SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 12, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #1,966 of 15,450
How many people have heard the fw10000 vs the z1r? Thoughts? I've been going across the threads of the respective iems and I'm confused now. Jmills8 swears by the fw10k but unfortunately there's no agreement.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #1,967 of 15,450
How many people have heard the fw10000 vs the z1r? Thoughts? I've been going across the threads of the respective iems and I'm confused now. Jmills8 swears by the fw10k but unfortunately there's no agreement.
That's not surprising, as with all such comparisons, it really comes down to preference. I spent some time with both, and did not find the JVC interesting.

The overall tonality wasn't my cup of tea, would not get it personally.

Apr 12, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #1,968 of 15,450
They do not :frowning2: so we would have to use a forwarding service, never used one before though
There are always options for purchasing direct from Japan/Southeast Asia, but you'd need to be aware of the warranty limitations (at the very least you'd have to ship it back if any problems).

It's not for everyone, but certainly possible. I'm not going to link anything here openly, but if anyone is curious enough just PM.

Apr 12, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #1,970 of 15,450
The bass was not as textured/extended to me, the vocals I tested with my usual tracks sounded slightly off, overall I just couldn't take it seriously.

As I said, this is for my preferences, and it was pretty clear cut. It may not be so for others. BTW I was using my Walkman for comparison, if that matters.

Apr 12, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #1,971 of 15,450
I tried many times to like this but my impression doesn’t change. It sound like refined M9, which itself a feat as M9 is very fine TOTL IEM. However the sound sig is not my preference.

I would say if you like warm mellow sound, Z1R is for you. For lively and energetic sound, FW10K. Both IEM true to their house tuning.

Apr 12, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #1,972 of 15,450
I have both. Z1R sound is more defined with bass that more focus on sub-bass region while the 10K has more balance between mid-bass and sub-bass. Z1R also sound more textured in general. Treble on the Z1R is sharper and more revealing but also more fatiguing to me. FW10k sound somewhat warmer in comparison to Z1R with more forward midrange (Z1R is mild V-shape) and maybe a bit more correct sounding (in midrange) as I think Z1R mid could sound weird at time. Z1R has faster transient response. Soundstage on both are class-leading but Z1R has better defined stage while FW10K is more spacious with more headroom. FW10K is more musical sounding of the two.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #1,973 of 15,450
If you haven't pre-ordered it, you can always just get a different IEM (Legend X, Trinity SS, U12t, U18t, whatever) - it's not like the Z1R is the single greatest thing out there. And if you need one right now, you can always order one from somewhere that does have it in stock.

Releasing something and having it run out of stock isn't really that unusual.

Yes, Noble Khan will be a good choice too.

I was able to hear the Khan the following day after spending a day with the IER-Z1R. The Khan just didn’t have the authority nor was I at all into how the midrange was presented?

Over all the Khan midrange is more upfront and offers much more detail, with a bunch of stuff going on there. I respect those who gravitate towards that style of signature, though due to the IEMs being polar opposites, don’t ever forsee someone owning and liking both.

The Khan sound was technical but maybe slighly plasticity? For me there was simply no emotion there, it was almost frigid?

I realize that there are folks into the Khan sound, though it did nothing for me. The Khan sounded toy-like in comparison to the IER-Z1R, which is actually amusing to me given the name it’s called.

For some the IER-Z1R IS the single greatest thing out there. It simply depends what sound you want. IMO

Also don’t forget about the buzzing issue the Khan has with some phones, to the point they offer it as a forced package to use an included Dragonfly Red with every Kahn sold at some places in South Korea. What a band-aid?

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #1,974 of 15,450
I was able to hear the Khan the following day after spending a day with the IER-Z1R. The Khan just didn’t have the authority nor was I at all into how the midrange was presented?

Over all the Khan midrange is more upfront and offers much more detail, with a bunch of stuff going on there. I respect those who gravitate towards that style of signature, though due to the IEMs being polar opposites, don’t ever forsee someone owning and liking both.

The Khan sound was technical but maybe slighly plasticity? For me there was simply no emotion there, it was almost frigid?

I realize that there are folks into the Khan sound, though it did nothing for me. The Khan sounded toy-like in comparison to the IER-Z1R, which was actually amusing to me given the name it’s called.

For some the IER-Z1R IS the single greatest thing out there. It simply depends what sound you want. IMO

My point really is that there isn’t a consensus on what the single greatest IEM is. Some will call the Z1R the best IEM out there, just as others will say that it’s the KSE1500, or A12t, or Flamenco, or whatever. (Personally I think the Khan loses to all of those... and more)

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #1,975 of 15,450
My point really is that there isn’t a consensus on what the single greatest IEM is. Some will call the Z1R the best IEM out there, just as others will say that it’s the KSE1500, or A12t, or Flamenco, or whatever. (Personally I think the Khan loses to all of those... and more)

Yes, that’s the best thing is having a buddy who cherishes a completely different sound signature. You can sit across from each other and completely witness him falling for the different signature. It’s all good. The world is somehow made up of different listeners. Lol.

Nothing will make all happy.

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #1,976 of 15,450
Apr 12, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #1,977 of 15,450
Yea, that coincidentally changed after I brought it up. I would imagine they have no idea and just pushed it back. Even the two fw10k vs z1r impressions on this page sound contradictory to me so I'm all around -_- at the moment.

Apr 12, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #1,978 of 15,450
The Sony IER-Z1R experience:
gsM3Lt5.gif

Apr 12, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #1,980 of 15,450
With all this waiting, I'm starting to reconsider the KSE1200. I could have that in a couple days :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back