SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 7, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #14,986 of 15,281
That is not what the post you quoted is writing about?

I personally agree mmcx is not a good connector. Both Sony and Sennheiser use their own recessed housing to overcome the issues with mmcx. Neither is 2 pin a good connector, which has its own problems

Manufacturers with professional clientele like 64 Audio, Westone and Ultimate Ears Pro have all moved to IPX T2 by Estron, which from personal purchase experience of all 3 connectors I do find T2 is superior

My Sennheiser IE200 didn't last 2 months. I have had more than 20 IEMs and this is the first one to die on me. I will never ever buy anything else from Sennheiser because of this. IE200 was also my last MMCX connector IEM ever.

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #14,987 of 15,281
Wow 1000 pages. Z1R still going strong! :muscle:

I haven't been able to get the Pentaconn Brass tips to work for me with Z1R, but it's fine because Spinfit Omni work better with these than any tip I've yet tried. The fit with these tips is so good I feel like I could take Z1R jogging, not that I will be putting that to the test any time soon. I can't even intentionally lose my seal by trying to shake them out of my ears.

Sounds great out of the DX260(so spacious!) as well as having complimentary aesthetics.

Attachments

• 20240207_125401.jpg
    20240207_125401.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Feb 7, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #14,988 of 15,281
Woot 1000 pages! Keep rocking 🤘

Just ordered replacement cables and it’s otw (2 weeks ETA omg). Hope it works!

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #14,989 of 15,281
A thousand pages and the discussion is still going strong, I’m loving my pair they are the best IEM’s I’ve owned and I don’t see myself buying anything else for a long while. I have considered buying an extra balanced stock cable due to my carelessness I dropped the plug while cleaning them and have a small nick on the top but other than that they are working perfectly and pair pretty damn well with my ZX707.

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #14,990 of 15,281
I am a little bit disappointed by the power of WM1A2M, I have to dial to 80+ to make Z1R sing, change to high gain, still I need 70+. I have to say that 1A2M has more matured sound, but not that a big improvement over 1A, I may need more time to figure out since I just got my 1A2M.

After such a long time and tempted by numerous much higher priced IEMs, I still find Z1R very hard to replace. XE6 is close enough to called an upgraded Z1R, but not by too much.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #14,991 of 15,281
For me the IER-Z1R has always been one of my favorite IEMs and despite having purchased the Jewel which costs (including the cable) four times more than the IER-Z1R I always find listening to it very pleasant and "unique" also thanks to the Effect Audio Ares 8W. An excellent synergy for Sony is the one created with the Shanling H7... the sound expressed is very engaging and power galore for the IER-Z1R (1.3 watts at 32 ohm). A truly excellent combo and if you think about the price of the H7 you have to smile compared to how it sounds...

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #14,992 of 15,281
1000 pages of discussion for 1 IEM and new owners still keep coming. The Z1R has the best staying power.

Feb 8, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #14,993 of 15,281
For those that have BSEP for IER, how are the ergonomics / comfort vs stock?

Feb 8, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #14,994 of 15,281
My Sennheiser IE200 didn't last 2 months. I have had more than 20 IEMs and this is the first one to die on me. I will never ever buy anything else from Sennheiser because of this. IE200 was also my last MMCX connector IEM ever.

May I ask "die" in what way please

Quite a while back there were a couple of posters reporting broken cable / connector issues on the IER-Z1R, they even created a dedicated website about it

I do not think it was ever a widespread manufacturing thing given how many years the IER-Z1R has been on sale, it is unfortunate that sometimes bad luck can happen. It is more common to read about connector failures arising from using third party cables with the IER-Z1R. Third party cables will not normally have a recessed connector housing because most IEM manufacturers do not use that

Feb 8, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #14,995 of 15,281
Edit: wrong thread.

Feb 8, 2024 at 5:06 AM Post #14,996 of 15,281

Quite a while back there were a couple of posters reporting broken cable / connector issues on the IER-Z1R, they even created a dedicated website about it

I do not think it was ever a widespread manufacturing thing given how many years the IER-Z1R has been on sale, it is unfortunate that sometimes bad luck can happen. It is more common to read about connector failures arising from using third party cables with the IER-Z1R. Third party cables will not normally have a recessed connector housing because most IEM manufacturers do not use that
I agree with this. Most of the connector issues, iirc, were because of third party cables. The stock connectors are the easiest to remove, while most third party connectors need to almost be forced out. That can't be good. To date Z1R is the only IEM I use with the original stock cable, not only because I think it's an excellent cable tuned for the intended sound of the IEM, but also to avoid any unnecessary damage.

PS. The OG cable can still be bought for ~$150 from spares shops, which makes them very good value, even cheap, in the crazy world of cable prices.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #14,997 of 15,281
Feb 8, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #14,998 of 15,281
Thanks Benny!

Feb 8, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #14,999 of 15,281

Yes I swapped cables but I do swap cables with every IEM I have. This should not be an excuse. The right side has bad intermittent connection now. I have lived long enough to know if a product is built well or not, and the IE200 is a bad, cheaply made IEM.

Feb 8, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #15,000 of 15,281
15,000th post

IMG_1308.jpeg

🤩

TBH, this is not my favourite monitor. Trifecta won my heart for that spot. And many have criticised its recessed mids, a criticism that that’s perhaps not unfounded. And then there is this fit issue.

Despite these “faults” the IER-Z1R remains one of my favourites and will always remain in my collection. I enjoy how the songs and music are presented with the bass underpinning the whole experience. With the WM1ZM2, and the right tips, for me that’s Azla SednaEatfit Max at the moment, it’s audio bliss.

Hope I’ve done justice for this 15,000th post. 😃

IMG_1309.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back