rumours of a full-size headphone update late this year, but no word on Z1R. Suits me just fine...I don't need the FOMO! :sweat_smile:
Same here. I’m good with the current one.

Aug 19, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #12,458 of 15,280
Well, Finally got mine, was planning on picking them up in Japan (15% cheaper between the domestic price and not having to pay sales tax), then Covid hit and I have not made a trip there in the last 30 months. But I guess thing do eventually work out as with the recent drop in the Yen, I was able to ask my friend in Hong Kong to pick me up a pair for US$1250 and bring it to me. Initial impression is pretty similar to when I listened to them almost 3 years ago. The include balanced cable is ok but using the Sony/Kimber balanced was smoother, the high is no longer super bright and the lower mid took a step forward using my PHA-2A. I probably would have been a bit disappointed if I paid ~US$1700 +10% tax on one as it's not worth 4 times the price of my Z5 but it's a worthy improvement at US$1250. I wonder how much improvement I'll see after doing the break in. Going to leave my PC on and set a looping playlist on Music Center and let it run overnight for the next few days.

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #12,459 of 15,280
Well, Finally got mine, was planning on picking them up in Japan (15% cheaper between the domestic price and not having to pay sales tax), then Covid hit and I have not made a trip there in the last 30 months. But I guess thing do eventually work out as with the recent drop in the Yen, I was able to ask my friend in Hong Kong to pick me up a pair for US$1250 and bring it to me. Initial impression is pretty similar to when I listened to them almost 3 years ago. The include balanced cable is ok but using the Sony/Kimber balanced was smoother, the high is no longer super bright and the lower mid took a step forward using my PHA-2A. I probably would have been a bit disappointed if I paid ~US$1700 +10% tax on one as it's not worth 4 times the price of my Z5 but it's a worthy improvement at US$1250. I wonder how much improvement I'll see after doing the break in. Going to leave my PC on and set a looping playlist on Music Center and let it run overnight for the next few days.

Welcome to the Z1R family :)

Without opening another debate about cables or burn-in, I think that speaking about the Z1R, the main difference is about proper fit and tips, more than cables and burn in. A lot of people say that these are very source dependant, but I have not had the opportunity to try them on my main rig... I am very happy just using a dongle, so I hope I can find more improvement in the future.

In any case, there are two clear fits, one with bigger tips, it is comfortable at the beginning, but it creates hot spots in the outer ear because the piece is kept too outside (you can can see it on the Joshua Valour video), and then you can use smaller tips, deep insertion, that can be too invasive at the beginning, but it's more comfortable on the long run.

Surprinsigly, I have not found clear differences between the two fits. Maybe more mids and treble clarity with the deep insertion, and more width with the non deep insertion. But overall it is a small difference you have to be concentrated on finding the differences.

However, I have found clear differences between tips. The Sony foam tips are really smooth and comfortable, but I lose the amazing bass that these provide, mids are too forward and treble detail is not right for me. The silicon tips are much better. They are comfortable and sound great.

I have also tried Spinfit, Azla (standard, short, crystal and Xelastec) and each of them show different characteristics. Spinfit more similar to the Sonys, and the Azla have a bit slightly less bass, and some more mid and treble presence. All these tips are on the non deep insertion, because I usually use the L size, but for deep insertion I need the MS.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #12,460 of 15,280
Shameless plug, but my Z1R up for grabs in the EU only if anyone interested. My larger right ear canal refuses to play ball with absolute any tips I try... a real shame as they sound fantastic for the short period I can listen.

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #12,461 of 15,280
Shameless plug, but my Z1R up for grabs in the EU only if anyone interested. My larger right ear canal refuses to play ball with absolute any tips I try... a real shame as they sound fantastic for the short period I can listen.
Sorry to read this D. Glws, though.

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #12,462 of 15,280

I assume that you have already tried what I mention before, but deep insertion with much smaller tips have worked well for me. They are the only iems that I have to use this way.

I have big ears, no problem with the Clairvoyances, and I am usually between XL and L tips, but with these I prefer the second smallest size of the silicone, and I really 'rape' my ear canals with them. They are clearly designed for the deep insertion. In my case they start to feel uncomfortable after two hours of use, but I don't usually do longer sessions.

My main problem with these is that I like so much how they sound that sometimes I listen to music too high, and that's something I have to really take care.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #12,463 of 15,280
Sorry to read this D. Glws, though.

Yes it was a tough decision - tried countless tips and just can't get beyond 30 minutes if I'm lucky, and that's with frequent adjustments.

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #12,464 of 15,280
I assume that you have already tried what I mention before, but deep insertion with much smaller tips have worked well for me. They are the only iems that I have to use this way.

I have big ears, no problem with the Clairvoyances, and I am usually between XL and L tips, but with these I prefer the second smallest size of the silicone, and I really 'rape' my ear canals with them. They are clearly designed for the deep insertion. In my case they start to feel uncomfortable after two hours of use, but I don't usually do longer sessions.

My main problem with these is that I like so much how they sound that sometimes I listen to music too high, and that's something I have to really take care.

Yeah I've tried so many different tips and sizes, I think I have a wide but not deep ear canal - smaller tips just fall out, if I attempt to push deeper, the metal hurts my ears.

Totally understand the volume thing, I was very much inclined to crank it up even in my short sessions!

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #12,465 of 15,280
Yes it was a tough decision - tried countless tips and just can't get beyond 30 minutes if I'm lucky, and that's with frequent adjustments.
It once more confirms that the Z1R is a hit or miss, big time, mainly due to the fit. Then, come the « thin » mids. I am lucky enough to have a CIEM-like fit and the mids are perfect to me.

You are doing right selling them, if trying to get a proper fit did not work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back