SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 25, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #15,091 of 15,290
I intended to acquire some more tips when I was in Japan but ran out of time. At e earphone you have a whole corner for tips, with a couple of cabinets of tips in all sizes to demo. My focus was on iems, and after demoing about 20 I ran out of time and was totally overstimulated to focus on the finer details of tips. I was trying to find some of the Azlas that were recommended here but got confused with all their different types (also tws). I quickly tried the Corier but they didn't stand out to me, and every tip in the different sizes had tarnished. A while back I bought the Final E and a Fiio mixed set, I ended up using the Fiio set 'bass' tips, ironically not for the bass (maybe they work for their iems), but they seemed to add some detail and impression of better staging.

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #15,092 of 15,290
I intended to acquire some more tips when I was in Japan but ran out of time. At e earphone you have a whole corner for tips, with a couple of cabinets of tips in all sizes to demo. My focus was on iems, and after demoing about 20 I ran out of time and was totally overstimulated to focus on the finer details of tips. I was trying to find some of the Azlas that were recommended here but got confused with all their different types (also tws). I quickly tried the Corier but they didn't stand out to me, and every tip in the different sizes had tarnished. A while back I bought the Final E and a Fiio mixed set, I ended up using the Fiio set 'bass' tips, ironically not for the bass (maybe they work for their iems), but they seemed to add some detail and impression of better staging.
Seems like e-earphone is a very cool store

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #15,093 of 15,290
Seems like e-earphone is a very cool store
It's heaven.
Probably there are other stores around the world offering a similar experience, but coming from a country that has very limited audio brands available, limited demo models (almost no iem because of hygiene), and returns accepted only for faulty products, it is a real treat.
You can just walk around and demo iems from every tier, headphones, daps, dac/amps, tips, cables, new, used, until your hearts content, or wallet empty.
Otherwise, it's dealing with exchange rates, shipping prices, taxes, delivery times etc and then disappointment if it's the wrong size, or you don't like the sound.
1000005271.jpg

(no in-store pics - this is from 5 years ago, possibly holding my Denon D5200)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #15,095 of 15,290
No I have no fit problems with the Z1R and can wear them a whole day if needed. Only issue is that I have to use 3rd party tips as none of the Sony stock tips are big enough to get a propper seal as I have huge ear canals, my shells for my custom JH13 are about the same size as the entire Z1R house. My problem with the Z5 was that because of the shape of the house, even with LL tips I could not get it deep enough into the ear canal to get a good fit/seal
Yeah. I think the Z5 is so narrow nozzled that if you try to get seal with xtra large tips and cant get them deep enough, they are gonna fall or not seal right. I get enough friction so they arent moving in my ear canal when running. I can’t use any larger size past medium as all of my iems will just pop out of ear canal.

also, Is consensus of Z1R here that they are so heavy that if you jump or run with them, then they will fall out regardless of fit?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #15,096 of 15,290
Yeah. I think the Z5 is so narrow nozzled that if you try to get seal with xtra large tips and cant get them deep enough, they are gonna fall or not seal right. I get enough friction so they arent moving in my ear canal when running. I can’t use any larger size past medium as all of my iems will just pop out of ear canal.

also, Is consensus of Z1R here that they are so heavy that if you jump or run with them, then they will fall out regardless of fit?
I guess it depends. For me, I am wearing Z1R in my two-hour running/jogging, I have to use a headband to hold it in place. You don't need to wrap the IEM itself, but you have to wrap the cable hook.

On the other hand, if I am wearing Z1R in my home, Z1R will fall out of my ears if I move a little bit.

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #15,097 of 15,290
I guess it depends. For me, I am wearing Z1R in my two-hour running/jogging, I have to use a headband to hold it in place. You don't need to wrap the IEM itself, but you have to wrap the cable hook.

On the other hand, if I am wearing Z1R in my home, Z1R will fall out of my ears if I move a little bit.

