SONY IER-Z1R
Jun 18, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #3,391 of 15,290
Now we've got to EQ the Z1R to improve their sound?

I get the feeling that the hype has hit its peak and the discontent of reality is starting to set in - and that before barely any reviewers have gotten them in their hands.

Sell, sell, sell!
I couldn't disagree more. I'm extremely pleased with these, and my appreciation grows. I frankly think they have a very sophisticated sound that may miss the mark for some listeners that need a very forward upper midrange, or exaggerated treble, to feel they are getting correct imaging. The spatial characteristics and timbre of the Z1R's are pretty remarkable. I find myself reaching for them at times even over my Final D8000's, which is surprising. And, if any critics trash them, just fine. Kudos to Sony for not gifting these to conflicted parties who can't afford to buy their own iem's, and are instead paid marketers.

(I'm guessing though, that your post was made in jest....)

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #3,392 of 15,290
Now we've got to EQ the Z1R to improve their sound?

I get the feeling that the hype has hit its peak and the discontent of reality is starting to set in - and that before barely any reviewers have gotten them in their hands.

Sell, sell, sell!
Let me know when you find the perfect iem that can never be improved upon and that sounds exactly the same with every DAP and/or amp that you use it with. Maybe you already have one, but that's something I haven't found yet or probably ever will. I will tweak with EQ, but I'm not expecting it to change the entire signature of the iem, so I better like the iem overall to begin with. And truly, the Z1R is a really great sounding iem. I can only speak for myself and my own personal taste, of course.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #3,395 of 15,290
I never use EQ - not all sources support it, and a transducer should be close enough to my preference to not need it.
Do you ever listen to a remastered album?

Jun 19, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #3,396 of 15,290
1560947471127894315518296535692.jpg

Jun 19, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #3,398 of 15,290
I just received the FiiO AM3D amp module for the Q5 DAC. It’s a THX amp with a 4.4mm output. It pairs very well with the Z1R as a reasonably priced portable DAC/amp.
Q5 with standard amp was one of my best DAC/AMP, really nice sound signature and enough power for all my headphones at that time, after that I started exploring DAPs. The X7MKII sounded really good too, but the OS was freaking annoying slow. Curious to see how the new "flagship" coming later this year will be.

Jun 19, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #3,399 of 15,290
Q5 with standard amp was one of my best DAC/AMP, really nice sound signature and enough power for all my headphones at that time, after that I started exploring DAPs. The X7MKII sounded really good too, but the OS was freaking annoying slow. Curious to see how the new "flagship" coming later this year will be.

The new M11 looks like an interesting DAP and has a 4.4mm output. I’m tempted to get one as my first DAP, but I primarily stream music through Tidal, Spotify, and Apple Match, so using a phone still seems a better option than a DAP for me.

Jun 19, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #3,400 of 15,290
The new M11 looks like an interesting DAP and has a 4.4mm output. I’m tempted to get one as my first DAP, but I primarily stream music through Tidal, Spotify, and Apple Match, so using a phone still seems a better option than a DAP for me.
Don't worry about streaming, I only use TIdal hi-fi/masters offline and sometimes online. Nothing else and I can tell that the experience changes a lot with an well implemented DAP. Apple music is the worst one, but you only have that on iPhone anyway (that works properly, Android app is a mess). Also, you're not draining your phone battery.

Jun 20, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #3,401 of 15,290
I'm gonna get a chance soon to compare the Anole VX to the IER-Z1R... I bought a 2nd hand one on the FS section here. I may have to turn loose of the one I like less unfortunately... Damn budget (or lack thereof).
I may have missed this. But what were your impressions between them? I'm almost pushing the trigger on the Anole VX. Heard it quickly on a store, but didn't have my Z1r to compare.

Jun 20, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #3,402 of 15,290
- The sound is nice and punchy, brings an extra bit of rawness that I was hoping to add to the Andromeda sound. Unfortunately, it comes at a cost. I think I figured out why I tend to turn up the volume more than usual: something is missing, or rather sounds too quiet, like it's coming from further away than it should and increasing the volume was my instinctive way of trying to bring that forward. It seems to be somewhere in the midrange and definitely affecting the vocals when compared to the Andromeda S. Maybe I will get used to it, but for now it's the only thing I'm not happy with. This and the zing in the treble that I'm still trying to find, lolz.

