SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 8, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #11,822 of 15,307
The ier z1r with the lpgt ti is an absolutely amazing combo. I could leave the hobby just with this combo

Apr 8, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #11,823 of 15,307
I only have the N3, IER-Z1R, XBA-100 and XBA-Z5 and I’ve never seen those tips.
Had XBA 100 as well yeah I know it ain't in it, I only Mentioned the Z5 alongside my claims because I always thought the two have identical accessories. Just that the Z5 have bigger box and its cable and case has black accent instead of red. Maybe the foam is also black there so closer to EX1000? Well who knows it's clearly not a very popular eartips style, the foam make the silicon hard to stay inside, as it's pretty rigid foam thus doesn't really conform to your ear canal that well.

Apr 8, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #11,824 of 15,307
Well, they HAVE to make something? Progression never totally stands still! But it has had quite the journey and history!
Yeah well making gears are are literally their whole business, unless they strike gold, nay gold mine like HD600 is, they have to keep their products and brand name relevant by refreshing it periodically with iterative "upgrades". It's just we don't know whether they are doing it with intention or not, somewhere in the back of my mind I just can't shake off the feeling that they leave things on the table when they make an IEM, and that ain't a feeling I want to have, especially on a flagship product.:worried:

If I just believe their spirit on innovating tho, it's a good mindset to keep on improving, being small is also flexible in its development and release schedule, something the giants can't do, but on the flipside its also what make each of their release more "significant" in their product history for me.

Apr 10, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #11,825 of 15,307
Plussound just confirmed the shipping of my X6 Series copper cable. I am ok with IER-Z1R stock cable, but I am confident the X6 will improve comfort.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #11,827 of 15,307
I just posted a WTB in classified, if you have Z1R for sale, please let me know

Apr 18, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #11,828 of 15,307
Just bought one from a fellow Headfier, I am aboard :)

Apr 18, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #11,829 of 15,307
Just bought one from a fellow Headfier, I am aboard :)
Welcome to the SS Z1R, the ship will be leaving shortly. We hope your travels will be adventurous and exciting!

Apr 19, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #11,830 of 15,307
This is close to becoming a permanent setup! :ksc75smile:
Sony-PW 4.jpg

Apr 19, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #11,832 of 15,307
Please tell us the benefits of the C9 with the 1Z and Z1R. I'm seriously considering the C9.
Get the C9 G. It’s a fantastic amp with different flavors. It drives the Sonys incredibly well and you really hear the differences depending on the settings. Cannot speak about the 1Z, but both of my DAPs (mid-tier - P6K and SR25MK2) are on LSD modus with the C9.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #11,833 of 15,307
Please tell us the benefits of the C9 with the 1Z and Z1R. I'm seriously considering the C9.
To start, I've always enjoyed the synergy between the 1Z and Z1R. The 1Z seems to highlight the bass and treble with a nice analog texture, but more importantly maintains great detail and space, and doesn't leave the mids in the background, as maybe other DAPs may tend to do; it seems to balance it all out very nicely. I've never been too concerned with the 1Z being underpowered, as some deem it to be, because it's always overcome that by producing such a smooth yet detailed tonality with my iems, especially the Z1R. But adding the C9 to the mix, the extra power really does bump up the dynamics of the 1Z. Hard for me to describe, but it makes the bass tighter, the soundstage wider, and overall, improves the clarity of instruments and vocals. Plus, it's so easy to change from a more smooth analog sound to a slightly edgier, detailed solid state sound switching between the SS and tube options, depending on what you're listening to. Bear in mind, I don't want to make it sound like the C9 is going to improve the 1Z's sq by 50%, the 1Z is a beautiful sounding DAP on it's own, IMO. But to my ears, it does bring noticeable improvements. YMMV!

Apr 20, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #11,834 of 15,307
To start, I've always enjoyed the synergy between the 1Z and Z1R. The 1Z seems to highlight the bass and treble with a nice analog texture, but more importantly maintains great detail and space, and doesn't leave the mids in the background, as maybe other DAPs may tend to do; it seems to balance it all out very nicely. I've never been too concerned with the 1Z being underpowered, as some deem it to be, because it's always overcome that by producing such a smooth yet detailed tonality with my iems, especially the Z1R. But adding the C9 to the mix, the extra power really does bump up the dynamics of the 1Z. Hard for me to describe, but it makes the bass tighter, the soundstage wider, and overall, improves the clarity of instruments and vocals. Plus, it's so easy to change from a more smooth analog sound to a slightly edgier, detailed solid state sound switching between the SS and tube options, depending on what you're listening to. Bear in mind, I don't want to make it sound like the C9 is going to improve the 1Z's sq by 50%, the 1Z is a beautiful sounding DAP on it's own, IMO. But to my ears, it does bring noticeable improvements. YMMV!
Thank you, those are the types of improvements I'd like to hear if I get a C9, plus I believe it would add the necessary power to properly drive the MDR-Z1R with the 1Z. It's between a C9 and a TA-ZH1ES.

Apr 20, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #11,835 of 15,307
Thank you, those are the types of improvements I'd like to hear if I get a C9, plus I believe it would add the necessary power to properly drive the MDR-Z1R with the 1Z. It's between a C9 and a TA-ZH1ES.
I think unless you need portability and the warmer "tube" sound, I might still go with the Tazzy.

I was highly impressed by the C9 don't get me wrong. It powered the Diana Phi really well too and it might even have an even more powerful output than the Tazzy, but for synergy and as an overall "all-in-one" source. The Tazzy still takes the cake for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back