SONY IER-Z1R
Nov 26, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #9,301 of 15,265
Why these IEMs so harsh? I use Hugo 2, Mojo source... I tried every different type of tip.
I have Andromeda 2020, Solaris OG, Nio, U12t, none of them are harsh to me.
Shallow insertion depth made it harsh for me. I had to downsize to the smallest tip possible, to negate the issue.

Nov 26, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #9,302 of 15,265
Why these IEMs so harsh? I use Hugo 2, Mojo source... I tried every different type of tip.
I’ve tried all of the IEM’s mentioned except for Nio and the Z1R’s treble comes across as a lot less abrasive than the Solaris OG and Andromeda's to me. Are you sure you are getting a good seal / good insertion?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #9,303 of 15,265

Yes it can be a bit harsh. Try to use tips with wide bore and have the deepest insertion possible. After experimenting for the last 1.5 years, I just recently managed to reduce the harshness by using Tennmak Whirlwind tips medium size with a very very deep insertion.

Nov 26, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #9,304 of 15,265
Either all these iems are of a.laidback signature, like the koss pp, but I sont find my Z1R harh at all, if sometimes a bit harh its brief and perhaps depends on mastering quality of albums

Nov 26, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #9,305 of 15,265

I don’t find them in any way harsh

Nov 26, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #9,306 of 15,265
It could be the synergy with your sources? I’ve never heard a chord product before but I believe they are more on the analytical side of the tonality spectrum (please correct me if I am wrong)

Z1R’s seem to pair best with neutral to warm sounding sources.

Nov 26, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #9,307 of 15,265
It could be the synergy with your sources? I’ve never heard a chord product before but I believe they are more on the analytical side of the tonality spectrum (please correct me if I am wrong)

Could you name a couple Damz87? My pair will be arriving any time now!

Nov 26, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #9,308 of 15,265
Could you name a couple Damz87? My pair will be arriving any time now!
I haven’t heard very many DAPs, so I’m probably not the best person to ask unfortunately lol... But out of the ones I have tried, my preference order would be:

1. iBasso DX220 Max
2. A&K KANN Alpha
3. Sony WM1Z (with DMP-WM1 custom firmware)
4. Sony ZX507

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #9,309 of 15,265
The WM1Z is the nicest-looking DAP I've laid my eyes on. That price tho...

And have you tried any appropriate desktop DAC/amps?

Nov 26, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #9,310 of 15,265
The WM1Z is the nicest-looking DAP I've laid my eyes on. That price tho...

And have you tried any appropriate desktop DAC/amps?
Not many, sorry :frowning2: however I do own a Sony TA-ZH1ES & DMP-Z1 which both sound excellent with the Z1R. There’s a few TA-ZH1ES & Z1R owners around this thread that can hopefully chime in and share their thoughts as well, but I certainly believe they are a great pair up.

The DMP-Z1 takes it a step further again, but the improvement probably isn’t worth the almost 4x price difference imho.

Nov 26, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #9,311 of 15,265

h2 is monstrously technical, but the mojo is actually quite warm.

Nov 26, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #9,312 of 15,265
Damn I might be beating a dead horse here but these are the worst fitting IEMs in history — and I've tried many. I have relatively big ears too, so I can only shudder to think how people with smaller ears suffer.
Frustratingly it's only the left ear that spits them straight out, the right fits better ( as in, still torturous but deep at least).
These will be a catch and release most likely, I just can't fit them in and not a single tip they came with helps to get a comfortable seal.

Any tips or is it just hopeless and they simply don't agree with the anatomy of my ear ?

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #9,313 of 15,265
Damn I might be beating a dead horse here but these are the worst fitting IEMs in history — and I've tried many. I have relatively big ears too, so I can only shudder to think how people with smaller ears suffer.
Frustratingly it's only the left ear that spits them straight out, the right fits better ( as in, still torturous but deep at least).
These will be a catch and release most likely, I just can't fit them in and not a single tip they came with helps to get a comfortable seal.

Any tips or is it just hopeless and they simply don't agree with the anatomy of my ear ?

The fit is pretty bad compared to other iems. Took me about a week with lots of tip rolling and listening to find what works best for me. Now I can listen with virtually zero discomfort.

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #9,314 of 15,265

It is extremely individual. I have absolutely no problem (the Sony Z5 on the other hand were the worst ever for me) and people with all size ears have had no problems or massive problems

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #9,315 of 15,265

Yeah whoever is in charge of UX (user-experience) on the Z1R team blew it. These IEMs are sublime when you're able to achieve ideal fit/seal though, so are well worth the exercise of experimenting.

I have spent countless hours rolling through tips and custom-made "stuff" but think I may have arrived at a very achievable solution that could help. Will follow up later today with some photos and links...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back