SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 23, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #2,251 of 15,270
Better in what way? It sounds disproportionate to me.

Considering Third Eye Blind has the following average Dynamic Range figures for their following album/single releases:
- Jumper with DR8
- Third Eye Blind with DR8
- Blue with DR6 (!!!)
- Out of Vein with DR5 (!!!)

I’d say that the Z1R is doing it’s job if you think what you’re hearing is bad. Cleary these guys aren’t getting their albums mastered properly.

This one I hadn't heard before.

Apr 23, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #2,253 of 15,270

Yea, I think something is wrong. With the Z1R she sounds like she's timed out in a corner of the studio. She doesn't sound ideal with the HD650 but she comes out better, more forward. It's like DJ Pigeon was the top consultant on this tuning.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #2,254 of 15,270
This is an English website. Those 3200 IEMs are not in English speaking hands. It’s simple math.
242938A3-204E-4702-9A78-B1A22CC0E31F.jpeg

Yes. I heard they were all air dropped to the deep jungles of Singapore, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur. Where the locals had to blow dart the balloon package down as it was flying overhead.

Apr 23, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #2,255 of 15,270
This one I hadn't heard before.

What haven't you heard before? That YouTube video you linked sounds awful out of studio monitors and worse than the actual official music video from Rhino, which is still an atrocious mix.

I took a look at Third Eye Blind's output in the Dynamic Range Database and they get progressively worse over time as far as dynamic range goes. Loudness isn't the name of the game for a pop rock group like them so I have to suspect poor production work.

Yea, I think something is wrong. With the Z1R she sounds like she's timed out in a corner of the studio. She doesn't sound ideal with the HD650 but she comes out better, more forward. It's like DJ Pigeon was the top consultant on this tuning.

Again, I think its the mix. Debby Harry isn't forward on my studio monitors. The HD650 has a midrange emphasis so obviously she's going to be pushed forwards. You could have saved yourself $1700 or however much you spent on these Z1Rs if you could read graphs.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #2,256 of 15,270
Is the HD650 alone in having a midrange emphasis? And she's not really forward, it's relatively speaking hence why I said still not ideal. The only other headphone I've heard that I recall being this lifeless with vocals was the HD800S. Link me to something you consider properly done.

Yes. I heard they were all air dropped to the deep jungles of Singapore, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur. Where the locals had to blow dart the balloon package down as it was flying overhead.

?

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #2,257 of 15,270
By the power of Toto this one sounds ok:

Does it sound ok on your studio monitors? By the way, do you actually have the IER-Z1R?

You could have saved yourself $1700 or however much you spent on these Z1Rs if you could read graphs.

So which one is it in the end? Poorly mixed songs or me being unable to read graphs?

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #2,258 of 15,270
So which one is it in the end? Poorly mixed songs or me being unable to read graphs?

Both? If you wanted a headphone with a more forward presentation, get a headphone with a more forward presentation. The Z1R isn't going to give that to you, I contend that you could have figured that out from looking at the graphs alone.

I also didn't mention that Blondie song was terribly mixed or anything, its just how it is. I only made directly reference to the quality of that Third Eye Blind song you linked.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #2,259 of 15,270
I don't get these people, if you don't like it and not going to get it. Why question the decisions of others that do like it?

There isn't right or wrong...

Apr 23, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #2,260 of 15,270
Both? If you wanted a headphone with a more forward presentation, get a headphone with a more forward presentation. The Z1R isn't going to give that to you, I contend that you could have figured that out from looking at the graphs alone.

I also didn't mention that Blondie song was terribly mixed or anything, its just how it is. I only made directly reference to the quality of that Third Eye Blind song you linked.

This is a backward presentation. Perhaps that can be figured out just by looking at the frequency response graphs but I suppose I'm surprised nonetheless. I guess it's something to be more explicit about in the future when trying to gauge what to expect from purchases.

I'll burn them in for a week, subsequently it appears I'll sell. At this point I actually see no redeeming feature. What does your graph tell you? You're not one of the people who believes the graph encapsulates it all, right?

Apr 23, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #2,261 of 15,270
What does your graph tell you? You're not one of the people who believes the graph encapsulates it all, right?

That you were going to get a lot of bass, that the bass rise begins at 200hz, and that its got a U shaped frequency response.

No, I don't think the graph encapsulates all. Yes, I think its strange that you bought a pair of kilobuck IEMs blind despite a treasure trove of information could have probably told you that these aren't for you. Your purchasing history is nothing but scattershot.

Apr 23, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #2,262 of 15,270
Slight V-shape is a very standard sound signature

Apr 23, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #2,264 of 15,270

Well if you dislike the moderate bass boost and comparatively recessed lower mids, then the Z1R wasn’t the right choice in the first place. (But the 650 also has a bass boost...?)

Maybe you’d be happier with an all-BA setup instead. Who knows.

Apr 23, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #2,265 of 15,270
The 650 doesn't sound obtrusive to me. One thing you aren't talking about is the quality of the bass. Combine the punch of the Focal Clear with the texture, variety, and rumble of the HD800S and you probably wouldn't need exaggerated quantity or boom to get a kick out of bass. I thought these very expensive iems would be technically proficient to justify their prices but I was mistaken. This entire signature sounds off. I'm not sure the problem with the mids is entirely comparative either, but what do I know.

Anyone know a history of headphone, iem, and what it takes to drive them prices? I wonder how this all came to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back