You move a lot more than just run and jump then at home 🤣

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #15,098 of 15,290
I think with proper tips ..IER-Z1R can be really stable in the ears. With Azla SednaEarfit Max ASMR inserted to maximum available on the IER-Z1R nozzle => I can shake my head hardly without any issue, I can nearly lay down with my head on the side without significant issue and still get the proper sound.
Those tips are really comfortable for hours (no ear canal irritation after hours using them) with almost same type of sound quality of Sony's genuine tips.
I think those are worth to give a try.
1709019290034.png

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #15,099 of 15,290
I think with proper tips ..IER-Z1R can be really stable in the ears. With Azla SednaEarfit Max ASMR inserted to maximum available on the IER-Z1R nozzle => I can shake my head hardly without any issue, I can nearly lay down with my head on the side without significant issue and still get the proper sound.
Those tips are really comfortable for hours (no ear canal irritation after hours using them) with almost same type of sound quality of Sony's genuine tips.
I think those are worth to give a try.
1709019290034.png

How different are those to Sedna Max? I know they are available for a while already but the Max one have more bass, specially midbass focus boost, which I don't really like.

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #15,100 of 15,290
Sharing my strange method of wearing z1r. There is a straight wedge shape at the bottom of the iem, I position the wedge to my lower ear where there is a groove to my ear canal. This position will make the iem facing bit backward and pointing bit down too, and the tip will be at the opening of the ear canal, slightly inserted but slanted. Then I move my hand forward towards my front face, the wedge will grip the lower back of the ear canal and move the opposite direction of my hand movement, thus widening my ear canal. The front part of the tip will be inserted with this movement. Im not very good with description, maybe someone with fit problem can try this too.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #15,102 of 15,290
How different are those to Sedna Max? I know they are available for a while already but the Max one have more bass, specially midbass focus boost, which I don't really like.
the rubber of the tips is completely different and I feel ASMR are far less irritating my ear canal... for sound quality I agree with you that most the Azla tips increase usually the midbass level which can be an issue for you (so does the ASMR too).

Actually, these last years I have spent a lot time for searching the best comfort and seal for my tips. I have switched little by little from mostly Headphones use to mostly IEM use due to sweating issues with using headphones for hours.. and with IEM, unfortunately, I could be easily irritated by the rubber used for tips (foam is the most comfortable for hours but annoying as it takes a too long time to find the proper place and perfect sealing in the ear canal).

I think these two last year, the new tips are much better for long playing time.

Feb 27, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #15,103 of 15,290
the rubber of the tips is completely different and I feel ASMR are far less irritating my ear canal... for sound quality I agree with you that most the Azla tips increase usually the midbass level which can be an issue for you (so does the ASMR too).

Actually, these last years I have spent a lot time for searching the best comfort and seal for my tips. I have switched little by little from mostly Headphones use to mostly IEM use due to sweating issues with using headphones for hours.. and with IEM, unfortunately, I could be easily irritated by the rubber used for tips (foam is the most comfortable for hours but annoying as it takes a too long time to find the proper place and perfect sealing in the ear canal).

I think these two last year, the new tips are much better for long playing time.
Have you try spinfit Omni? It is like W1 but shorter stem, more suitable for Z1R, and pentaconn coreir if you haven't (with caveat it may stay in your canal when you pull out the IEM)
Both aren't itchy for me for long usage.

And if you prefer foam, you may like the latest invention from azla, the Azla sedna Foamax (yes with single "m") it's an azla shaped foam, with memory foam material, slow rebound foam and earwax guard on opening
1709033473002.png

Feb 27, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #15,104 of 15,290
Have you try spinfit Omni? It is like W1 but shorter stem, more suitable for Z1R, and pentaconn coreir if you haven't (with caveat it may stay in your canal when you pull out the IEM)
Both aren't itchy for me for long usage.

And if you prefer foam, you may like the latest invention from azla, the Azla sedna Foamax (yes with single "m") it's an azla shaped foam, with memory foam material, slow rebound foam and earwax guard on opening
1709033473002.png
So these would be family with the Symbio Mandarins?

Feb 27, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #15,105 of 15,290
So these would be family with the Symbio Mandarins?

Nope, looks like the azla foamax is purely foam like comply foam eartips, with more tacky outer umbrella for better seal (something like coating or with heat process) while symbio's are silicone eartips with foam snugged below the umbrella layer for better isolation. I'm not 100% sure since I haven't buy that Foamax (while I have symbios)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back