My experience is very different than yours. I tends to listen at low volume, sometimes, when using Andromeda with my Opus, I used volume 1! However, none of the IEM is able to do what IER-Z1R can do, even at the very low volume, the deep bass and treble both are still present and lively. It is a very weird experience like listening to a concert outside of the concert hall but still is able to hear every thing clearly, including the mids. It is like walking on the street at night, passing a concert hall and heard a very good concert then decide to stand outside of the concert to enjoy the great music. When listening to Jazz on low volume, it is so satisfying.

Jun 20, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #3,403 of 15,290
I may have missed this. But what were your impressions between them? I'm almost pushing the trigger on the Anole VX. Heard it quickly on a store, but didn't have my Z1r to compare.

Hey -- No, you haven't missed anything... I've just been super busy and a bit under the weather lately, so haven't posted about them yet. I have gathered some thoughts about both IEMs though. Basically they're two different beasts. As in both are beastly IEMs (in a great manner of speaking) just in different ways. Both have a fantastic sense of space.

For soundstage, the VX has more height in its presentation, yet is narrower than the Z1R, and as such creates more of a tight sphere around the listener's head. The Z1R by contrast doesn't have as much height, but is much more stretched horizontally with sounds emanating from significantly further away (as well as close in to the head). For the low end, as amazing as the bass is on the VX for a BA driver arrangement, it can't touch the impactful slam of the Z1R.... and I like that about dynamic driver IEMs. So that's a plus in the Z1R's corner. I feel the treble is a bit brighter on the Sony too. So there's this sense of more dynamic extension on each end vs. the VX. The VX by comparison is more relaxed, while still being equally as detailed. There just isn't quite as much space between instruments though due to that narrower stage. I do think the VX does vocals and mids noticeably better because there is no sense of recession like there is on the Z1R. When it comes down to it, it's almost a toss-up. I really wish I could keep both, but I had to sell one and since I prefer that dynamic driver low end and wider sense of space, I am keeping the Z1R. Neither is perfect, even at these prices, but I think the Z1R ticks more of the boxes for my listening preferences. I really feel that one really can't go wrong with either of these IEMs.

Hope that helps....

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #3,404 of 15,290
Hey -- No, you haven't missed anything... I've just been super busy and a bit under the weather lately, so haven't posted about them yet. I have gathered some thoughts about both IEMs though. Basically they're two different beasts. As in both are beastly IEMs (in a great manner of speaking) just in different ways. Both have a fantastic sense of space.

For soundstage, the VX has more height in its presentation, yet is narrower than the Z1R, and as such creates more of a tight sphere around the listener's head. The Z1R by contrast doesn't have as much height, but is much more stretched horizontally with sounds emanating from significantly further away (as well as close in to the head). For the low end, as amazing as the bass is on the VX for a BA driver arrangement, it can't touch the impactful slam of the Z1R.... and I like that about dynamic driver IEMs. So that's a plus in the Z1R's corner. I feel the treble is a bit brighter on the Sony too. So there's this sense of more dynamic extension on each end vs. the VX. The VX by comparison is more relaxed, while still being equally as detailed. There just isn't quite as much space between instruments though due to that narrower stage. I do think the VX does vocals and mids noticeably better because there is no sense of recession like there is on the Z1R. When it comes down to it, it's almost a toss-up. I really wish I could keep both, but I had to sell one and since I prefer that dynamic driver low end and wider sense of space, I am keeping the Z1R. Neither is perfect, even at these prices, but I think the Z1R ticks more of the boxes for my listening preferences. I really feel that one really can't go wrong with either of these IEMs.

Hope that helps....
Thanks a lot for the comparison, in this case the VX is tending to be more like my A12T. I love the Z1r sound, really do, but the fit is not for me, would like to have something like the Z1R but with a better fit. Legend X maybe.

Let me know when you put the VX for sale, I may be the buyer. :)

Jun 20, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #3,405 of 15,290
I've been solely using the Z1R for the past few weeks, though I'm still on the fence on if it will be my long-term preferred IEM (compared to the Solaris, for example).

With the right amplification, 95% of the time I love it, but with some bass heavy tracks the Z1R are too bassy, to the point I have to lower the volume to reduce the discomfort and the mids disappear.

Sure, it's impossible to find an ideal in bass levels to match every recording, but I do think the Z1R emphasize the bass a little too much from what might be an ideal. The Solaris (and several other IEMs) strike a better balance in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back